Are old photos of Martin and Zimmerman deceptive?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by AustinBat, Mar 31, 2012.

1. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Ya think? Even the MSM is having to admit fault. When I first heard about this, I was appalled. But as more facts came out and the media coverage became really over-the-top, I'm not sure what really happened. And neither is anyone else whose opinion is based on what they have "read" about the case. We certainly don't know, and may never know. I hope that the system can work and that people can come to terms with what happens. I think there are some who wouldn't be satisfied unless Zimmerman is hanged in the courthouse square. They DO NOT KNOW what happened, and to pretend that they do based on cherry-picking things to bolster their opinion is full of it. The same is true of people who want Zimmerman to walk. Only Martin and Zimmerman know exactly what happened, and one of them is unfortunately not here to tell his side. And as far as I have seen none of the witnesses saw the whole confrontation. I cannot determine without reasonable doubt whether Zimmerman shot without provocation or whether he was confronted and attacked by Martin. So everyone needs to just calm down and let the police and the courts do their job. The system is not perfect (see OJ Simpson) but it's what we've got.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

without pictures, for examples, this thread really is sort of useless at this point. just saying.

I am really shocked at how major media either did not investigate enough to find current pictures or purposely mislead the public into a mouth frothing frenzy. Now people have to either admit they were duped and played for suckers who took the bait or continue on with their drivel based on lies.

3. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I thought it was pretty weird to have the whole article and to still show the same photos. I've only seen current photos on Fox News, but of course they are biased. I looked at their website, though, and they have the same photos, so maybe that wasn't where I saw them. They were of an older Martin and a more current photo of Zimmerman that wasn't a mugshot.

4. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

5. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I changed my post when I checked the Fox website. So apparently Fox is just as bad.

6. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

It's the news, which is entertainment.

It's not even about bias.

It's about treating the news the ESPN does, fomenting upset between this tribe and that so as to keep interest, internet hits, viewership, etc.

This case is fascinating for the way it crosses race, ideas and practices of liberty, media studies, etc.

A number of news outlets are not referring to Zimmerman as a white Hispanic, which is technically in keeping with the way the government maintains their stats. Still, one doesn't often see such distinctions writ plain and large in the media. They know Z 'looks' hispanic, but they need his whiteness to make this case easily digestible as a point of national contention. Amusing.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I shut somebody down who checked me when I mentioned Zimmerman being Hispanic. I let them have their rant about this and that. I then reminded them that Zimmerman is as much Hispanic as Obama is black and that they no longer get to call him black. They have to call him Asian now. We have an Asian President. Or...Zimmerman is Hispanic and they don't get to pick and choose what they want in a story or how it reads as if it were the Bible or a Shakespeare play.

Ooops. You don't get it both ways. (that's what she said)

8. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

AB
    Your OP suggests taking a deep breath and letting the system we have work.
    I hope everyone can.

This from your OP should say it all
    "I hope that the system can work and that people can come to terms with what happens."

surely we can ALL agree with that.