Are our players shell-shocked?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TheFied, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

2. blueglasshorse

blueglasshorse 1,000+ Posts

I see Mack at Basketball games. He need to spend some time with Rick Barnes on clock management. Basketball coaches live and die by clock management all the time. Football coaches less so.

3. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Mack ****** up. He forgot to take the fans feelings into account with time running out. He is very inconsiderate at the very least. Someone come hold me and pass me a Midol

4. CrazyFoo'

CrazyFoo' 250+ Posts

Taps - there is a report on ESPN with Colt quoted he didn't know the clock stopped only after the ball hit the ground on an incomplete pass. There is a post on it somewhere. He man-ed up and took the blame. that's why Colt is a better man than 99% of us.

5. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

7. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Here's the link

The article says he didn't know the rule, but watch the interview he did on ESPN today. He never mentions the rule when asked about the play. He says they run that play all the time in practice and he knows how long he has

9. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

So after requesting official citations, you're now conveniently dismissing an AP article that's been used by, at the very least, ESPN.com and Yahoo Sports?

10. jmanh

jmanh 25+ Posts

With so much riding on this game, I'm still shell-shocked about our not putting away the Huskers earlier. It shouldn't have come down to the final play of the game to sew up a victory against an opponent with such an anemic offense. Granted their defense is very good, but I think we played right into their hands.

Then again, Kirkendoll makes that catch and we're up 17-6. The Huskers now have to take chances on offense and a frantic Zac Lee throws an interception. Now there's a short field for our offense and the Husker defense, seeing the writing on the wall, loses some intensity. We score, it's 24-6, which is the type of outcome that most of us expected.

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

12. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

A screw up would have been leaving NU time on the clock for a kick off and potential return for a TD

14. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

Then why did you request a link that you had no intention of believing?

15. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Well, the link had a video interview with Colt which I do believe. Besides, how much time do you think elapsed from the time the ball crossed the first down marker until it hit something?

16. UTFan2

UTFan2 250+ Posts

17. balter

balter 100+ Posts

I can't imagine how anyone could argue that no mistake was made, or that Colt knew exactly what he was doing. Give me a break...Colt said right after the game he knew he had 15 seconds (when he actually had 6 or 7).

You really think he saw the clock and lofted a pass way out of bounds at such a trajectory that he knew would land with a half second to go? Do you really think ANYONE intended for him to snap the ball with 6 or 7 seconds left?

Don't get me wrong I'm not here to throw Colt under the bus, these kids make mistakes, but to sit here and argue that everyone had everything under control and it went down the way it was supposed to is completely ignorant of all reality.

18. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

I thought an earlier post was going to mention that 9 sacks and other hits might have made Colt woozy enough that he wasn't in complete control. I think that is possible.

In any event, there was 1 second. I am completely okay with the outcome.

19. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

20. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

Interesting read...CLOSE...but No Cigar. Don't let it happen again...think mack and everyone involved learned something.

21. Bill_McNeal

Bill_McNeal 250+ Posts

That last play, to me, was like if you came to an intersection where you had a stoplight on yellow, so you gun it to make the light only to realize about halfway across that it's clearly gone red and you missed clipping the front of a F150 by about a foot, and no cops were around, and in retrospect, would it have been such a bad idea to stop at the yellow?

No, you weren't looking to break the law or get your car totalled when you came to that intersection, but still. And God knows that when you decided to speed up for that light, you weren't trying to get into a catastrophe. But you sure didn't play the percentages right.

Now, if you start telling people afterwards that you totally meant to do it that way, one would start questioning either your candor or your sanity.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Colt's thinking and perception at the time was pretty foggy. He'd been hit all night long and had gotten no help from his line, little help from his receivers, and pretty much zilch out of the OC.

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Here's what I'm focused on....

-- Texas had a monkey on their back all year, given the outcome of last season, plus Colt finishing second in the Heisman when it appeared it should have been his year for that. Nothing short of being schedule for Pasadena Jan. 7th was going to cut it.

-- Texas had to face a gauntlet most of the year and ended up playing two straight games that were on the order of facing Mel Gibson in the first Lethal Weapon movie: total crazy.

-- TAMU and Nebraska both played their entire season's worth of fire-breathing effort in those games -- and Texas had to get through both those after 11 games to get there,... and not lose when everything was on the line especially following last year.

So.... three straight prime time games....
    - Faced Todd Reesing's passing one night... (a damn good passer, to good route-runners who made solid catches)
    - then the A&M shoot-out five days later...
    - then everything including the farm, silo and kitchen sink from the whole state of Nebraska. A&M tested the defense, Nebraska tested the offense. In spades.

This team is tested. What can Alabama throw on the field that Texas has not already endured... Maybe more of the same, but how can it be that much more.

PLUS... the 5-year seniors have already been to this game, and the rest have been to a recent BCS bowl (Fiesta last year). Nick Saben is experienced at this level, but the whole Alabama squad and program has not been at this level of play in a long time.

And... besides... for recent times, isn't the Rose Bowl now pretty much a home field for Texas?!!! ... [​IMG]

23. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

24. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

25. HornInCanton

HornInCanton 250+ Posts

26. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

There have been a few ramblings on this thread. The original question was are our players shell-shocked? I would say a resounding NO! Those who play on the field as opposed to those of us who watch know how hard it is to win football games. I bet they are thrilled, excited, happy but not shell-shocked.

27. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

Shell shocked? Hardly.

Last year the Longhorns LOST a chance to go undefeated by 1 second. This year they WON and went undefeated by 1 second. That seems like a pretty good improvement to me.

I may be a member of the giant ***** of emotion fanbase but damn I'd rather be concerned about a little "clock management" and seeing the Longhorns play for the National Championship than what we all went through last year. Life is GOOD. And so are the Longhorns.

BTHO Bama!

28. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

29. Desert__Scar

Desert__Scar 100+ Posts

"Oh he knew within a couple of seconds. As good as he has been in the two minute drill and as much as they practice against the clock, he knew..."

My issue is they abandoned the hurry up after the Shipley catch and horse collar. They were moving the ball but decided to slow it down in play calling and go with 2 runs on the 1st two downs. The 2nd down play should have been a quick pass/throw it away if not there. 3rd down could have been the same (quick pass play) or a run to to the middle of the field.

The 1 second issue was one problem. We also shouldn't have needed that difficult a kick when we had plenty of time to get to the 15 yard line or inside the 10--a much higher % kick--and we gave up trying to do that with the slowed down play calling.

Coaches were 75% of the problem (not sure which of Mack or Davis has more responsibility--probably Mack), Colt 25%.

And no the players are not shell socked. They are competitive athletes, they win some, lose some, and barely/escape win some.
    Did Bama fold after they got lucky versus Tennessee? If anything those things can give you extra confidence if things are not going your way early in future games.

30. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

We screwed up and lived to tell about it. That simple.

What made that shocking to me is that over the last few years nobody has been a better last minute closing than Texas. Nobody.