are there any honest republicans?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by general35, Jan 16, 2008.

1. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

The Link

Can't the party catch a break? Although I don't understand why the author mentioned party affiliation since the majority of his constituents already knew what party he was from and he is a former party member. Seriously, I imagine there are many people in this country raising funds for terrorist groups yet little is done about it. Hopefully, we will not be regretful of our PC policies one day.

2. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

3. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

What would you say had the culprit been a Dem but the press had decided not to report it?

Whenever journalists refer to an office holder they give the party affiliation, it's automatic.

I have no idea what the last two sentences of your post mean. PC policies? Nobody doing anything about those raising money for terrorists? Huh?

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

the Justice Dept. only targets Republicans when investigating the financing of terrorist orgs?

No..the statement said that I am sure there are many out there raising funds for terrorist groups...I don't know how you got the justice dept. only targets republicans out of my statement. my first comment was a joke based upon all of controversy in the CVS pharmacy healthcare thread in which the author of the posted article left out the mayor's democratic party affiliation...

5. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

6. Kyrie Eleison

Kyrie Eleison 500+ Posts

"Hey, Joe and Linda are raising money for The Weathermen and the Canadian Freedom Front, so Sjilander isn't all that bad at all."

"Wanna go kill someone? C'mon....it's all the rage now. Kids everywhere are doing it."

Got to give it to you, general. You're an excuse machine for the GOP. You can find a way to excuse even the most heinous of all conduct, such as we have right here....raising and stealing govt. money for the very group responsible for 9/11 and who is in the business of killing Americans right now. Is that a story to be told? You bet your keister.

Ask yourself whether any of these other fundraisers involved money laundering and theft from a United States government agency.

"a former party member"....whatever. He sat for 2 terms...as a Republican. And it was a Republican president who appt. him to the UN. That makes him a Republican.

If he was a Democrat, the story would have said so. And I can only imagine the venom and vitriol you would spew had this in fact been a Democrat....bet you wouldn't be saying "well, he's a former party member. Besides, everyone's doing it and nothing happens to them. Why pick on the Dems?"

There are a slew of people arrested for this very same thing and have been for a while. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't make non-existent. A lot of these are filed under a sealed indictment in order to continue the investigation and get higher up the food chain. And a few of them are very public affairs Specifically, I remember the story about the lawyer in Oregon who was arrested (and later released), and a story of a professor at Univ. of South Florida who was raked over the coals for raising money for Hamas, though it turned out that a jury walked him.

Your guy will get that same chance.

But what I'm interested in is the level of govt. fraud...that's going to go deep, and you don't get to agency money unless there's someone on the inside helping.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Got to give it to you, general. You're an excuse machine for the GOP.

I think you missed the entire point of the thread. I'm not excusing him at all or the GOP. For all I care, they can take the guy out and shoot him today.

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

If he was a Democrat, the story would have said so. And I can only imagine the venom and vitriol you would spew had this in fact been a Democrat....bet you wouldn't be saying "well, he's a former party member. Besides, everyone's doing it and nothing happens to them. Why pick on the Dems?"

You need to relax dude. See post 4.

9. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

10. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

11. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

[softlynow]You don't think the average reader of the local Boston paper knows what party their four-term mayor is a member of?

Do they mention Bloomberg's affiliation in every last story about him in the Times? How about Will Winn's in the Statesman?

Keep your eye on the ball.[/softlynow]

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Does the ballot in Boston show party affiliation? Not all city elections require party designation. I don't think the ballot in Austin shows party for local elections, or at least it didn't used to.

13. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

I hope you posted that to show how right I am.

1. This is a wire piece - as in not targeted at local audiece.
    2. The pol at issue in the other thread is a four-term mayor, well-known in his community (again the target of the article) this is a former congressperson and known to maybe .5% of the target audience of this article.

You still haven't come back with any evidence to back up your point.

I'll go ahead and provide you a little for mine:
    Republican Mayor of Jacksonville is unliked and the people are trying to recall him - yet no mention of his party in this article

Democratic Mayor of Austin being praised, heck given award. Where's the mention of his party affiliation?

I find it surprising that you'd post that without a mea culpa. Well, actually I don't.

14. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

both the michigan and boston stories were local stories with a national hook - terrorism and healthcare. both stories shared the apparently ironic situations of two guys acting against their parties' interests. the party affiliation of both guys is known by the writers and editors. but in only one of them is the party of the doofus mentioned in the first sentence of the story...or at all.

go figure.

pressmen are professionals. they don't let their biases interfere with their work. and you doofusses are so okay with it, you don't have to cross your fingers behind your backs any more as you explain it all away.

hook'em

15. softlynow

softlynow 1,000+ Posts

16. Texas_Curl

Texas_Curl 100+ Posts

some news is national from the git go, but most news is local. the ap chooses which local stories to pick up.

17. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I find it BEYOND hilarious that General35 is so locked into his "the GOP is always under attack by the media" mantra. As for the question as to whether their are "honest Republicans?" Sure there are.

The media is the same as it has ALWAYS been, in that they look hard at those in power. taking General35's position of a partisan attacking media would have been just as silly for the Dems to have proclaimed when they were the party of power. Without the power it's hard to end up being corrupted by it. Of course I know for some it does provide a nice defense/rationalization mechanism, that can provide me a chuckle now and again. But the black heliocopter liberal media conspiracy is just tripe, and it's intersting that some folks belive it to me.

18. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

This thread is funny. I don't think anyone here is really disagreeing, but you are still arguing.

19. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts