Are they still building that Wal Mart at northcros

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Ramathorn, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I'm thinking about buying a condo around there. That area is perfect for me. Short commute to work, but right in the middle of everything.

Mixed emotions about the Wal Mart though. I like to support local businesses, but I have to watch my pocket book.

2. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Once again, if it raises property values, why would anyone *****?

Of course the question might be if it really does raise property values.

3. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

4. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

Great analogy. A XXX Video Store and Wal Mart are the same thing.

There are two landfills near my house pushing for major expansion near my house and we can't beg for coverage. But, put the world's most popular retailer in mighty whitey's neighborhood and it's front page news for six months straight.

5. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I don't know how busy it will be. The people south and west of allandale are reasonably similar. The people in the lamar 183 area likely already have their own wal mart to go to (the one on 35 which, when I went was pretty dead).

6. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

7. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Are they really beggars though or were they just not proactive.

9. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

10. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

11. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

i don't need to re-read it. the original answer is still on point. but to expand on it, a succesful center with stores like the ones across the street such as zinger's, houston's, conan's, the bead store, etc. would not draw thousands of low income shoppers from outlying areas, or multiple 18 wheelers at 2 am

12. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

13. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

What area DOESN'T get more congested between 4-6 everyday?

14. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

15. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

A successful mall would draw thousands of shoppers; that's what malls do. What difference does it make on the traffic situation what their income level is?

A successful mall would be serviced by 18-wheelers; that's how goods get to stores. Again, what difference does it make on the traffic situation the name of the business these trucks are servicing?

16. unpaintedhuffhines

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I've drive down Anderson lane from Mopac and turn south onto Burnet between 6 and 6:30 every Wednesday. There's never any congestion there.

18. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

19. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Man, one of the condos I'm looking at is right next to the back of northcross (btw, what an awful looking mall). 18 wheelers at 2 am is not my idea of a restful night.

20. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

21. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Alot of wal marts are 24/7.

22. AustinVines

AustinVines 25+ Posts

Seem like great neighbors to me
    The Link

23. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

1) Northcross Mall isn't really much of a mall in today's terms. It is a large plot of land that had a handful to stores connected by a large hall. Lets not pretend it draws a lot of traffic today.

2) The residents in that area should have been more pro-active, but let's be real. How many of us are actively checking on the zoning status of properties around us? To some degree, you hope your tax dollars and representatives in the city government are looking out for your best interests.

3) Not only does WalMart want to build a store... but they want to build the largest store under one roof in Austin city limits. Bigger than any Lowes or any Home Depot. That is a damn big store.

4) Further, they want to make that store 24/7 even though this was in a heavy residential area.

5) It will create heavy 18 wheeler traffic on Mopac in the city. How many of y'all are looking forward to that?

If I lived in that area, I would be completely pissed off. We're not talking about the suburbs. We're talking about North Central Austin. What if Walmart decided to build a huge store in SoCo?

What Wal-Mart is doing is legal. It is however unethical.

24. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Well, land in SOCO may be too much for Walmart. 18 wheelers on Mopac is an awful, awful thought.

25. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Are 18-wheelers ALLOWED on MoPac? I suppose I've seen the random moving truck, but other than that, I don't recall much else. I thought I heard years ago that large trucks were disallowed on MoPac. Maybe that was just billboards . . .

26. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

YOu would think they are, I don't know how you would stop them necessarily? I just think most of the 18 wheelers just take 35.

27. big_fat_horn

big_fat_horn 100+ Posts

If it was going to be a Macys, or even a Super Target, the neighborhood wouldnt be going apeshit like they are. It's because it's a WALMART. It's all about class distinctions.

28. unpaintedhuffhines

29. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

30. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts