Are We That Good?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by M C Orange, Dec 24, 2007.

1. M C Orange

M C Orange 100+ Posts

I think so...... Im just steaming b/c of some other schools opinion of our team....talking about a weak bench, and how if one starter gets hurt, we're done.....talking about how d.j. gets the durant treatment from last year, which consists of "if you touch him, its a foul." i think our team can make a run........just tired of co-workers talking about how aggy has a good team...... and will spank texas..... its weak.....i was looking at their schedule so far........very weak...... so this brings me to my point....... how far can we go this year? [​IMG]

2. CavalierHorn

CavalierHorn 25+ Posts

...pretty far...

3. TJ=NPOY

TJ=NPOY 100+ Posts

Yes, they are very good. Gary Johnson will really help on the boards/inside scoring, and guard play wins in march. This team has it in spades.

4. RyanUTAustin

RyanUTAustin 1,000+ Posts

I had a dream that Damion James tore his ACL last night...just woke up in a cold sweat...we are good.

5. Iguana

Iguana 25+ Posts

Yes. Check this site out next Sunday for confirmation.

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Yes, we are good. We have multiple wins against top 25 teams and our only loss is to a top 10 team.

Texas can be an Elite 8 team this season if they continue to play the way they've played so far.

7. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Guard play for UT is very good but their lack of decent bench players will hurt them. Not sure they can win the Big 12?

8. VinceFord

VinceFord 100+ Posts

We have greatly exceeded my expectations, but I am not sure if we are as good as our ranking yet. We have a couple great wins, but in the last two games we have not looked like a top ten team. I think the game film from the Oral Roberts game really helped Michigan State with their game plan. And I think the game film from the last two games will help teams in the future. Our offense has been really stagnant and we have relied too much on Augustine and Abrams.

Iam sure Barnes is addressing our short falls, and if we aren't as good as our ranking thus far, which I am not sure of, we will be a top ten team by March. I hope, as someone else suggested, that when Gary is cleared to play, we have Mason come off the bench. We must be able to rest Augustine and AJ. Also, we need to start getting the ball into the post. If we did, we would at least be able to go inside out to get open shots, and get Atcheley more interior shots.

Barnes did say we would have to rely heavily on our guards at the begging of the season. I think we will have a better idea of how good we are after the Wisconsin game.

9. oh_herro

oh_herro < 25 Posts

Don't pay attention to what aggy says. They have no logic. If we lose to those teams, we suck. If we win, they had a bad game and we are overrated. They know as much basketball as my dog.

10. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

When Gary Johnson is cleared it greatly improves our depth and here is why. We can either start him at the 4 (which would be the best for our depth) or he can come in of the bench. If he starts then we move Damion James to the 3 which puts Mason as our # 1 off of the bench. We need guard depth. I expect that D.J. is gonna play almost 40 minutes every game whether there is depth or not but if Mason comes off the bench than he and Abrams can cut down there minutes a lot. Or if he comes off the bench then we can do similar things as well. The 2 guys that are gonna stay on the court a lot I think are D.J. and Damion. We need D.J.'s leadership and ball control and scoring and we need Damion's rebounding and scoring. Those two are gonna play a lot of minutes no matter what.

And for those people that say we are screwed if D.J. gets hurt than ask them how many teams can lose a Naismith award candidate and be perfectly fine.

11. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

12. shakahorn

shakahorn 25+ Posts

You can run all the stats and make all the individual comparisons, but we know pretty damn well what a final four team looks like, having just seen one up close and personal a few years ago. I'd say we're not as good as the 2003 squad just yet, but we're pretty darn close and could be just as good if not better by March.

13. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

14. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Considering our best incoming freshman has a heart defect... and our only true back up for DJ is out all season with knee injuries... and Matt Hill is out with a foot problem....etc.... etc... etc.... You can tell your Aggie friends that UT has already experienced more health issues than most teams experience all season.... and the only thing Texas has done is beat two top 10 teams and had a close loss to a third top ten team.... so tell your Aggie friends to shove it..... and wish them happy holidays....

15. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

I love aggy talking about what a real basketball team should look like.

It is like them talking about what to wear to the White House to receive commendations from the President for winning a national championship, or what to say at a Heisman ceremony, or the protocol for accepting a second place trophy at Omaha, or what the criteria should be to be awarded an at large bid into a BCS Bowl.

HOW THE f**k WOULD THEY KNOW?

16. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

17. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

18. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Top 7 look great would be nice to have a couple more capable guys off the bench though and we look totally lost when DJ is out. That doesnt give a warm fuzzy feeling come tournament time.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

20. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Looks like UT is struggling at the present time? I see UT as a Top 15 to 20 team by the end of the year with a chance to be better if they stay healthy

21. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

It really sucks that Balbay got hurt. He would probably give DJ about ten minutes of rest and/or foul trouble relief per game.

I agree with warrior's assessment. IMO we are right around where we should be in the polls with a chance to get much better by March.

22. MNLonghorn10

MNLonghorn10 < 25 Posts

Thank god for Gary Johnson.

Much needed beef and a true low post presence.