Are you an alumnus if you didn't graduate?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by HornsInTheHouse, Jul 28, 2008.

1. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

Students aren't considered alumni because they haven't completed their education. Do you consider someone who leaves UT or any university without getting their degree an alum? I think part of being an alum is the common success of jumping through all the hoops, taking the required classes, and getting a degree.

2. 4th&5

4th&5 1,000+ Posts

Merriam-Webster definition: 1 : a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

3. IsThatATitleist?

IsThatATitleist? 250+ Posts

4. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

American Heritage Dictionary: "a male [or female] graduate or former student of a school, college, or university."

Wikipedia: "The Ex-Students' Association of The University of Texas (more commonly known as Texas Exes) is the association of former students of The University of Texas at Austin."

5. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Do you think UT is going to tell Michael Dell that he is not an alum?

"Thanks for those millions you donated, but you're still a poser."

6. TexasStarHorn

TexasStarHorn 25+ Posts

This is what aggy calls their "loophole." They don't have alumni, they have Former Students. I had a professor that did undergrad at A&M and she said all you have to do was go to one class on one day and you can get your "former student" sticker. Lame.

7. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

If alum = graduate then Longhorn fan = Foundation member [​IMG]

9. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

Texas Star Horn> I'm pretty sure that the Texas Exes have the same qualifications. After my first freshman year, I got an invitation to join the ex-students association before I got my final grade report. I considered it a bad sign.

10. tex-horn

tex-horn 100+ Posts

11. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

12. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

That statement doesn't mean much. I'm sure that they're not going to have something online that says "once you've received your diploma or flunked out three times and finally gave up and went to SWT."

It's an interesting question. I think I'll call them Monday.

13. blueag09

blueag09 250+ Posts

This probably just serves to encourage people to get their diploma if they want to be a part of the Texas Exes. I don't think the diploma is a requirement to join though.

14. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

You don't have to have attended UT to be a member of Texas-Exes, either as a yearly member or a life member.

15. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

16. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

If someone told me they were an alumni of UT but never graduated; I wouldn't put them in the same category as someone who graduated from UT.

But then again, I don't think I've ever used the word alumni when describing myself. I say I'm a graduate of UT. I don't mean it as a put-down to someone who didn't graduate but its just what I say.

17. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

The Texas - Exes need to change their name if they continue to accept people who are not "Exes."

Let's not be aggie.

18. LonghorninAustin

LonghorninAustin 1,000+ Posts

Texas-Exes is the opposite of aggy by accepting people who never attended. Aggy drones on and on about how one is not an aggie unless he graduated from a&m. Texas is much more accepting than that.
    Professors at Texas, people who have attended other colleges and move to Austin and then feel a closeness to UT, people who marry Texas' grads, are examples of people who want to contribute by giving to the Ex-Students Association.

If you graduated then after your name on the roster it has your graduation date and the initials for your degree, e. g. John Smith, BS '04, MS '06, PhD '08 and if you didn't then it just says, Friend
    . I'm not sure what it says if you attended but did not complete a degree.

19. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

I bet the alumni assoociation would consider them alumni even if they haven't graduated if they send them money. [​IMG]

20. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    alumnus = male who graduated or attended
    an institution
    alumnae = female ..........as above
    alumni = plural of above(never an individual)

[​IMG]

21. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

All my exes live in Texas.

22. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Mrs. Horn69, because she is loyal to her husband and children - all of whom are graduates of The University and she herself is actually a graduate of BlowU, is a dues-paying member of the Texas Exes.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

23. BevoDan

BevoDan 100+ Posts

I was not fortunate enough to attend Texas- Austin, but I did graduate from Texas-Dallas. At that time UTD had no alumni association, so being a Longhorn fan since the early 60's I became a Life Member of The Texas Exes. There are times that I feel funny saying I'm a Texas EX, but should I? [​IMG]

24. TornACL

TornACL 250+ Posts

My dad graduated from LSU and never stepped foot on the UT campus except to attend football games from time to time.

When I enrolled at UT, he decided to contribute to the University, and he did so....by becoming a paying member of the Texas Exes.

All you have to be able to do is sign your name to a check, and you're a member.

25. I'm Batman

I'm Batman < 25 Posts

UT has long been blessed by the resources and fervent support of the proud people of Texas and should be considered an institution that belongs to each one of them.