Argentina Honeymoon

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Naldadoo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Naldadoo

Naldadoo 25+ Posts

Going to Argentina in mid March for 8 or 9 days. We are defiantly going to spend some quality time in BA but am torn between a side trip to Carmelo, Mendoza or Bariloche.

For you frequent travelers down there (TX Hookem, RunTex, etc.) if you had 3 days for a side trip on your honeymoon which would you choose. It would be Fall there so skiing is out. The future Mrs. Naldadoo is game for anything but is a little skittish about small plane rides.

BTW, I have read yalls previous posts over the years regarding Agrentina - thanks - great info.

2. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Bariloche is beautiful - I would go there. We stayed at the Design Suites with a room (and jacuzzi) overlooking the lake. The service there was wonderful.

Here's TripAdvisor's reviews:
    The Link

View from the room (note the hot tub):
    [​IMG]

Facing the room:
    [​IMG]

Main dining room at the hotel:
    [​IMG]

Despite a lack of skiing, you can take lake cruises, hike, etc. etc. Plenty to do.

As for a hotel in BA, I can't recommend this place enough:The Link

Get the Argentinian, Pop or Minimalist room. Book with plenty of time...

3. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

Bueno,

As Hookem knows and previously stated, I am a Four Seasons snob- the Mansion attached is wonderful for honeymoons. I ventured recently and stayed at the new Home hotel- pretty cool but minimalistic in nature. I think the Faena is the best hipster hotel around by far. The other boutiques are like best westerns comparing them selves to a W.
    I had a better meal at La Cabana than i did Cabanas las lilas last time.
    Bar 6 is still hopping, Bar Uriche has some of the best fish on the menu.
    Casa Lopez and Casa Taibo for leather- can be found in Recoletta areas and the main Galleria.

Bariloche is a beautiful place and its Patagonia. Nice Pics Hookem, our room didnt look that nice and our view faced town. The Llao LLao is a world class place and if you are spending some money than you cant beat this place.

Mendoza is nice with the mountains in the background but if you are looking for something totally different, this is similar to the California wine country.

Carmelo- hopefully you are referring to the Four Seasons there..We'll my wife is just in love with that place.
    She is due in early January and is already planning how to get down there this spring when I go back in May.
    The golf course is good, not fantasitc but friendly. The town is pretty cool, very different than BA.

Thats a start..

4. Naldadoo

Naldadoo 25+ Posts

great. thanks for the responses.

i am leaning toward bariloche b/c patagonia is what i think of when i think argentina. and it looks so badass that it almost looks fake. i have a buddy whose family owns a vinyard in mendoza so that was my reasoning for going there. and, i was referring to the four seasons in carmelo. it looks great but i might have to save that for a return trip in the future along with mendoza.

any thoughts on this place? it is about 10 miles outside
    bariloche.

arelauquen lodge

5. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I'll echo Bar 6... great place with a cool atmosphere. There are plenty of great places in Palermo Viejo... El Diamante, Meridian 58, Uriarte, etc. I've heard there are plenty of great places near Las Canitas. Also, if you want to eat at Bice but don't want to pay "normal" Bice prices, the one in Puero Madero is nice.

6. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Not familiar with that place...

Here are some other shots of the area including the Llao Llao. Weather was crappy in Bariloche when we were there but it was pretty much wintertime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You will love Argentina - shoot... you could buy a 3 BR chalet in Bariloche for under $200K... where can you do that in the U.S. at a major resort town?

7. Naldadoo

Naldadoo 25+ Posts

txhookem - that is what i am looking for . . . those pics are amazing.

8. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

those pics are great Hookem.
    I think I am retarded because I can not upload pics into this forum body for the life of me. Yes, I went through the FAQ's.

You can not go wrong with Bariloche.
    The other possible idea which is really unique is to take a cruise on the MV Australis around Tierra del Fuego.
    go to australis.com
    its a really unique experience.

9. 319waggle

319waggle < 25 Posts

If you are interested in Patagonia, you cant go wrong with Ushaia either. Only a 3.5 hour flight from BA on Aerolineas Argentina. I loved it down there. Sleepy little village right on the southern coast. I will try and post pics when I return home from my hitch. Google it...I know you'll be happy.

10. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Ushuaia was our 2nd choice over Bariloche but it was going to be too cold in May to visit.

11. Naldadoo

Naldadoo 25+ Posts

ok. yall are now making this more difficult not less.

12. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Think about it this way... Ushuaia will be colder than Bariloche. So, maybe you should save it for a later trip to Argentina. Once you visit, you'll go back, for sure...

13. 319waggle

319waggle < 25 Posts

You are right, it gets cold as hell in Ushuaia in the winter...it was brutal working on the rig during the winter months down there, especially coupled with the fact that the sun didnt even come up to help warm you some. Summers down there were great, though. Temps in the 50's made the rig a nice place to be. Also, the fly fishing was legendary.

If you ever get the chance, take a drive from Ushuaia across into Chile. The scenery is spectacular. Also, the drive north from Usuaia to either RIo Grande or Rio Gallegos is amazing as well.

14. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

The weather will be nice in March for the Tierra and Calafate areas. Los Glaciares national park is really spectacular.
    There are some nice lodges down there too including the old president of Patagonia clothing- she has a fantastic modern hotel overlooking the glacier called Posada Alamos.

Bariloche will also be good weather during that time.

15. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

We did a Bariloche trip a few years back. We actually stayed in Villa Langostura -- a smaller town, BEAUTIFUL, right on the lake and in a more private and secluded area. Stayed in a small inn, overlooking the lake and the Andes. In the morning, we'd go to the lobby fireplace, and have our coffee and pastries brought to us by the incredibly friendly and warm staff.

A couple of afternoons, my dad and I took off with a fishing guide, cruising the incredible countryside, fishing rivers where we saw no sign of humans, and catching 40+ trout a day, each. My wife and mother did a tour of the 7 lakes with a private driver. Dinner at little restaurants with great Argentine beef and wine, and usually a fireplace.

It is the most kick-*** place I have ever been.

16. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Any updates?

17. Naldadoo

Naldadoo 25+ Posts

heading there in 8 weeks. we will be there for 9 days. first half in bariloche and staying at the villa hunid. i have a private cabin there that is right on the bank of the lake. then we return to BA for the second half of the trip. staying at home buenos aires in palermo. they have a really nice garden suite there. not really sure of anything else other than that. i know we are going to want to take it real easy after this wedding is over. might fish in bariloche.

18. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

You are going to love it and get addicted like everyone else. Welcome to the addicts' club.

19. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

By the way, I just posted something on my travel blog on a local who provides tours in BA...The Link She might be worth checking out. My post will also point you to a brand new article in Conde' Nast Traveler on BA.

20. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

I'm from Argentina. If you have any specific questions, I can try to help you.

There are several interesting places to visit:

-Bariloche/San Martin de los Andes/Esquel/etc.
    -Iguazú (Northeast tip)
    -Salta/Jujuy (Northwest)
    -Península Valdez (East Patagonia)
    -Mendoza (West, wine contry)
    -Ushuaia/Glaciar Perito Moreno (way South)
    -Buenos Aires

21. PROVE EM' WRONG

PROVE EM' WRONG 25+ Posts

No one has mentioned Iguazu which is the most incredible site I've ever seen. I studied in Argentina for a while and traveled all over. I hear it has dried up some but if not you have to see it. It's one of the most spectacular sites in the world.

22. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

Here are some pics from Home in BA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Faena Hotel
    [​IMG]

Bar Uriarte
    [​IMG]

Some new Art works in BA- the new Cows
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Juan Ignacio- just outside Punta Del Este
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Home and Faena have been getting a lot of press lately so both are good options.

Always heard good things about Bar Uriarte plus, Palermo Viejo is definitely the area to visit. Just imagine... a delicious venison dish for $9. I miss AR. [​IMG]

RunTex can back up Bar 6 as a great restaurant, too:

24. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

Absolutely on Bar 6- remember to knock on the door, it will be locked-most restaurants do this.
    I also really like the two-three restaurants in the La Recova area, just under Nuevo De Julio. There is an excellent wine bar/cafe there too that the locals just love.
    Obregon is also excellent!
    High Tea at the Four Seasons is also great.
    The new Hyatt looks really nice, we stopped in there for drinks last Dec.

We lucked out and someone cancelled at Las Lenas so that is the next big vacation we will get to take since the lil one came a week back. I have been wanting to Ski Las Lenas for years but it is always booked way in advance. I didnt know the resort is capped at 2,000 people. Makes for empty runs.
    Any experience there Hookem? I thought the skiing on Calafate in Bariloche sucked personally, but the town does not.

25. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Never skied in S. America but would love to do it. I had heard of Las Lenas years before I'd heard of Bariloche... I believe the U.S. Ski Team used to (or still does) train there. From what I remember, the resort is completely above tree line. I must say that you suck for going there. I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me buy a place in BA.

26. The Brown Hornet

The Brown Hornet < 25 Posts

What if one does not speak fluent Spanish, is it still an enjoyable trip? Just curious. Thanks.

27. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

I would assume so - I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish so I didn't have to test it too much but we did find a lot of people who spoke English. Plus, the people are so nice.

28. RunTex

RunTex 25+ Posts

You will be just fine until you get into the Taxis.
    Just learn some general phrases so you can give direction on where you want to go. Most nice hotels you can tell the bellman where you are going and he will communicate that to the driver as will the restaurants on your return.
    Just dont be that "Ugly American" barking out how you want your steak cooked and you will be fine in Argentina.

29. Franco

Franco 250+ Posts

A few pointers about eating out in Argentina:

-Everything will seem ridiculously inexpensive, unless you end up at some kind of tourist trap. Just as a point of reference, if you look at the wine section on the menu, you should find lots of wines for under $30 (pesos, not dollars). If not, you are at the wrong place.

-Waiters won't bother you with needless talk. They won't tell you that their name is James and they'll be taking care of you tonight. If you want them, you will have to call them with a hand signal or such. Also, they won't write down your order. Don't freak out when this happens.

-People don't leave 15% tip there. 5%-10% is good.

-Food comes out when it comes out. They won't schedule it so that everybody's dish comes out at the same time. This means that your wife's baked chicken will come out 20 minutes after your milanesa.

-Don't ask for tap water. It ain't customary there. If you order water, they will take it to mean "mineral water".

-People go out to dinner LATE. If you show up at a restaurant at 8 PM, there won't be anybody there YET. At 10 there will be a bigger crowd.

-If you wonder how people get up the next morning to go to work after staying up so late, don't bother. It's a mystery that nobody can solve.

30. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Good point - we routinely sat down for dinner around 9:30 or 10:00. We even had one meal starting at 1:00 AM (!) at Bice.