Arky doesn't want to play us in 2009

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by tj11_hookem, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Felixthecat

Felixthecat < 25 Posts

When has texas embarassed Arkansas?

2. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Felix, we can't embarrass the Razorbacks. You guys wear plastic hog hats and yell "Whoo, Pig Sooey". You are beyond embarrassment. You make the Ags look sane and rational.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

4. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

scuttlebutt here has this opening the door wide open for a trip down to the Superdome for you guys to take on Bama.

you'd see me in my texas shirt with my bama hat drinking three beers at one time. [​IMG]

5. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Possible replacements? Anybody in the SEC who is at least one state over from Arky and Louisiana. Anybody in the upper half of the Pac 10 with an opening in '09? What's tOSU doing that weekend? While we're at it, anybody better than Northwestern in the Big 10 with an opening in '09? We might want to take a look at the ACC. Two that I would love to see us work something out with...Fat Phil and Tennessee, or Joe Pa and Penn State. All of that being said, we'll wind up playing somebody out of the WAC or C-USA, if Dodds even wants to schedule that tough...

6. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

7. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

The AAS article mentions a 5 million clam guarantee for each team for the "series". How many games is their series? And how much do we and BLoWu get annually for the RRS?

8. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

The biggest problem is finding someone decent with an opening. I seriously doubt that any big time D1 team will have a place on their schedule for us. This will leave us with the kind of opponent we all hate.

9. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Guest

10. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

Puddle

Are you saying those teams need someone to play on those dates or that they just do not have a game scheduled for that date ? Big difference.

11. TaylorTRoom

TaylorTRoom 1,000+ Posts

Can we play a return game at TCU? Not at Amon Carter, but at a stadium big enough for our fans- Jerry's new stadium, or the Cotton Bowl?

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

13. trkhorn

trkhorn 25+ Posts

Several?

14. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Dodds is probably looking into which directional school wants a big payday right now... [​IMG]

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Duke and Minnesota for sure.

16. drewbleedsorange

drewbleedsorange 100+ Posts

17. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Texas and 'Bama in N'Awlins would be friggin' awesome...make it so, Deloss...

18. Les Claypool

Les Claypool 25+ Posts

19. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

While it sucks that Arky bailed on us, there might be a chance to turn this lemon into lemonade. Keep in mind that the date in question, September 12, 2009, would be Texas’ season opener. The 2009 season is one where things line up nicely for an MNC run. Both from a personnel and schedule perspective, that will probably be a very exciting year to be a Longhorn football fan. But, like in 2005, a big out-of-conference win would really catapult Texas to the driver’s seat to get to that title game.

Based on a brief web search of future schedules, here is a list of teams that appear to have an open date (or at least no one officially booked that I could find) for the date in question and would be an exciting match up, from both a local and national perspective:

Georgia Tech
    Virginia
    Rutgers (I know its Rutgers, but this would put Texas in the middle of the NYC media market which never hurts; think: start of the Colt Heisman campaign?)
    Michigan State
    Arizona

I did eliminate teams that are already playing another Big 12 team OCC (I doubt they would want two) or teams that are already playing a “big” OCC team in 2009 (assuming they wouldn’t want two in the same year, excluding other regular to semi-regular rivalries, e.g Georgia/Georgia Tech, etc). Although I didn’t dig very deeply on finding out if in fact all of these teams really do have open dates, I think Texas is a big enough draw to swoop in at the “relative” last minuet and ask if a team would like to schedule a game, even if there were talks with another warm up school aka North Texas/ULala/etc.

Of these, I think Rutgers or Georgia Tech look the most appealing.

FYI, Minnesota (as mentioned by a previous poster) plays Air Force on 9/12/09, so that school is out.

20. Kadabra

Kadabra 100+ Posts

This is a potential "Run for the MNC" year. So we need a Marque match-up. However you have to find the right balance. I think a return trip to play TCU would be excellent, even if it was at Amon Carter. (Jerryworld would be better obviously). I think it's between this and a team like Kentucky or Minnesota. NO to N.C. State. We all remember what happened the LAST time we played that school. I think the 3 punt returns for touchdowns is still a record....

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I would love to play Notre Dame but they would be a serious blow to our schedule. About the same as playing LA Tech.

22. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

One would think a sudden opening to play Texas would create a scramble for teams hankering to get in on the glory of suiting up against the Storm Troopers (assuming it remains an away game).

If it turns into a home game, then there should be an equal clamor to get to Austin for a big weekend in September and enjoy the finest city in the land and the most spectacular venue for an afternoon of football. To include Bevo Blvd and Schultz's.

23. Pancho Negro

Pancho Negro 250+ Posts

All I know is South Florida has an open date on 9/12.

That's so Raven.

24. WhoooTex

WhoooTex 100+ Posts