Arsenal-Chelsea-Man.United-Liverpool

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 89Horn, Dec 14, 2007.

1. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Sunday is nearing. These four clubs are within 7 points of each other at the top, with Liverpool having a game in hand 7 points behind Arsenal. After Sunday, there are number of different possibities of who sits top of the table. With a Chelsea win at the Emirates and a Man. United draw at Anfield, there could be a three way tie at the top (not counting goal differentials). Man. United could move top of the table with a win and a Chelsea-Arsenal draw, or Chelsea win which puts Arsenal and Chelsea in a tie for second. Obviously, Arsenal stays top of the table with a win, regardless of the Man. United-Liverpool result. Hell, Liverpool could drop to 6th with a loss and wins by Portsmouth and Man. City. I know there's still a whole second half of a season to play, BUT a continuing close race to the finish like what we have now would be fun.

1 Arsenal 16 (played) 37 (points) 19 (goal diff)
    2 Manchester United 16 36 21
    3 Chelsea 16 34 15
    4 Liverpool 15 30 18

5.Portsmouth 16 30 14
    6 Manchester City 16 30 3

13. Tottenham 16 15 -1[​IMG] sorry
    (Spurs do play at Portsmouth on Saturday. So Spurs do have some bearing on the 4th place spot)

Sunday:

Man. United at Liverpool, 7:25 am, Setanta
    Chelsea at Arsenal, 10:00 am, Fox Soccer Channel

Fado will be packed Sunday morning!

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Drogba being out for a little while will hurt Chelsea.

3. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Liverpool 1 Scum 0
    Arse 3 CSKA London 1

4. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Drogba, Ballack, and Essien (suspension) all out for Chelski.

Cesc should return for l'Arse. Van P's back, as are Flamini and Hleb.

I think Arsenal turns their form around and wins this one. I'm hoping for a draw.

Liverpool get an injury boost as Xabi will be back. However, it's been 2 months and I'm sure he's rusty as hell. Masch will be fit after picking up a bit of a knock mid-week. Agger, however, will be out.

Manchester will only be missing Scholes, I believe. Hargreaves past a late fitness test and will be ready to go.

I've got a good feeling about Liverpool getting three points from this one. Not sure why, maybe b/c we're due, but I think we win an entertaining 2-1 match.

It'll probably be a horribly boring 0-0 draw though. [​IMG]

5. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

Oh yee of little faith. Lampard doesn't agree with you about the dearth of scoring without Drogba:

6. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

7. idelosix

idelosix < 25 Posts

Gooooo Gunner's!!

8. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

I'm going to try and drag my *** out of bed for the Reds game. Go Liverpool.!

9. HogsSuck

HogsSuck 25+ Posts

United's last five trips to Anfield: 4 wins, one draw. Tevez gets a brace, 3-1 United.

10. idelosix

idelosix < 25 Posts

Anyone know somewhere in Austin that will have the Gunner's on?

11. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

You can watch the game at Fado. Be warned, since Man. United play at 7:30 and Celtic play 8 am the place will be packed, get there early if you go. Arsenal and Chelsea fans will be there early for the Manc game. There were few spots just to stand much less sit when they showed the Man. United v. Arsenal game earlier this year. With the big 4 playing against each other, I expect the same tomorrow.

Oh, Fado will also show the Real Madrid game live at 2pm.

Edit: If that isn't enough for y'all, get up extra early to watch AC Milan v. Boca Juniors at 4am (Fox Soccer Channel) in the FIFA Club World Cup FINAL. The repeat is at 6pm on FSC.

12. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

just saw that FSC will be carrying a Serie A match instead of the United - liverpool game [​IMG]

13. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

14. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

I'm not mad at Serie A, i love Totti, i'm just upset FSC can't show both matches.

Even more upset now that cable has NO WAY of showing both

15. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Why? they are selling the **** outta a "Super Sunday" Don't think they give a damn about availability in the US

16. 89Horn

89Horn 25+ Posts

spoiler-update

Update after this weekend:

1 Arsenal 17 (played) 40 (points) 20 (goal diff)
    2 Manchester United 17 39 22
    3 Chelsea 17 34 14
    4 Manchester City 17 33 5
    5 Liverpool 16 30 17
    6 Portsmouth 17 30 13

17. Carlitos_Tevez

Carlitos_Tevez < 25 Posts

It was like watching Chelsea reserves out there. No Drogba, Terry, Essien, Malouda or Carvalho.

Chelsea could be in big trouble if Terry is out for a while. Ben Haim/Alex isn't an elite CB tandem.

Looks more and more like an Arsenal/United title race.

18. naked_bongo

naked_bongo 500+ Posts

Nice win for the Gunners. Glad to see the good guys still at the top of the table.

19. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I ******* hate Manchester. Another game where Liverpool were the better team yet come away empty-handed.

How many shots did ManU have? 2?

So ******* annoying.

20. Carlitos_Tevez

Bunch of meaningless possession and speculative long range efforts that never troubled VDS. Outside of the Babel effort in the second half (which came from a shocking clearance from Brown), Liverpool's best chances were created by Van de Sar.

Torres is a very creative forward, but he had zero service. Outside of him, Liverpool lacks elite creative players IMO. Liverpool are strong down the spine but their flanks, from FB forward, are just average and miles behind their competition.

They have a fairly manageable schedule over the next month or so but I would be surprised if they didn't continue to drop points. They struggled mightily to get out of a weak CL group and have only won 5 of their last 12 PL matches.

21. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

The Spanish Channel game wrap-up that I just watched said that "Sech" made a mistake. (That's how they pronounced "Cech" for Chelsea.)

Love that Latin Pronounciation!!!

[​IMG]

22. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

23. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

24. Carlitos_Tevez

I think you misinterpret what United was trying to do in this fixture. A draw was an acceptable result.

Liverpool has yet to score at Anfield against United in the PL during the Rafalution. 0 goals in 4 matches, which matches a 97 year old Liverpool record in futilty.

Until Liverpool prove that can break down United, Sir will continue to employ this strategy at Liverpool. Absorb toothless attacks, take advantage of poorly executed zonal marking scheme on set pieces, and counter with speed late.

Liverpool were better in this fixture last year. The addition of Hargreaves really shut down the Liverpool attacks. How many long distance shots did Liverpool players take with their weaker foot? That was a masterclass in defending.

25. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

26. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

"f**k all . . . You're going to win f**k all . . . f**k all. You're going to win f**k all . . . 18 years . . . 18 years . . . 18 years."

Fergie certainly owns the ol' Spanish waiter doesn't he.

What do you make of the money squeeze at Liverpool. Stadium plans are being scaled down and all the scallies on 606 and WSD are claiming that no money will be made available to Rafa in the January window.

Sorry DH, but Liverpool is done and dusted in the title race. United only have to one more away fixture against the Top 8 (Chelsea). Another Arsenal-United title race. I do think Liverpool has a very good chance at the 4th CL spot though.

27. TexonLongIsland

You don't actually read 606, do you? [​IMG]

28. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

Listen. It is a hilarious podcast on BBC Radio Five with call-ins from the locals. You would like it.

29. TexonLongIsland

I know it well. Just a bunch of idiots spouting off crap. Mancs say they're Chelsea fans and Newcastle fans say they're Sunderland fans. Gets boring real fast.

Sorry if you already know about these, but these are the best podcasts. (If anyone knows any others I'd be interested)

A good podcast is the Guardian's Football Weekly. It comes out on Mondays and Thursdays. It's hosted by James Richardson who does the "Football Friday" show on Setanta

I'd also recommend the Guardian's Fiver e-mail or read it on their site. It comes at around noon US time and is usually very funnyThe Link

The Game Podcast from The Times(London) is also good. That comes out on Monday/Tues

The podcasts are both around 30-45 minutes

30. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

Manchester fans around here are becoming like OU fans