Arsonist gets the death penalty. In California

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by zzzz, Jun 5, 2009.

1. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

2. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

Good riddings, not that CA will ever kill this guy given the delays and bureaucracy.

He's no different than a lethal terrorist.

3. StregaHorn

StregaHorn 100+ Posts

I lived in California when those fires were started. We could see them in Orange County. Those firefighters that died, it was tragic. Many rewards were offered to help bring the arsonist to justice after it was determined that was the case.

4. bevo barry

bevo barry 500+ Posts

I live in CA. Unfortuantely, Satan and his cohorts wil be playing ice hockey before this guy gets injected. CA is one f'd up state.

5. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I fear mcbrett is correct. I am surprised the death penalty is still legal in California. When was the last time California put some one to death?

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

California can be thankful the guy was not tried in LA County, he might have gotten off.

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Anyone that has seen how terrible a 3rd degree burn affects a person, knows that to intentionally start fires is just plain evil. I guess I've seen waaay more than my share of burn patients. You guys are right. Good riddance (if it ever happens).

8. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

My thoughts go out to the firemen's families.

Question for you lawyers out there, how was this first-degree murder?

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was wondering that same thing. I can't really imagine how that charge stuck, unless there were just a lot of really angry people involved. (And rightly angry, obviously.)

10. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

California Penal CodeIn reply to:

11. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

I generally oppose the death penalty but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over this guy being injected with some bad stuff.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Lethal injection? Burn him at the stake.

13. RabidLonghorn

RabidLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I am a Dem and I say fry him after they let Manson test out the chair first.

14. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Another Dem here who has no problems with the Death Penalty, nor its use in this case. Although, I know it will cost the taxpayers mores, I hope he has a lot of anal-rape jailtime before they kill him....

15. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

I will be the voice of oppostion here.

Killing this criminal will not protect society from him better than will life imprisonment. It will not be less expensive. Texas executes far more murderers than other states yet does not have a commensurately lower murder rate-- killing criminals does not seem to function as a superior deterrent to imprisoning them.

The principal value to be found in capital punishment is satisfaction of base human bloodlust and thirst for revenge. While I too draw this satisfaction, I am able to assert my reason over my emotion sufficiently to determine that killing another to make me feel better is wrong.

In cases where protection of the innocent is demonstrably inferior without a death penalty, I can be persuaded otherwise. In modern-day US, however, I am opposed to capital punishment.

16. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Well said, kgp

17. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Good point kgp. If I were a criminal and had to choose between life in prison and the death penalty, I'd take the death penalty myself. I can think of nothing worse than serving life in prison (assuming there is no chance for parole).

19. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

That is a large assumpton WB.

20. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

21. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Are Fire Fighters considered like Police Officers?

I think in Texas if you kill a Public Safety officer/person that makes the Death Penalty relevant.

Is that the same in California and for Fire Fighters?

22. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

In reply to: