Art Briles is Already Being Accused of Cheating

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn6721, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Shocked :lmao:
    For some reason I can't link the article but Art is accused of bringing in ringers to Mt Vernon.
    They are 3-0
    last year only won 1 game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks HiC

• Like Like x 1
  4. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Good coaching can do that in high school and just about any level.

• poop poop x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think I’m missing your point? Perhaps that it’s OK to cheat because “good coaches” can do it?

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Maybe it's legit, maybe not. Me thinks the UIL had some pretty strict rules about transfers, ringers, etc. but they may not be enforced or perhaps the UIL has not had time to investigate these allegations against poor ole Art.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Note to Mt. Vernon cheerleaders and pep squad: if you get invited to a football players' party at Coach Briles house, tell them you have a lot of homework to do or something ...

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Maje?
    Did you read the article?

Poor ol Art:rolleyes1:

• Hot Hot x 1
  9. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

I think what's meant is good coaching can cause a dramatic turnaround, not that good coaches are allowed to cheat.

In this case, could be both.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

What are the Vegas line odds on Briles getting canned? I had read sometime back that enrollment at the MV HS went up after he was named the HC. Only figures that ringers and perhaps ineligible players would flock in and Briles, I mean his assistants would get them on the team. Briles doesn't know about it, isn't that his lame assed excuse that was used at Baylor? The big eye opener is MV is 3-0 now and has crushed at least one opponent. They only won 1 game all of last season. Naw, that dog don't hunt. Art Briles è un pezzo di merda!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

:yes:
    Bringing in ringers can help one become a Good coach too.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Yes you are missing the point........ Point is......Good coaches attract good players. You think Lake Travis, Argyle, and other great teams don't get a lot of transfers ( families moving into the zone/district ) ??? Also just because he is winning doesn't mean he is cheating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  13. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Athletes must live within the zone /district they play ( there are a few exceptions to that rule ). Transfers are investigated in every district. Forms have to be filled out by the parents and also the school personnel from which the player is leaving. If it is proven the player transferred for athletic reasons, then he/she is denied eligibility...if so they must play sub-varsity as underclassmen their first year there. It is very hard to prove "transfering for athletic purposes" unless it is admitted. It is a free country and parents can move where they want.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Call me crazy but a GOOD coach does not let the crap that went on at BU go on.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Hot x 1
  15. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Any word on whether these new transfers like white women?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Hot Hot x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. And if Sandusky ever gets out on parole, I suppose a few out there would like to hire him as their local high school defensive coordinator--his knowledge of defense is unmatched. Maybe even bring in OJ as a running back coach while they're at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  17. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

So, they become legible? ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • poop poop x 1
  18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The article doesn't present any evidence that the kids who moved in are actually ringers, though UIL is pretty stiff with their classification of a "legal" move for competition purposes. Some student athletes have been told tough luck even though their families physically moved into the district and they met all residency guidelines set forth by school districts. Tyler Davis from A&M was one when he played basketball for Plano West.

I'll hold off on judging the situation. I think Majestic is right... some coaching changes can take a middling HS football team and turn them into a 10-0 division champ overnight, especially at the 1A-3A level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

At these smaller schools and in more remote places, there are probably more legitimate reasons for transfer. For example, our HS offers cosmetology courses. If no other school offers that in your area, you can transfer. It’s analogous to thinly traded markets having more opportunities for arbitrage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

I guess there aren't many GOOD coaches at a lot of schools, because many let a lot of crap go on....Just one Example: A former SWC school had a lot of 'get out of jail free' cards used for -----ball players during X's tenure there. He was considered a GREAT coach. Briles didn't LET anything "go on". He just let the judicial system deal with the "allegations" . How many of those led to convictions that should warrant dismissal from the team. He felt he was a "football coach" not a judge and jury.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'd avoid the phrase "pretty stiff" on anything to do with an Art Briles team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mt Vernon has 2800 residents.
    Would it be unusual for 4 families to move there since June1 who just happened to have 4 players who started for Briles?
    Nah nothing to see here.

Interesting that Southern Miss, who wants to win as much as anyone wouldn't hire him. there was talk at Arkansas who is no holder of high standards but even they wouldn't touch him.
    I forgot about the Hamilton Canada team who hired Briles then withdrew the offer.

supposedly Mt Vernon vetted him but did not talk to the NCAA.let alone to any of the victims. But they were bad dudes, what were those girls doing around them??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

1) your assessment that Briles did not permit a "rapey" culture is very generous. Even their white wash Pepper Hamilton report wasn't that kind to him.
    2) I don't accept this "no one else is perfect so its OK" argument.

Your entire argument seems to be based on the fact that a football coach has no influence or purview over their players' off the field behavior, and that is just plain wrong.

Briles is scum, going all the way back to his Stephenville days and i bet nothing has changed.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Maje
    When was the first year of allegations about player behavior?
    Was there only 1 year?
    If not then Briles did let it go on

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  26. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I'm confused about the wtf. You asked when the first year of allegations was and whether the problem went on for more than one year. I was trying to find a source to answer your questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Stan
    Thanks. At least 4 years.
    Makes Maje's claim that "He just let the judicial system deal with the "allegations" look pretty weak.
    I see some of the ( How did Maje characterize them? OH yea "allegations) allegations ended in prison sentences.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I meant WTF as in 4 YEARS?? 4 Years.
    I than you for info

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Look everyone deserves a second chance, even a scum like Briles
    but did he learn anything?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Briles was accused of cheating at Stephenville and moving players into the district to play for him. Is he alone in doing that? No, but the list of other violators is greater than the list not doing it.

Any comparison of Briles to Sandusky is beyond comprehension. Sandusky was guilty of unspeakable crimes against innocent kids, and then Paterno covered it up.

Not one person on this board knows what Briles knew, when he knew it, and if he condoned it. Apparently neither were investigators able to produce evidence or we wouldn't be having this conversation. Nothing was proven.

I don't like Briles, and don't want him coaching at Texas, even though he is a brilliant football mind, but this lynchmob mentality (we saw it at work against our program in AC gate) is beyond horrible for those that believe in our Constitution.

If you know something, go to the prosecutors, other wise save your righteous indignation.

Anyone that thinks Briles got a thought from Arkansas, knows nothing about the man running that program. Johnny Tyson would NEVER have allowed that to happen, and anyone proposing it would have been immediately terminated.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1