art briles is back

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by weller1, May 24, 2019.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm actually ok with him applying. What I'm not ok with is him being hired as a coach of any kind. It's normal for people to want a job, but he needs to find a new career that doesn't involve kids. He's got plenty of money so just start up a business of some kind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

That’s just all kinds of bad

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

They "vetted to the best of their ability."
    Which consisted of "asking people who know him personally."

Uh, I'm sure Art's friends and family gave him a ringing endorsement but that is not the same as "vetting".

Looks like Jason McCullough is learning its not wise to invite a skunk to come live under your porch. Which seems like it should be common sense...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/sportsmanship-manual.pdf

A few bullet point excerpts from the above-linked official UIL Texas publication

(draw your own conclusions about the appropriateness of Briles as a leader of young high-schoolers):

Page 9: Behavior Expectations of the Coach

Exemplify the highest moral character, behavior and leadership, adhering to strong ethical and integrity standards. As coach, it is your responsibility to act in a positive manner to show your athletes the proper way to conduct themselves in competitive situations.
    Set a good example for players and spectators to follow.
    • Be no party to the use of profanity, obscene language or improper actions, which include the verbal or physical abuse of participants, coaches, officials or spectators.

Page 12: Behavior Expectations: Officials, School Administrators ...

• Recognize exemplary behavior and actively discourage undesirable conduct by participants, coaches and fans.

Pages 20-21: UIL Coaches Code of Conduct

• Trustworthiness - Be worthy of trust in all I do and teach student-athletes the importance of integrity, honesty, reliability and loyalty.
    • Integrity - Model high ideals of ethics and sportsmanship and always pursue victory with honor. Teach, advocate and model the importance of honor and good character by doing the right thing even when it is unpopular or personally costly.
    • Honesty - Do not lie, cheat, steal, engage in or permit dishonest or unsportsmanlike conduct
    • Primacy of Educational Goals - Be faithful to the educational and character-development missions of the school and assure that these objectives are not compromised to achieve sports performance goals. Always place the academic, emotional, physical and moral well being of athletes above desires and pressures to win
    • Respect - Treat all people with respect at all times, and require the same of student-athletes.
    • Advocate Honor - Prominently discuss the importance of character, ethics and sportsmanship in materials about the athletic program, and vigorously advocate the concept of pursuing victory with honor in all communications.
    • Good Character - Foster the development of good character by teaching, advocating and modeling high standards of ethics and sportsmanship.
    • Personal Conduct - Refrain from profanity, disrespectful conduct and the use of alcohol or tobacco in front of student athletes or other situations where my conduct could undermine my positive impact as role model.
    • Role-Modeling - Be a worthy role-model, always be mindful of the high visibility and great influence I have as a teacher-coach and consistently conduct myself in private and coaching situations in a manner that exemplifies all that I want my student-athletes to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Add: Read Hornfans?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Of the nine bullet points, looks like he failed each one. Great role model for a bunch of HS guys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

As one who taught school for 26 years, 24 at HS level, beginning in the late 80's those bullet points are from the "Leave it to Beaver" era. Roughly 95% of students don't look to coaches and teachers to be role models at all. Take it from someone who lived it and isn't speaking from a theoretical point of view. Sad but true.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That students don't look to teachers as role models, does not imply those teachers should fail to behave as role models anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I_Dont_Exist

You're right and 99% of us do or did. How many of your teachers did you look up to? I don't mean respect but actually admire. In the mid 90's one of my former students murdered another. I can assure you he didn't look to me for guidance on the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Modeling good behavior and setting good examples is being a role model. Kids rarely ever consider teachers a role model because they are kids and most think most teachers suck. However let a teacher pass a kid a joint or show him a playboy and he'll follow that model of bad behavior in a second because he's a kid thinking that adult is cool. Teachers have to role model the good behaviors whether they think the kid is following or not. Actually that should be the standard for all adults but many adults suck at that too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I_Dont_Exist

I don't disagree with anything you said. But experienced the reality first hand. The "Brady Bunch" days have been ancient history for quite a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Well, I'm not sure if I am the most typical of former HS students. I went to a very small school (graduating class of 32 people) and my father was the Principal. I can still name 5 teachers who I respected and admired. I can name several who were just so-so. I can remember very well the coaches whom I respected, and on the other hand the ones who would cuss you, who would call people demeaning nicknames, and who thought nothing of using humiliation as a teaching tool.

Frankly, remembering the latter group of coaches, I'm quite pleased to see those standards codified. Hopefully they will also be enforced when necessary.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Briles--had he been in your shoes: "That murderer was one bad dude. What's the victim hanging around him for?"*

*very close to Briles comments after the gang rape of a Baylor co-ed by Baylor football players: (paraphrased) 'Those are some bad dudes. What's she hanging around them for.'

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. I_Dont_Exist

Quite possibly the most inane and irrelevant response in the history of the internet. Do you dress yourself?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. I_Dont_Exist

You're saying I was in some way responsible for a former student's behavior? He was in my world history class so whatever he did afterwards is on me? He was under my supervision for one hour a day Mon'-Fri. Briles was those guys head coach 24/7. Just how fuctking stupid can a human being be?

• poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

What do you mean?

17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The night Nixon resigned I was at my high school speech teachers house drinking Cold Duck and watching it live on her television.
    Her husband was the videographer for Peter, Paul and Mary.
    I thought she was pretty cool. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sangre Naranjada

If she was truly cool you wouldn't have been drinking Cold Duck.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You clearly need work on your reading comprehension. I was positing the sort of comment Briles would have made had he been in your shoes. (Based on the actual comment made when he found out about the gang rape by Baylor Players).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Oh man! I agree. That stuff is nasty with a capital N A S T and Y!

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. I_Dont_Exist

Oh! So you were posting the "sort of"thing Briles might have said and attributing it to me. Aren't you the master of communication. Do me a favor and put me on ignore. I'm.too old to put up with this level of dumbass.

• poop poop x 2
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Your intellect is equaled only by your social skills. I'm sure you're a real delight at dinner parties.

23. I_Dont_Exist

Wrong. My intellect far exceeds my social skills. And those who matter admire my stylish rhetoric and witty innuendo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

His comment did not attribute anything to you. It was speculation on how Briles might have responded in a similar situation, and had nothing to do with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

As far as high school teachers go, here was one. My 9th grade science teacher jump started my quest to pursue a career in some sort of science. University professors? There is a long list of Chemical Engineering Professors who I looked up to, admired and who took a genuine interest in us as students and mentored us about life in general and our careers to be. These included (but not limited to) Dr. john McKetta, Dr. Jim Stice, and Dr. Howard Rase. Dr. Ernest Gloyna was Dean of Engineering during my time in the Engineering College. His son was one of my closest friends and the good Doctor was a true role model. I very, very much admired all of these men and I owe them a huge debt of gratitude. A debt I most likely have not properly repaid. I know scores of fellow engineers who would say the same thing about them and others.
    I wonder if any of Art Briles' former players can say that about him? Maybe so. Maybe not.

26. I_Dont_Exist

Perhaps it was the "Briles- if he was in your shoes" would have said the same thing that confused one of us.

27. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i thought the "only a matter of time" would be a longer time.

29. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I just saw where they brought back Motorcycle boy Petrino to Mo St.........Briles not mentioned.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  30. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

So much for the football scoop staff- whatever that is. Hopefully the girls VB team has been put on notice of the Petrino hire.