Article: Texas in Nosedive

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Driftwood, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood 250+ Posts

Don't shoot the messenger. Saw this on the Yahoo Sports Women's Basketball web site.
    The Link

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We're not really in a nosedive, just in a year-long plateau.

3. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

4. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

it is all about the personnel on the team. the system that's being employed and the staff can only do so much -- just ask coach conradt. i don't know how she put up with it either. i'm sure gail is feeling her pain. it's the old "you can lead the cattle to water" thing going on.

there is leftover negativity and, some may not want to hear this but, until house is cleaned, i think we will struggle to find GENIUNE good chemistry. good thing there are great new recruits coming in next season, and others on the horizon.

5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't think the team is in a freefall. They have not lived up to overly optimistic expectations but have certainly improved over last season, even though the record may not reflect it. With the players coming next season, the record should reflect this. The really good thing about the three coming in is that Coach G will better options at PG and in the post.

I think the team needs to think about the playoffs, whether they end up at the WNIT or squeak into the NCAAs. There's a tangible reward for improved play still available to them this season.

Next season will see healthier players (hopefully no injuries) and more depth everywhere, not just in the wings. And they will have had a season to be more comfortable in Coach G's system, perhaps eliminating some of the errors that come from still having the old system ingrained for 2-3 years.

6. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

I think the pre-conference success and rankings set our expectations really high, so it is very frustrating trying to understand what's gone wrong. It's frustrating to know this team CAN be good enough to play in the NCAA's, but just can't quite make it happen. I'm still going to hope for a run in the conference tourney to turn this season around.

[​IMG]

7. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

bab and brulee, you both make good points that i agree with pretty much 100%. i am still hopeful as well. it's time, though, for the players to start stepping up. there is inconsistency in their intensity -- and for that there is no excuse. you may have nights where you can't throw it in the ocean, but you can always be focused, play with positive energy, and bust your butts to make things happen. new players coming in will truly have ample opportunity to displace some people. while still hopeful we will somehow salvage this season, i can't help but anticipate the arrival of some fresh talent.

8. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

This is a streaky team. Here's hoping that they catch on fire and ride a streak to finish the season. They beat OSU and Baylor. So it's in them. It's just putting it together for 40 minutes game in and game out.

I also agree that the preseason wins gave everyone great hope that we would have a winning season. It hasn't happened quite like we pictured it so we have a sour taste in our mouths.

9. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Ditto Tom Wingo!

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We aren't freefalling, we just aren't getting any better. We're seeing the same mistakes and in similar frequency to what we've seen all this year and all the previous year.

11. VinceYoungScores

VinceYoungScores 100+ Posts

12. horntooter

horntooter 25+ Posts

Please, let's not even go there. We can go back to last year's copious posts to get MrWingo's opinion on how Jody sucked. Admittedly, none of it had to do with basketball that I remember (and I sure don't plan to go back and double check), but he did list in exhaustive detail all of her teeming and myriad deficiencies.

Well, actually... I don't believe there were teeming and myriad deficiencies. There were only a few. He just posted them over and over again. [​IMG]

Obviously, I don't get it either, VYS. Jody's gone. Coach G is here. It's disappointing that thing's haven't gone better this year and there are probably numerous factors. But she'll get it done before too long.

13. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

14. WeRTexas

WeRTexas 25+ Posts

I agree orangehoops!

I have great faith in Coach G and her staff. I think she will be recruiting a different type of player and she knows how to build teams with good chemistry. I'm willing to wait for success because I know it is headed our way in the future!

15. orangehoops

orangehoops 100+ Posts

without a doubt, weRtexas. without a doubt!