As if we needed more reasons to dislike the French

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrntOrngStmpeDe, Aug 31, 2017.

1. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Charlie Hebdo has a lot in common with the Alt-Right. They revel in outlandish and controversial memes/images under the guise of sparking discussion. In the end, it's really just an outlet for mean spirited political bias.

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

First, I never got into the Je suis Charlie junk for this reason. Nothing justifies the Charlie Hebdo terror attacks, but these guys are pricks with whom I don't want to associate. They feast on cheap ridicule of people who disagree with them and incite hostility. Obviously this is in horrible taste, and to be honest, I thought their Muhammad stuff was in horrible taste. I'm not an apologist for Islam by any means and not a fan of over-sensitivity and political correctness, but I don't agree with intentionally doing things for no reason and to serve no goal other than to offend people. It's morally depraved and makes legitimate PC critics look bad.

Second, the stereotype we have of French people as being anti-American ******** is misguided. Yes, a certain segment of Parisians are like this. However, I've visited France a handful of times, and virtually everybody I've encountered was friendly and decent. And in rural areas, they are extremely friendly and welcoming. For example, last year, we visited the Alsace with my parents and stayed in a place that was over a bar/restaurant. My dad and I went down to the bar one night, had a few beers, some local wine, and dinner, and we got into a conversation with several French people (who were farmers) at a nearby table. None spoke English, but my dad and I both knew enough French and German to talk to them. Not only were they very friendly, but without telling us, they paid our €80 dinner and booze tab. Unbelievable. In addition, my missionary friend in Paris (the guy who preaches to Muslims) says that even the vast majority if Parisians have been nothing but kind to him and his family.

Finally, the contempt the Charlie Hebdo people showed isn't dramatically worse than that moronic Politico cartoon. It's just more hypocritical horse crap. Make fun of Texans, and it's just an innocent joke. Say something that is only 99 percent politically correct about another group, and people freak out. Again, what if someone had done a cartoon lampooning Katrina victims? Suppose someone did a cartoon with a caricatured black dude running from a flooded area with a stolen TV. How long would that guy have kept his job?

• Like Like x 4