Ash out for 'this week'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by accuratehorn, Sep 1, 2014.

1. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Ash will not play this week, per Coach Strong's press conference now airing on LHN.
    This is a bombshell dropped out of the blue.
    The coaching staff received a call after the game, late at night by the training staff. The injury may have come during the play where the fumble occurred in the end zone. Ash played until the end of the game.
    Worst possible news, and we have to wonder if he will ever play again, or indeed, if he ever should play again.
    Coach Strong is downplaying this, saying other players must step up, etc. But this is huge news, of the worst possible type.

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Terrible news. David just can't stay healthy.

3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Bad, bad news. I suspect the eventual outcome will be that Ash is done with football... how can it not be? [​IMG]

4. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I think he's done also. He should look after his health now first and foremost.

5. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I love the kid'a attitude. I'm not going to be the one telling him he's through. If he's medically cleared, he'll be a good quarterback. If he's not, we're going to see mediocre quarterbacking until Heard and/or Swoops figure it out at this level.

6. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

yep--give it up and concentrate on getting your degree [​IMG]

7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Read it on SB Nation. Ash out with concussion symptoms. Espinosa out broken ankle.

So we have Swoopes with minimal PT from last year, and Raulerson with 1quarter of PT this year.

Ash really needs to hang up the cleats and take no more chances. Espinosa might return later, depends on the severity of the break. I wish them both speedy recoveries.

Bad and sad news. The weight is really on the D from here out.

8. It Hurts

It Hurts 100+ Posts

Wow, one game and out. I thought he would at least make two or three games.

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

As much as it sucks, I'm glad Strong is the kind of guy to stick to his principles. A lot of coaches would be like "Ok, Daje, you're suspension is over now that we're down to our backup QB."

10. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

Sucks for Ash, but I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys play.

11. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm not losing hope yet on the 9-3 reg season prediction if Ash stayed healthy. Swoopes should take over now and be able to run that form of offense. What we showed on Sat was very efficient and not overly demanding of the QB. A lot of it was short, mid-range passing and first option deliveries. Nothing all that complicated compared to others.

They weren't asking Ash to be all-world, nor will they ask that of Tyrone. Swoopes will be fine if he listens to his coaches and plays within the system. He got enough reps all Spring as the #1 and splitting reps in Fall to be a better player than last season. It's all good.

Filling the center spot is a whole other animal. Lets give Wickline a week to prepare Raulerson and get his mindset ready as a starter before we judge his play. The preparation and focus for a guy backing up the best OL on the team isn't the same mentally. It's just human nature. He prepares to play but is almost positive his only shot will be garbage time at best when the pressure is off. Now the guy gets a whole week to ramp up his mental intensity. And the coaches will give him special attention to prep him. Let's see what he's got in this starring role when he knows it's his time. Btw, even Dom and Ash fumbled a snap on Sat.

12. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

Well if he was my son he would be done. Being able to function in life is more important then a football game.

13. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

As much as I love the Longhorns and football in general, I also really love being conscious of my surroundings, being able to communicate, enjoying a good book or movie, having a productive day at the office, etc. If this is the possible choice, then its not even a choice. Either way, thank you David Ash for having the desire to give it another chance.

14. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

If Ash was my son, he's done. If I am Charlie Strong, the young man will be allowed to finish his degree on UTs dime, but he is not allowed to play.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

15. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

One Austin news reporting Ash's hit may have happened in the first qtr. Regardless, this sucks. Whatever decision is made, best of luck to David and thanks for giving it everything you had for the Horns.

[​IMG]

16. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

The UT lawyers need to talk to the Athletic Director and get Ash to hang it up....he is prone to concussions and should not step back on the field....ever....

thank you, David for a great effort....

17. REALBIGHORNFAN

REALBIGHORNFAN 250+ Posts

Jerrod Heard is the best QB in Austin.

18. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Do we even know what injury he has?

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yes. Concussion symptoms.

21. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

Worst possible news. Without Ash we have no qb. Without a qb we will not be very competetive in Big 12. I was laready getting worried by our lack of production on offense with Ash now we may not have home at all. [​IMG]

22. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts