Ash OuT?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by humahuma, Sep 11, 2013.

1. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Any word on Ash? Vegas has that Ash is Out for the game. Was there anything official?

2. Bigtex112

Bigtex112 500+ Posts

I hope the kid is ok, but does it really matter? The QB situation at Texas is laughable.

3. Jim Bob

Jim Bob 1,000+ Posts

The Link

Yes, Ash is out. With the game already decided and the offensive line beaten by a physical defense, Major was calling quarterback draws. Now David Ash has a concussion.

I'm beginning to think we don't have a smart coaching staff.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Shipley will catch a lot of balls this Sat. Make a bet he goes over 100 yds. Money in the bank.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The two QB draws I remember us calling worked well. The zone reads continually didn't, so we called them with a lot more frequency.

6. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Ash isn't officially out, but he didn't practice Tuesday and it doesn't sound like he'll play.

If Ash doesn't play, Case will start. Swoopes will be backup (and they won't hesitate to play him), and Overstreet will only play qb in a catastrophic situation.

8. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I hope Ash isn't put in unless he is close to100%. They don't need to make this worse than it is. Hope he heals soon.

9. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

I bet he plays...he gives us our best chance to win and this game needlesstosay is crucial with respect to whether our season will be defined as a successful one.

[​IMG]

10. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

So if it's a shoulder injury, does that mean that Texas' Ash is in a sling?

11. Pogo

Pogo 250+ Posts

Anyone believing Mack that Ash is a "gametime decision" is pretty damn gullible.

12. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

13. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

In Case he can't play I hope someone Swoopes in and rises up from the Ash.

14. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Game Time Decision... More like a staunch effort to deter Mississippi from playing all their DB's in middle deep zones. I hope the running game is ready to roll. Case has shown some flashes for his brother but for the most part.. I am a bit weary of his arm beyond 15 yards. I hope these players "Get it fixed".

15. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

I'll be the whipping boy...

I think (if Ash is out) that Case will do fine. He's got a week to focus and get back up to speed. A weak sideline throw will turn into a pick 6, but otherwise he'll complete around 60% and the offense will put up over 400 yds (between rushing and passing) and 28 points.

My concern is will the D hold Ole Miss under 35.

16. Hornia

Hornia 250+ Posts

The D will be alright, as long as the Horns don't have 10 3 and outs to start the game in this "fast" paced offense. I feel Case will have a better chance to keep plays alive with his feet. Wonder what happens the following week should Case go lights out. Oh, never mind, I really don't think it will matter.

17. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm saying this is still a 50/50 deal. Mack absolutely doesn't want to take another loss and I know he doesn't have full confidence in McCoy being able to get the ball downfield. Also, he'd like to preserve Swoopes redshirt, which he couldn't if McCoy's first half was just horrendous.

If Ash can go, and I'm sure there still is a shot sitting here on a Thursday, he will go.

18. mojo17

mojo17 1,000+ Posts

Ash has played well this year and played with a lot of heart. He is a major upgrade from Case. We have a fighting chance if he plays. No one should be ragging on this kid yet.

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Red shirting Swoops isn't as important as red shirting Hurd . If Swoops plays he will assume the #2 over McCoy which will mean McCoy the dad will raise holy hell, but so be it.

In the old days a starting QB could not lose his position by injury, but with the program and coaches jobs hanging in the balance, if Swoops plays and wins he may be the starter until he gets hurt in the ou game.

20. Hornia

Hornia 250+ Posts

The Horns probably do not stand a fighting chance no matter who the QB is if they keep putting the defense in the situations they have the first two games. If you are going to have a hurry up offense, well you sure as heck better not keep having 3 and outs every other series. You have to give the big hosses up front some rest. Ash by no means is the answer to the QB woes at Texas and I don't see why a QB who went 1 - 9 in 2A is expected to be the answer either. But, if these coaches can't do a better job with all the talent they have, it is just about hopeless anyway.

21. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

With the rest of the offense doing their job, David Ash is more than capable of being a solid starting QB. The problem here is everyone is wanting him to go above and beyond to save the rest of the awful situations we are in. Vince Young, Colt McCoy? No. GG or Case? Not even close. They block, they run, they run their routes, Ash gets them the ball a heavy percentage of the time. That simple. Case? Good luck.

22. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

In the past, if a player did not practice, he did not play on Saturday, so my guess is that Ash is out and only being called a "game time decision" to make Ole Miss prepare for the possibility that he might play.

With Ash, the wideouts become a deep threat on every play. Without Ash, I think the horns should be decided underdogs. However, Vegas has the horns by 2 or 3.

23. EnricoPalazzo

EnricoPalazzo 25+ Posts

"he is a major upgrade from Case."

^^^ This makes me sad.

And as a separate statement, I have to respectfully disagree.

24. Hornia

Hornia 250+ Posts

Well, good to see that everything must be juuuuust right in order for Ash to be great. I have always said there is more to being a good QB than just having a strong arm.

25. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

To me Case and Ash both fit the same mold of capable in the right situations. Case has intangibles to win that Ash often doesn't. Ash has a live arm to get the ball downfield and Case doesn't for the most part. Either likely will win the game if the rest of the team is winning their part. Both tread water when called upon to lift the stalling parts past the trouble at hand.

Mack's in a tough situation with resurrecting this thing. Even a win still carries a large amount of disapproval for even being in this situation. If he was a gambler and wanted the one shot to completely win back a lot of excitement he'd roll with Swoopes. Could be a disaster if it blew up in his face. Yet if Tyrone turned out to be an electrifying gamer under the lights and we laid it on Ole Miss by double-digits...all the anger and disappointment may just swing to new excitement over the new flashy leader. We saw this first hand when OU was hammering us and Vince Young unleashed towards the end. Lotta people left that stadium with a hidden grin for life to come with Vince.

26. Hornia

Hornia 250+ Posts

I know exactly what you are saying, but I doubt that Swoopes is anything close to Vince. Besides, even Vince only beat OU once. It was actually the "weaker" armed QBs that had the greatest sucess against OU in recent years.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

28. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

29. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

kinda figured as much

30. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

Don't worry! With the huge holes our OL will open for the run game, Case may only need to throw 10 times.