Ask your legal questions here

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by DrewDevil, Oct 12, 2007.

1. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

Ask your legal questions here, and I'll try to answer them. The other lawyers on the board should feel free to jump in as well, as I certainly don't know everything.
    Impressive and Foreboding Legal Disclaimers:

Answers posted here are general legal information, not specific legal advice as to a specific situation.

Nothing in this thread shall be construed to create an attorney-client relationship between anyone and anyone else.

If you actually need a lawyer to give you specific legal advice, either PM me or one of the other lawyers posting here.

I am only licensed in Texas.

Fire away.

2. LAktownhorn

LAktownhorn 250+ Posts

did johnny fairplay assault bonaduce or did bonaduce assault fairplay? is fairplay going to win in court?

3. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Under what constitutional authority does President G.W. Bush operate the "warrantless wiretapping" program in an effort to listen in on telephone conversations that begin & terminate in the United States of America?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

what would you do if you were buying a property that has a bomb shelter on the premises in central Austin... it has been closed for years and is tightly closed. (i am asking on here for serious help, no offense to the treasure hunters/goonies on the other thread, their day will come if we acquire the property)

5. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

Will a state court follow Michiana Easy Livin' Country, Inc., v. Holten, 168 S.W.3d 777 (Tex. 2005), given that the Texas Supreme Court was applying federal law, and in July a federal magistrate judge in Texas disagreed with the Texas Supreme Court in Staton Holdings, Inc., v. Hilton Apparel Group, et. al., No. 3-07-CV-0383-BD, 2007 WL 1964635 (N.D. Tex. July 5, 2007)?

6. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

7. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

9. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

10. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

11. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

12. Dr Fear

Dr Fear 500+ Posts

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The City of Dallas is mailing me a parking ticket notice on a car I sold about 9 years ago, and the guy didn't transfer the title. I didn't know about the proof of title transfer form at the top of car titles back then, I do now. The ticket is 8 or 9 years old. Should I write them, ignore it, or pay it?

14. vy til i die

vy til i die 100+ Posts

15. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

I would write a letter--do you have a bill of sale or anything else evidencing the transfer? If not, contact the DPS also.

16. Mr Bean

Mr Bean 100+ Posts

I spent this entire week on a jury in a civil case. I ended up being the jury foreman. From what I can tell, this case will get appealed. We as a jury did exactly as instructed by the court, but is there any chance that they'll bug me about something during the appeals process?

17. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

18. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

My Mother needs to prepare a last will & testament (no, not ill... it's something we "all" should do but she's sorta in the mood to get this out of the way).

What should one anticipate as a "reasonable & customary" fee for professional services in this area?

I am certain there are online options, however why would a barrister suggest a method that would potentially take money off their table?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Where is the best place to stash a body?

20. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^

In Alaska, buried next to rotten whataburger in a fedex box.

21. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Were Brennan and Marshall (sometimes written as Marshall and Brennan) really the first pair of Siamese twins to serve on the Supreme Court?

22. Basil Your Face

Basil Your Face 100+ Posts

Under what twisted rationale are defense costs under liability policies considered first party claims? More importantly, who bribed the Texas SC to issue an opin9ion stating such?

23. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

Lamar Homes . . . revisiting coverage opinions thanks to that one.

24. DrewDevil

DrewDevil 25+ Posts

25. clandestine

clandestine 25+ Posts

26. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

Drew, way to bring OOT to Hornfans. [​IMG]

27. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

It is a DTPA violation to sue on a consumer debt in any county other than where the defendant resides. Say you want to sue on a consumer loan with two signatories, but one defendant lives in Travis County and the other lives in Bexar County. Do you file two separate lawsuits, one in each county? If so, do you get two different judgments or do you file a motion to consolidate in order to get one judgment?

28. Big Horn

Big Horn 100+ Posts

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Mother needs to prepare a last will & testament (no, not ill... it's something we "all" should do but she's sorta in the mood to get this out of the way).

What should one anticipate as a "reasonable & customary" fee for professional services in this area?

I am certain there are online options, however why would a barrister suggest a method that would potentially take money off their table?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a simple estate, probably $1,000 minimum. The price would go up with the complexity of the estate.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Nothing like finding out you are way too cheap.

A simple will for an estate worth less than a million or so without complicated trusts (but it would include a trust for minors or benificiaries under a certain age) can be had for a lot less than a grand where I practice.

I have seen a lot of "internet" and other forms with major defects and have also seen people fill them out wrong. These issues can completely invalidate the wills at worst or make the probate a hell of a lot more difficult at best.

29. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, I've done three or four wills for very cheap.

30. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

Which of your paying clients is being billed for this time?