Ask your legal questions here

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by DrewDevil, Oct 12, 2007.

1. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

I stand corrected. I do not ever deal with class c's for a variety of reasons.

My answer would be correct for any class b or a misdemeanor. Listen to Big Horn.

2. Bookman

Bookman 1,000+ Posts

I got a warning ticket yesterday in Brownsville. Will that go on my "record"? If so, what are the ramifications, for how long does it stay, and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

3. Big Horn

Big Horn 100+ Posts

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Big Horn:

For me, it jsut seems that when some guy comes in, willing to pay me $500 to take a speeding ticket to jury trial, when the prosecutor is offering deferred/def. driving...

those clients are BATSHIT CRAZY.

that's my sole reason. they seem to be high maintenance clients, so the $$$/hour sucks **** through a straw.

5. Big Horn

Big Horn 100+ Posts

Yes, they are frequently crazy.

6. orangein

orangein 25+ Posts

I normally just appeal the case to the overworked county attorney. They LOVE to have class C misdemeanors on the Trial dockets. They normally will dismiss or give a Pre-Trial Diversion for a minimal fine and I usually have the PTD deal worked out before I file the appeal. The County Attorney usually will undercut the price the city attorney offers because they do not have to send a set amount to the State and want the fine $ in their coffers instead of the cities.

Many times no one ever has to go to Court.

Also, the expunction laws in Texas are crap - they certainly discourage deferred adjudication I have always felt if the case is ultimately dismissed, regardless of how, the case should be automatically expunged immediately.

7. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Any good dwi lawyers to recommend in the Austin area?

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Any opinion on Ken Gibson or Dunham and Rogers for dwi cases?

9. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

"I'm handing you what I've marked as Exhibit 1, which appears to be a May 1, 1999 letter from you to the president. Is that what it is?"

11. old'un

old'un 25+ Posts

If my son and his wife die without a will, who would get custody of their children? Would it have to go to court, or is their an automatic ruling?

12. dfw75201

dfw75201 250+ Posts

Here's my question: My dad was involved in a minor fender bender. He was at fault, but there was no damage to either car and no injuries reported at the scene. Of course, the "victim" has invented some soft tissue injuries and sued. My dad is being represented by a lawyer for his insurance company and the thing has dragged on. The plaintiffs want to settle within policy limits, but the insurance company won't settle. The facts would indicate that any damages awarded would be well below policy limits, but since this is happening in South Texas, anything can happen.

Is there any way to force the insurance company to settle within policy limits? Is there a letter that my dad can write putting the insurance company on notice that if they don't settle within policy limits and there is judgment for more than policy limits later, the insurance company will be on the hook? I seem to remember something like that, but I could be confusing issues. Any other advice?

Thanks for any help.

13. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

I don't have any questions, but I wanted to say thanks to the OP and other lawyers on this board for providing free legal advice. Sometimes I wish I had a law degree not to practice law but just to know how to handle various situations. Your advice is greatly appreciated, even though I don't need any right now.

14. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts