Astros & Rangers Minor League Team Moves?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Phil Elliott, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Erin Hogan reporting on The Horn this morning that, in 2019 when their contract renews, the RR Express will return to the Astros organization as their AAA affiliate. The Co Springs AAA team will move to San Antonio to be the Rangers AAA team. The current AA Missions will move to Amarillo.

I wish it wasn't so long till then, although you know how time flies. I used to go to 2-3 RR games a year when they were with the Astros. I think I have been to 1 game total since they switched to the Rangers. Yes, that's how much I despise the Rangers. Haters gonna hate.

This does seem like bad news for the Amarillo Sox, tho.

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Does Nolan still own part of Round Rock, I thought that was always an issue with the Express being either a Ranger or Astro AAA team?

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is what happens when the Major League team does not own the minor league team. It was a given that RR would go back to the Astros the minute Nolan was thrown out of Arlington. The only question was where would the Ranger AAA team be going - to Fresno to replace the Astros? If the report is true, Texas in SA would basically put a real dent in the Astros push to control South Texas and Mexico markets.

However, all we know now is CS is moving to SA. Currently CS is the Milwaukee AAA team and, according to a Milwaukee TV station, Milwaukee would prefer to go to SA with the team move. However, per the report, MLB wants the Ranger AAA team in SA (which would move the Brewers to Fresno unless they can do a switch with another MiLB team) so we will see what happens over the 12 months.

The current Missions will be moving to a new stadium in Amarillo so that cannot be all bad.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Always been an Astros fan and Ive never cared whose minor league team was where. Im not gonna start going to Express games just because RR is going to be their AAA team.

Do people really care? Are people in Fresno Astros fans? Not likely.