At this point, which OC is a homerun hire?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

With Harrell and the guy from LSU off the table and so many other guys off the table, who would you call a home run hire?

Mike Yurcich - For me the OC from Ohio State would be a home run hire. He has done wonders with Justin Fields and they have proven to be one of the most potent offenses in the country. This is not just a great passing offense, JK Dobbins has been killing it all year as a running back.

His best work might be under Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State where they killed us year after year. He knows Texas recruiting as well so getting him here would be a serious win for us.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Was he at aOSU when Herman was there? That may be a prerequisite.

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That depends on which OSU you are referring to? He was at OSU when Herman was there, but he was at Okie State U not Ohio State U. Maybe that is good enough for Tom.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Did he calls plays at Okie St? I thought Gundy calls plays. I thought I read someone else calls play at Ohio St too, right?

At least he's been around some great offensive minds, plus would imagine he's a good recruiter.

5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Don't know about home run. Need to see the ball go over the fence first.
    I think Rhett Lashlee is an interesting option.
    I'd take a look at Jeff Scott...co-OC at Clemson.
    Agree on Yurcich, too...near top of the list.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the Sons of Klem can play big boy ball (which will be a first for this season) and beat aOSU in eight days we will know about Yurcich. Lashlee was good with Shane this season and learned and played for Malzahn so he should have good offensive fundamentals. While Herman threw out he was also looking at a couple of NFL guys, I am not sure any of those guys have an offense that will be competitive in the Big XII.

Absent Yurcich and Lashlee, I am not sure Herman is going to have a hat big enough to pull the right rabbit out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Why exactly is Brady "off the table?"

8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Random thought, how do we feel about Todd Haley? Was the oc for the Steelers for a while. Had Big Ben, Bell, AB among others. I think our talent pool could possibly recreate what he did there.

9. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Mike Yurcich -OSU
    Kevin Johns - Memphis
    Joe Brady -LSU
    Rhett Lashlee - SMU
    NFL coordinators or up & coming position coaches. I Don’t know much re: NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I read he has agreed to a new contract with LSU, so naturally I consider him off the table.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

He may not be but I would be hesitant to go all-in for what could be a one year wonder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I actually think that TH knows what he is doing and that there are multiple options that will be available over the coming weeks.

My money is on Yurcich as the choice he makes.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I don’t care about winning the press conference. Get it right in September

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

TH needs to get the coordinators right. Deliver a stinker season, again, and he may be out the door.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

John Mackovic is tanned, rested, and ready.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I'm listening....

17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Now that’s scary.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Hey, Tom would get a twofer. Not only a would he hire a bright offensive mind, but he would never again have to worry about being perceived as the most arrogant jerk on the staff.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

He is He is 76 years old. He's rested, I hope. Tanned and ready? I doubt it. :smh:

20. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

21. horninchicago

^^^I just wish I was smart enough to know how to do the line through a word thing.

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. HORNSFAN214

HORNSFAN214 < 25 Posts

Mike yurcich is the Leading candidate for Texas offensive coordinator job

23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Me too

• Like Like x 1
  24. weller1

weller1 25+ Posts

“Ohio State passing game coordinator Mike Yurcich is leading candidate to become new OC at Texas, sources told @Stadium. If Yurcich is hired at Texas, he would remain with Buckeyes thru @CFBPlayoff. Minnesota OC Kirk Ciarrocca also possibility for UT OC job, source said”

25. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

strike-through.png

• Hot Hot x 1
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

27. horninchicago

Wow! Who knew? Well, apparently most people besides me...

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ciarrocca to be the next OC at Penn State

29. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Certainly hope we are confident with Yurchich. If not we might return to Greg Davis or putting CDC and Herman on a plane to meet with Sterlin Gilbert.:smile1:

• Hot Hot x 1
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps you're being funny but if Gilbert can produce one two thousand yard rusher perhaps he can do it again with BJ. I didn't like him leaving and if he returned I would like it. But there is little chance of that. I don't know if he would come back anyway.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019