At this point, which OC is a homerun hire?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Austin_Bill, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Mike Yurchich?
    Is this him on the left?
    [​IMG]

4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

For those more knowledge, if you know, how does Yurcich’s philosophy differ from that of Beck or, for that matter, Herman?

For me Yurcich represents perhaps a solid but more a safe choice by Herman. After what we saw the second half of the season — mostly astounding offensive ineptitude given the talent on the roster — I was hoping for a big change. On the surface it would seem that Yurcich does not bring us such a change.

5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yurcich and Herman represent the power spread. 3 of the 4 CFP teams run a power spread, LSU is the only exception. OU is more a power spread hybrid. Then, if you look at recruiting Texas is right there with OU, LSU, OSU and just behind Clemson. So IMHO it comes down to execution (dev) and game day decisions, schemes. I like Yurcich’s back ground and success at both OSU’s where he has worked. Texas should, really should be in the CFP conversation well into next season. If not.... bye bye Herman! I think we can get there. Unless we lose half our roster to injury again.
    :bevo:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I hope Herman hands the reigns over to him.
    " Let's see what you can do."
    "I will back you up through the thick and the thin".
    Then we will know who to praise or blame.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

To me Yurcich represents a grand slam. He has the coaching pedigree in coming from the Gundy tree. He brings a balanced offense that will go about 55% - 45% pass to run. He has done a great job with Justin Fields. He is a good recruiter as he proved in landing the #2 rated pro style QB in the country.

It's now a matter of our guys picking up the new system. He has some talent to work with. My biggest question is who is going to be our new WR coach? If you want another home run hire, I hope we can also steal Brian Hartline away from Ohio State. That would be a major coup for Tom Herman as he is the #1 recruiter in the country this year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

NO SLEEP TIL DAH DAH DA DAHHHH AUSTIN!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Pro-style QB ? What ? If the new OC uses pro-style QB's, then we let the wrong guy get away in Rising !!! SMH

10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Hudson Card may not be a "prototypical" pro style QB, but I believe he could easily fit that type of offense plus he's mobile.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

But neither is Kyler Murray nor Wilson in Seattle nor Jackson in Baltimore.