ATT is the $$ behind OAN?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Seattle Husker, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I wasn't aware that ATT played such an outsized role with OAN and has intentions of creating a competitor to FoxNews. No comment just interesting inside baseball stuff.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  2. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I just dumped DirecTV. Happy to dump ATT as well.

3. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

With your definition, you are now part of the "cancel culture".

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

That really surprises me. Personally I'm happy to see another conservative leaning network, but I'm surprised ATT is the entity backing it. Maybe it is those SWB roots peeking through. I think of ATT as being one of those liberal leaning companies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was thinking of switching to Dish, but I guess I need to re-up with DTV. Maybe they'll get me some price breaks if I threaten to leave. Since they are owned by ATT I guess its all in the family.

6. Seattle Husker

ATT is taking a lot of flak for actually being one of the rare right-leaning companies. Not sure if this is a recent change or not.

7. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Dish has a better DVR and changes channels smoother.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

I had dish for about 8 years and now dtv for about 10 switching back and forth over the years since both screw you after the first 12 months. My DTV recorder does everything I need it to. The interfaces are different but I don't find one better than the other.

9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Does Dish still have weather problems?

10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Both go out in weather.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

For watching sports, my mom's Dish is the bomb. DTV is more clunky. Still fine. It's really what you're comfortable with. I argued I didn't want to learn more channels.

12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

13. Seattle Husker

Cut the chord ~4 years ago and not looking back. The only thing I miss at this point is the Pac 12 Network. Everything else I get through online services like Hulu and others which I cycle through depending on the season/sport.

My internet has to go out for me to lose service. Unfortunately, XFinity is still the best option for that where I live.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

All of you guys who still have Direct TV, Dish Network, or cable are getting hosed. I dumped cable in 2013 and never looked back. With an Amazon Fire Stick, a VPN, and a little creativity, I can watch everything that I ever wanted to see on cable back in the day. Screw all those crooks that are ripping off old ladies for $200 per month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Seattle Husker

The one thing I discovered "cutting the chord" was my internet usage jumped demonstrably. As timing would have it Xfinity was doing a trial in my area charging for "overuse". My internet bill would have jumped $300 due to 1.5TB overuse. That forced me to upgrade my internet to an unlimited plan.

Isn't Xfinity/Comcast grand? I was already on an unlimited plan that they transitioned to being a throttled/overcharge plan and wanted more $$ to move to a different unlimited plan. Xfinity/Comcast continues to be one of the worst companies and the Cable companies who have the monopoly of control of the copper into our homes are abhorrent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I cut it this month. The box to return is in the foyer. I’m dragging my feet as they have me nfl season ticket before I dropped it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you really want NFL games, subscribe to it, get the app, and watch it on a Fire Stick, smart TV, or Roku.

18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They are abhorrent and can only do what they do because the game is rigged for them. Here in the UK and in Germany, you can subscribe to cable if you want to, but most people set up a cheap satellite dish and buy a decoder box. They get a crap load of content for that with no subscription fees. Plenty still use antennas and get a lot that way. Since those are viable options, cable can't get too expensive or nobody will get it, and sure enough, it's cheap here.

Cable gets by in the US, because old people don't know and are afraid to learn to use internet technology to watch TV. My sister (who's nuts but is tech savvy) lived with my parents for awhile (because she's nuts) and got them to drop cable. They don't regret it at all. However, my mother-in-law is scared to death that she'll mess something up or that her internet will go down, so she keeps cable TV and gets absolutely ******. She's generally pretty tight with money, but she sends those crooks $225 per month. That's almost what my first car payment was back in the day.

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

The only problem is living in a rural area I don't have sufficient internet speeds to support streaming only. I preordered Elon's Starlink service which is supposed to be unlimited 150mbps but it hasn't started yet. As of now I'm stuck with just enough service to watch a movie occasionally interrupted with buffering.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yeah, that's a big problem. You do need a decent internet connection to do it. Personally, I don't have anything close to 150Mb/s. I have about 65 Mb/s (which in practice is usually a lot less), and I don't have problems. My problem is that it's hard for the WiFi signal to get to my bedroom TV, so I ghetto-rigged a wired connection with a power line adapter and plugged directly into my TV.

21. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

With my firestick I still had to pay to get sling and a couple more apps to see everything I wanted to see. Ended up costing me more than Dish so I went back to Dish.

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It all depends on what you want to watch and, frankly, how ghetto you're willing to go. If you subscribe to a bunch of services, it'll add up pretty quickly. On the other end, if you're willing to side load apps onto your Fire Stick and use a VPN, you don't have to pay for anything. I don't do that because I'm not that ghetto, but it can be done pretty easily.

I pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV. Between that, all the free content on Fire Stick, and British TV apps (BBC, iTV, and others which have a ton of American content on demand), I can watch everything I want to see for much less than American cable would cost.

23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Get yourself a mesh router/network. I had a horrible problem with signal in my house and that fixed it for me. You can add as many wifi points to your house as you need and each one boosts signal to transmit to the next one.

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

But to cover the net requirements you have to have a good source for that and in most locations cable internet is the best. Cable internet always have higher charges when that is all you get from them. I pay wayyyyy to much in katy for cable to get everything I want because wifey records her ‘novellas’ but in Tenn cable only for internet and Netflix and my Texas Xfinity account to stream everything else. Antenna covers local for the rare game local channel.

25. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

My wife watches DIY and HGTV, also game show network. I have to have ESPN and the current DTV sports pkg that includes the sports channels for college football and ranger baseball. Can't find anything that fits our needs in order to cut the cable.

Late next year we'll likely move to east Texas, henderson area (likely outsidetown with an acre or 2). Not sure the internet connection there will suffice for cable /dish cutting either.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I've thought about mesh, but I question whether it would really fix the problem. Our bedroom was an add-on to the second floor of the house, so the signal not only has to get upstairs, it has to get through an exterior brick wall. I tried a pretty high-quality repeater, and it didn't even help. Most mesh systems are a bit expensive. I don't mind paying for it if it will really fix the problem, but my skepticism was enough to get me to hesitate.

27. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

If the issue is dead spots in your home where you have a weak signal then a mesh wifi system will definitely solve the problem. I have an ASUS setup which works great. We had an issue with poor signal in our childs room for the Nest camera. The mesh system solved it easily. Also, ASUS routers have a great OS that lets you put bandwidth limits on individual users to help stay within your monthly bandwidth limit.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

How does it differ from a repeater? That thing didn't do much. It simply couldn't get through that thick wall.

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

I'm not sure how they differ but I can tell you this. My initial mesh wifi point connected to the hard line coming from the receiver is in our home office which transmits to a point in my kitchen about 50 feet away through house walls. I can pick up a solid wifi connection sitting in my car in my driveway about 50 feet from the kitchen point that gets transmitted through a 8"-12" limestone wall, through my garage, through my closed garage door and into my car. At that point my car is sitting about 100 feet from the original wifi point. I can actually back off my slab and turn around in my driveway before losing that connection.

Whatever it does is pretty dang good for me. And the thing is like with my google mesh is that it comes with 3 points. If you put a point closest to where you need signal to be strongest then put another point upstairs, as long as it gets some kind of reception you will have very strong service upstairs.

• Like Like x 1
  30. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I am not an expert on this topic but I believe they generally accomplish the same thing - extend your wifi signal. The main difference is that a repeater will connect to your wifi system and then broadcast a new wifi signal. So you have to reconnect to the repeater if you intend to use it. A mesh system creates one seamless network that automatically connects you to the optimum access point so no need to reconnect to a different wifi signal.

I am not sure how thick the wall you reference is, but I would expect a decent mesh system to be able to handle it. Assuming you don't live in Fort Knox or an FBI safe house?

• Like Like x 1