ATT U-Verse any good?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Dionysus, May 22, 2012.

1. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything recent.

We have Comcast cable + internet which has been very good for us, but AT&T has a much better deal now on U-Verse, which I have heard before is not great but that might have just been a disgruntled minority.

Any gruntled U-Verse customers out there? Thanks!

2. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

I switched to U-Verse from Comcast a few months ago. I like it a lot better than Comcast, especially the DVR (records up to 4 shows at a time and a bigger HD). I also like how you can view the DVR in any room; plus I got the wireless receivers which eliminates all the extra coaxial cables. I give it a [​IMG]

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The wireless receiver bit is interesting, but I don’t know that I need that except that one of our bedrooms does not have a coaxial cable coming into it. Maybe I will need a wireless there.

Thanks for the the response TNL.

4. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

We had U-verse at our old house. It's not available in the house we built a couple of years ago, so we're stuck with TWC...loved U-verse and will go to it as soon as they expand to our neighborhood.

5. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

I liked the features of U-verse, but the picture quality I got was inferior to Direct TV or Time Warner

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Murph, that’s one thing I heard that the picture quality wasn’t great. Probably some video compression they’re using to minimize bandwidth I guess. Most of my movie viewing these days is on Netflix so maybe that won’t be affected if the internet performance is good. Thanks.

7. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy 100+ Posts

They are great unless you ever have to call to get anything from them. Minimum 1hr on hold no matter what time of day you call. No complaints about the actual technology.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The DVR function wasn’t working after installation. Today I called tech support and the 2nd tier guy walked me through a hard reset to reload the OS, and then we could record. The internet package advertises up to 18 Mbps internet and I get at best 10-12 but it seems to be OK for now. I have a ton of wireless devices on my home network and we eat bandwidth like a tin of Pringles at a campout.

One thing good that Comcast delivered was a fast network.