ATT U-verse?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by TenDeadF1ngerz, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TenDeadF1ngerz

TenDeadF1ngerz 100+ Posts

So when we were forced to switch from Time Warner to comcast, my cable and internet bill went from $75 to $95. I've been looking for a possible alternative, and we just got a flier in the mail yesterday about this AT&T U-verse. They're advertising $74 for U2000 internet plus 190 TV channels. Is this worth it? I'm not sure what all channels this includes, it doesn't really list anything. The internet is the other thing I'm worried about, as it looks like they have packages with 3 different speeds for internet. Anyone know how the U2000 is compared to comcasts? I think comcasts was supposed to be faster than TW's, but I really haven't noticed a difference.

2. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

are you in austin?

I'm in Miami with comcast. I hate the prices, but my internet is very solid, as are the cable and HD channels.

3. TenDeadF1ngerz

No, Houston.

4. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i recently switched.

the internet is a little slower. the TV sitaution is much better though. many more channels for the money. i'm happy so far.

5. TenDeadF1ngerz

Yeah, I use a wireless router, so it might make the internet speed situation that much worse. Do you get ESPNU, NFL Network?

6. TenDeadF1ngerz

Ok, so I called in to get more info., and the lady said that installation could take anywhere from 5-8 hours ?!?!?! [​IMG] I just want the 6 meg internet, the u200 tv option, and the $10 sports option. How would this take more than 5 minutes to set up? Is this a dish they have to set up outside or something? I was under the impression this was just regular cable tv/internet.

7. VinnyVango

VinnyVango 25+ Posts

I have it. (in San Antonio)... I am happy... no major gripes... lots of HD channels.

Have NFLnet and ESPNU ...

It costs less (with wireless internet) than Time Warner plus an independent DSL provider were charging, so I switched.

8. LovinTheAtx

LovinTheAtx 250+ Posts

I have it too. It's not too bad. I do get lots of channels, but it tends to go out a bit more than I would like.

Also, internet is sort of slow and goes out at least a few times a day.

Installation took FOREVER for me. They were here for over 5 hours. Plus, I can never get a hold of anyone when I need to if there is a problem (like TW too though).

Overall, not bad at all for the price.

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I have it and I'm not overwhelmed. The installation took forever and they didn't have the three boxes on our order so the guy couldn't activate the other two boxes. Took me hours on the phone to egt the boxes activated. Finally found some bright guy in Arizona who got it done. The U-verse concept is one that came from Ed Whitacre because he was pissed about something the other guys were doing (I guess just competing with him for phone services). They launched it before they were really ready and they are having growing pains. I'm good friends with their Treasurer (it was his daughter's summer job to put on promo parties) and live next door to their CIO. They still haven't gotten around to switching our phone and they didn't give us the 2 free months of HBO and Showtime. They noticed it themselves and wrote us that they would make it up to us without us asking. The young lady who gave the promo party asked for replies to her e-mail and ATT failed to activate her e-mail. It's been a comedy of errors.

With that being said, the internet is fine. The cable pixelates occasionally and the guide function is VERY slow to respond. It's beyond slow to load future shows on the guide.

It's a fiber optic system that necks down to coaxial at your house.

The channel selection is just like all the others. 15 channels you want, the first 5 out of 10 are in spanish, and the rest are just not worth watching for any particular reason.

You cannot record PPV which is a major bummer.

Oh, and the weather channel is just the generic version. No Local on the 8's. That really sucks big time.

10. AnotherUTFan

AnotherUTFan 25+ Posts

You guys are making me nervous. Signed up a few days ago and installation is scheduled for next Friday (San Diego). They could've installed Monday, but with the home office, I wanted a weekend after install in case of network problems. I'll report back on how it goes.

Did somebody say I will get ESPNU with the U200 Package?

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

All cable and dish providers have their advocates and detractors. Take it all with a grain of salt.

12. NoleHorn

NoleHorn 25+ Posts

Call Comcast and tell them you are going to switch to U-Verse becuase they have more channels and are cheaper.

They lowered my bill by $30 a month when I asked what they could do about it.

13. TenDeadF1ngerz

Well I bit the bullet last night and ordered it. They had a shindig at my apartment complex last night and I got to speak face to face with a rep. I got their U300 package with top of the line internet and ordered the sports package. They are offering the first month free, plus $15 off your monthly payment if you get the U300 package. With comcast I was paying $95 and just had internet and regular old cable tv. Now I'm paying $104, have a crapload of channels, a DVR, and more sports channels for this fall.

One thing I really like is that if you leave your house and forget to set something to record, you can log online somewhere and set your dvr to record.

The only thing I'm worried about now is that they bring their own wireless router to set up. I'll have to hook my 360 up to it, and I already had to port forward my wireless router to get some games I play online through tunnel programs to work correctly. I'm gonna be pissed if the router screws with my connection to XBox Live, cuz Halo 3 is coming out next month [​IMG]

14. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

10 Dead- What part of Houston are you in? I'm in Memorial and praying they have it available here soon.

15. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i'm in rice military FYI

16. TenDeadF1ngerz

I'm in the NW, right at 290 and Jones. It's kind of Jersey Village, but not really.

17. TexasERod

TexasERod 25+ Posts

18. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

They are going to have kinks in the system for a while. I can tell you that pretty much everyone at AT&T has been put on the U-verse project so it's going to get better. I was told to wait a good year.

19. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i can see the improvement in the first 6 weeks.

the HD pic quality is about the only thing i would complain about at this point.

20. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

U-verse to roll-out , Austin, city wide about Nov.

After noting the new work down the street at the ATT boxes, I pulled over and asked the techs about it. They are connecting the fiber here in West-Central, but must wait for the entire project-completion for the service - he said the 'entire city'.... whatever that means.

21. TenDeadF1ngerz

They called to confirm installation this saturday, so I'll post how that goes this weekend.

22. TenDeadF1ngerz

U300 package
    6.0 meg internet
    Sports package
    First month free
    $15 off - All your on demand movie channels are free for a year

So....

Installation took just under 6 hours today. The last hour and a half or so was spent just trying to get my girlfriends PC with a bootleg copy of XP to connect to AT&T's wireless router.

First thing we had to do was locate the Network interface box where the cable and coax come in - but we live in an apartment that doesn't have that box (if you have one, they can run the signal through your cable). So, they had to locate all of our phone jacks (which we don't use) in the apartment and bounce the signal from the main phone jack in a loop through all of the other phone jacks. Then, we had to run a cable from the closest phone jack to the tv in our living room, which happens to be in the kitchen. Needless to say, I'm not real happy that we have a cable running under our cabinets and dangling over the kitchen counter into the living room. Since you can only have one DVR box hooked up in your home, you have to choose one tv to put it on - at first the lady thought we wanted it in our bedroom, and would have had to run a cable all the way around our room. So as of now, the signal comes in, bounces through all the phone jacks and comes to the living room to the main box. Then it goes through cable into the bedroom where it hooks up to the secondary box on the other tv.

Anyways, after deciding on the path, she had to go out to their local switch to send the signal to our apartment, which took 30 minutes or so. She came back and had to bounce the signal, which took about an hour and a half. She then hooked up the DVR and wireless router, and then the box needed for the tv signal in the bedroom which took another hour. Then we registered the system online and configured the settings which took a half hour, followed by another half hour of her showing us how the DVR worked and the tv channels and such. I made sure and checked my connections for XBox live and my Wii before she could go. The Wii acted a little funny at first, but it works fine. She made quite a mess around the apartment with all her stuff, and that took her a while to clean up. Finally we decided to check my girfriends computer to make sure the wireless would work, which it didn't. The lady had to call support and spent a good hour and a half on there figuring things out.

So overall, it was a pain in the *** to install. But, we get all the movie channels free for a year, which my girlfriend is giddy about. I went ahead and cancelled netflix, not gonna be needing that. I've got a crapload of channels, lot's of sports which I get just in time. With the network login and password we set up, you can log in to yahoo and view your tv guide and set it to record while on your computer if your not at home.

The internet seems plenty fast, haven't tested downloads yet but just using the wireless on my computer wokrs great.

23. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I ordered UVerse last Wednesday after my Comcast went out and the earliest they could schedule a repair person was today. The Uverse package deal was enticing and cheaper. Howefver, now my Comcast is back on and working fine.

After reading about these growing pains with UVerse...think I'll call and cancel that until they have time to get it together.

Why did Time Warner bail out?

24. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

25. Viper Daimao

Viper Daimao 100+ Posts

They're having a thing at my apt complex today and I'm thinking about switching. I've really had it with comcast's internet. It's been slow and I have packet loss on certain sites making them unusable, like youtube, gmail, and other sites. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because I was downloading torrents (not excessively though) and they put me on a crappy network like they used to do in the dorms.

What's their router like? Do you have to use it? Any problems connecting to linux? Does it have wpa2 encryption?

also, are there any other fees? does the dvr box and server cost extra on top of the package prices?

26. huge

huge 250+ Posts

the internet has been great, no problems at all

i dont know about linux, but the router does have wireless, so that was a bonus for me

the cable package is much better, but the service has been a little spotty. its getting better, but i still have to reboot my dvr box about once a week.

in all, its a better deal than TW was. thankfully i never experienced comcast.

i am doing the 400 package and its the same cost as comcast, but with about 100 more channels

27. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

I just ordered it. $79 for U200 with HD and internet. HD for the first year free. 3 receivers and one is a DVR. Installation on Sunday Nov 4th.

I really liked Direct TV but I called to upgrade to HD and they said it was a $99 charge yet NEW customers don't pay that. I asked them to waive it. They wouldn't. Bye Direct TV.

28. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts

Question: does ATT offer a bundle of dish + dsl + cellular (land line optional)? I see land line + internet + tv packages, but no mention of cingular service. Currently I do TW + sprint, which is 2 bills at about $200. If I could get a decent ATT bundle with wireless, I'd consider it.

29. Viper Daimao

Viper Daimao 100+ Posts

att non-uverse internet is dsl. dsl needs a phone line to come into your house with. Therefore they make you get their phone service with it or charge extra.

30. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

AT&T Uverse is perhaps the worst piece of **** product I have been suckered into in the last decade. You can't bundle your land line or your cell, the "Weather Channel" will not have your city's weather, you cannot record anything you purchase, there is no PPV for any sports, the "guide" scrolls at the speed of a dead turtle, they NEVER update their programming when times change (Longhorn games, e.g. or a World Series game that isn't scheduled a week ahead), you cannot tell the DVR to record beyond the scheduled programming just in case the game goes over the allotted time like it does almost every ******* game so you miss the end of the game, it takes ten minues for the guide to load tomorrow's programming, if anything like a power glitch happens it will often take 30 minutes to reboot, the pixellation isn't too bad except for the shows you want to watch, the search functions are not organized by category - you have to spell out the show you want to search which is a very tedious process (no categories like sports or comedy), they add and delete channels like crazy...

Other than those few things, it's a piece of ****. With those few things, it's worse than finding half a dead roach in your salad.