Augie Worried?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Arbfarkle, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Arbfarkle

Arbfarkle 250+ Posts

When I moved to Houston (a few years back).
    We had a Short Police Chief, a Small Fire Chief. (and a Mayor called Louie).
    I wonder if Garrido is checking for baseball coaches with names like slick or slugger?

2. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

I believe there's a guy at UCLA that fits your bill.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, and Houston was one helluva lot better off with Herman Short and Louie Welch. I remember being in graduate school and we had a guest lecturer from a major S&P. He told us how the mayor of Houston was coming to address S&P about Houston's bond rating. He said he expected John Wayne type persona, and Louie walked in about half that size and walked out with a AAA rating, which he didn't deserve. According to him, Mayor Louie could sell firewood in hell. Houston's last great mayor - there won't be another like him.

As for Short, who could ever forget his Rusk Street standoff or calling Bernard Wolf and telling him to close his store because his block was about to become a warzone.

4. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Augie ought to be worried about a team BA of .245.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Augie needs to find a way to motivate the team to win.

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Well, I am not sure how concerned he is with a team BA of .245, but I am very confident he is getting more than plenty to eat on the LHN food shows.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  7. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

You're right about the food shows. Augie reaches ecstasy (which is a disturbing thought) every time he takes a bite and spills food on himself. lol

Plus the humpty dumpty stroll out to argue with the ump is further proof. :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  8. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Things are good in baseball land, remember this time last year?

There were questions last year whether we were even going to make the tournament.......

Augie will have them ready when they need to be.....

9. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

Isn't the team RPI approaching 100? Making the tournament right now doesn't look good.

10. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

Uh...no. Not gonna happen this year. Sad to say.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

Augie needs to find a way to get on Food Network. The guy is toast, after all!

• Like Like x 3
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah he does. Too bad the chicken ranch in LaGrange was shut down years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Wish I could be confident the Horns will make a run, but I don't see it happening this year. I think they are out at the conference tourney. Batting is paltry, can't beat teams we should mudhole, it just sad. I had hoped Augie would get them back to the top and get his 2000 wins, then call it a day. I don't see it happening unfortunately.

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This program has a historic and proud college baseball tradition - truly a blue blood among programs.

It is unfortunate that the Horns lost 2 good pitchers before the season was in full swing but that does not answer why the bats have been so anemic or in some cases totally silent. Hitting has cost this team games this season, generally not pitching.

I don't think the Horns rally and good fortune from last year translates to the same thing this year. Hell, they struggled to take 2 of 3 from one of the worst teams in the B12. Even if the Horns finish out of the B12 hunt & CWS, Augie is not going anywhere after this season IMO. He will keep hosting LHN network Austin restaurant eating programs while getting paid a king's ransom.

In the meantime, I am hopeful that his eventual exit / retirement from the program is not a slow downward death spiral for the team / program like Mack and Rick, but it might be.

We will see.

15. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I hope he gets things back on track. I'd like it if he goes when he decides it's time to retire and gets a nice send off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Augie makes $1.04 million. Mack made $5.3 million his last year. Charlie Strong makes $5 million. Rick Barnes made $2.6 million. Shaka Smart will make $3 million a year with the first full 6 years GUARANTEED (no buyout).

So basically Augie has more national titles at Texas than Mack, Charlie, Rick and Smart have combined as head coaches in their careers and we are complaining that he makes too much when he makes less than half what Barnes made, a third of what Smart makes and a fifth of what Brown made and a fifth of what Charlie makes.

I would not care what anyone made, but I am tired of the double standard with Barnes, Brown and now Augie's salaries being an issue but everyone is cool with paying Charlie nearly as much as Brown and Smart more than Barnes before either have won anything. Im optimistic with Smart, do not get me wrong, but the dude has not yet coached a game and he is the highest paid basketball coach in school history. No one takes issue with that, but two time national champion Augie coming off a third place finish in the CWS making $1 million a year is apparently problem.

All coaches are overpaid. If you really have a problem with it, be consistent. By the way, based on Patterson's negotiating skills (or lack thereof) I am sure we will pay whoever replaces Augie even more than Augie makes now or at least the same before he has coached a single game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^This!

18. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I don't disagree with some of the points made above on Strong, Smart, and Augie. I mean really, most are claiming an 8-win season for Strong in his second try will be a success. When did we sink to accepting those mediocre results in football? Hell, I bet Mack could've produced an 8-win season in either 2014 or 2015. He was fired coming off of one and had a large core returning from that team last year.

I can't even imagine if Smart produces two lackluster <20 wins seasons to start off his time here. Wouldn't be long until fans started calling him "havoc". Lot of rope being given these days in the football program. Tons of excuses made for an inability to find a QB anyone is confident in being able to beat a good defense.

What would the reaction have been if Saban or Harbaugh would've taken over with intense fan excitement, only to put out 6 wins and 8 wins back to back? 12 losses in 2 years under those guys? Come on. Just saying for some reason we decided it's okay to judge our football choice with the leniency of second-tier expectations. At the same time, Augie is already crucified a year removed from a deep CWS run.

I'm not one saying there aren't fatal flaws in the baseball program that demand change. My point is it's a double standard to judge Augie under CWS standards and then let Strong slide by with a barely winning record next year. What happens if 9 wins is as far as we get after 3 years in football? Are people going to have the stones to rightfully demand a coaching change? So yeah, the points made above about being consistent in judging the fate of these coaches are very valid.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  19. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Patterson's negotiation skills, bingo, way overpaid for Strong and Smart!!!!!

20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I'm sorry, I appreciate your posts (I really do) so this isn't soley directed at you, but I've heard this "MB would've/could've" unsubstantial allegation from too many posters here and elsewhere.

So what would two more 8-win seasons have gotten us? Not a conference championship; probably not a BsCS bowl game; definitely not a CFP berth. It took MB 7 years to win a conference championship and appear in a BsCS bowl game. From 1998-2003 we went 59/18, averaging 9.8 wins per season.

MB came into a program in need of rebuilding and most would agree that he did a very good job. However, see the above.

Last season, especially the end, was offensively offensive - it was painful to watch. But Strong is in the same situation of having to rebuild the program. If we win 7-8 game this year and 9-10 the next, it won't meet my standard for Texas (which is always to win the NC), but I'll still understand the process and be pleased with the progress. If, come 2017, we don't win the CC, then I may be calling for his loveable little bald head on a pike.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  21. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It also took him 13 years to produce a losing, 7 loss season. ​

22. TXLonghorndad

TXLonghorndad 100+ Posts

The worst thing Augie could hear right now is a vote of confidence from Steve Patterson.

Will the new University President and Patterson receive enough pressure from the big wigs to push Augie out?

23. Kw Horn77

Kw Horn77 < 25 Posts

I believe it's time for Augie to go. We need someone that can get the team motivated. He's run it of gas.

24. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Last hurrah year in 2016, next year, when his contract runs out? That finish last year was magical. I was so pumped to start this year due to it and now am empty. There is still an outside chance they can win the tourney but it is slim.

It would be nice to send Augie out in style and not kick him to the curb. Hopefully Patterson handles the Augie situation with more style, respect, etc.

25. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

Patterson is focused on the dollars. He knows that a new energetic coach will bring more revenue faster. The question is how the buyout cost compares to loss in ticket sales. Baseball ticket prices cannot bear as much as football nor basketball. That is what will save AG.

26. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

He has two years left on his contract, was given a two year extension, after last season. Old contract would have been up after this season.

27. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Last summer, Evil StevieP gave both Barnes and Garrido contract extensions:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...xtensions-texas-longhorns-basketball-baseball

It didn't help Barnes stick around for more than the next year. With this AD thing we have now, will it matter for Augie?

28. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It should be noted that ticket sales/attendance were down in football and continue to be down since hiring Strong. It is unkown how basketball will play out. That should be considered with baseball.

A new coach does not automatically equal higher ticket revenue or attendance.

29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Football season ticket renewal numbers stolen from another board:

1998: 38,100
    1999: 48,400
    2000: 53,600
    2001: 54,100
    2002: 62,500
    2003: 66,600
    2004: 66,400
    2005: 66,400
    2006: 74,400
    2007: 69,700
    2008: 83,000
    2009: 83,900
    2010: 84,500
    2011: 81,600
    2012: 78,800
    2013: 76,300
    2014: 57,000

They are currently down for 2015.

Look at where Brown started. A new coach will mean less ticket sales until the new coach wins. Basically, if Patterson makes the switch, he has to find a winner.

Baseball should be the easiest sport to find a winner, but that's just my humble opinion. That being said.... I do not know how much I trust Patterson with anything.

I am still for one more year with Augie. It will be up to him next year to prove he is worthy of the last year on his contract.

• Like Like x 1
  30. shaggy refuge

shaggy refuge 500+ Posts

To hell with Augie! I'm sick of his lounging in the dugout like its Joe's bar!