Austin Apt. on student budget

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Majorstheman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Majorstheman

Majorstheman < 25 Posts

Does anyone know of any decent apartments (as in no rust coming out of faucets or rampant bugs) around campus that are under $700? West Campus would be ideal. Nothing on RIVERSIDE! If so, please feel free to post. Need suggestions for a co-worker's daughter who is moving down this month.

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Are you talking efficiency, one bedroom or does she have a roomie to share costs?

3. Majorstheman

Majorstheman < 25 Posts

Just her. No outside help. She will be working 35 hours though. Roughly, after taxes around 850 every 2 weeks

4. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Man, that is cutting it close, even after taxes. I think she should consider renting a room.

I used to live at Los arcos, 43rd and ave a. Kind of bohemian, extremely thin walls, and obviously not new, saw tehm for 680.00, which isn't bad.

Consider an apt finder or better yet, craigslist. I see ads for people with a west campus apt (say three girls with an extra room) etc all the time. That's her best bet.

5. 6th&Congress

6th&Congress 25+ Posts

Check out the apartments that are near the old rooster andrews on 38 1/2th street between Guadulupe and Ave. B. It might be called the Andrews apartments?? They are on the south side of 38 and 1/2th. I remember the rent being really cheap not that long ago. (~ 2 years ago). It was something in the ball park of $500-$650, I believe cable was included as well. They are really quiet apartments and have tenants who have lived there for years, so not much roll over in the rent roll. It's def. worth checking out, not to mention it's in a great area. The tenant is on bus routes to campus, central market is a short walk as well.

6. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

West campus is NOT a plus, and you won't find anything there for under 700 these days.

I'd look to Red River or Enfield. They both have shuttles to campus that are relatively quick. Or North Campus, no shuttles, but walking distance and MUCH quieter.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I helped a friend move to the North Loop/Burnet area just West of Lamar. It is an efficiency and 550 a month. What is good about it is that it is two blocks from two buses, one being the 3. That goes to within two blocks of campus. The other is the 5, I think, that also goes to campus and down the Drag.

It is a condo type situaton and most that live there own. It is quiet and seemed pretty safe with assigned parking. There was a medium sized pool. I don't know if any others are for rent but if this is something they may be interested in I can get the contact info of the leasing agents.

8. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Dude, 550 a month is a killer deal for that area.

9. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I agree but it is pretty tiny. And when I say tiny, I mean tiny. Some people are not into that. But for that price and to be able to live alone in that part of town I would think it should appeal to everybody. He jumped on that unit without pause.