Austin driving ranges

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Benson32, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Punt on 1st Down

Punt on 1st Down 100+ Posts

2. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I see it now. You do like to talk golf. [​IMG]

3. Punt on 1st Down

Yes, I do like to talk golf. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Other than literature, philosophy, religion, and politics, it's something I've spent a lot of time with.

Edit: Although, I ought to reorder that list to say politics, religion, literature, and philosophy. Golf would probably be 3rd on that list in order of things I currently know about.

4. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

5. Punt on 1st Down

Well, I like talking about golf, so what the hell, I'm going to post here again.

6. wedgie

wedgie 100+ Posts

I call it "Ready Golf". Don't so much worry about turn. If you are ready to hit when no one else is go ahead and hit. If you are already on the green and standing next to someone in the fairway making their approach shot, once they hit start walking i.e. don't just stand there watching their approach shot.

Ready golf is even better around the green. If some one is hitting out of a greenside bunker go ahead and line up your putt while they hit (assuming you are not in their way). Then while they rake the bunker go ahead and putt.

Same on the tee box, if your buddy just birdied the last hole and is not ready to tee off yet, go ahead if you are ready.

It is not that you are in a rush just playing efficient. Over the course of 18 holes these steps will save you time as well as appreciated by the group behind you

I use to play in a group that many times got the first tee time of the weekend days at Clay, Kizer and Muni. We would tee off about 6:30 in the morning and finish around 10:00 or 10:15. That way you had 18 under your belt and the whole day ahead of you.

7. Vicerous

Vicerous 100+ Posts

Between my usual playing partner and I, I swear we could get a nice round in under 2 hours. Now I don't mind playing a round in 4 hours if I have to, but what I can absolutely not stand is poor etiquette and just not letting quicker players through. An interesting thing happened a few weeks ago when we played Plum Creek.
    We tee off at around 4:30, all is going fine and in good pace until we get to around the 3rd box. We find the twosome that started 15 minutes before us waiting in the fairway while a member of the foursome in front of them is looking for his ball across a fence
    , a good 20 yards off the green. I don't mind you searching some brush or deep rough for a few minutes but cmon...

We play the hole and find that the foursome let the twosome in front of us play through the next par 3, 4th. Both groups hit approaches and are on the green. We play the 4th really quickly and catch the foursome on the 5th teebox. Here again, the same guy is 20 yards into thick woods and brush, along with two other guys for a several minutes while we wait on the teebox. Only then do the other guys hit their shots. We wait until they are well out of range, hit our drives in the fairway and drive on up. These guys are on the green, looking as if they are putting for the ******* Masters. We decide to make our approach and putts as quick as possible to catch them on the 6th box, thinking that we'd get to play through. We hit our approaches, I chip in with a 7 iron from the green side rough so I was happy [​IMG]

We drive up to the 6th teebox to catch them about to tee off. We wave kindly, they look at us, shurg, then hit. We're in disbelief, there isn't a group to be seen in front of them and we'd been on their asses since the 3rd hole. Having had enough of this, we decide to just skip the hole and play past them, funny enough we see another guy looking for his ball OB again...

We play the really short next holes, and as we're driving off to the 9th hole, they skip the hole and confront us, cussing up a storm and threatening to have us removed from the course. We laugh it off, hit our drives on 9 and finish the round. Actually shot a career best 80 so that was a high point of the day despite the bs.

8. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Crossing a fence to find a ball at plum creek is just begging to become snake food.

9. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Back to the original topic; Oak Hill is a bit far for an afternoon drive, is there a range at that Penick course on 183?

10. Vicerous

Vicerous 100+ Posts

11. teo

teo First Time Poster

I'm not a fan of prancing around with illusions of grandeur, feeling like the proletariat can't possibly relate when they have only played a measly 300 rounds.

Practice your entire game! When something seems to be trailing, spend more time on it. Am i missing something?