Austin locales for a private poker game

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by puckhead, Jan 17, 2013.

1. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

I'm ignorant. Is it legal to play poker in a public establishment in Austin?

I don't want to join a tournament or join someone else's game. Just me and my buddies want to play a nickel-dime-quarter game without anyone having to host.

I've seen a reference to a "poker room" at some places I've never heard of. If there is a real small fee to play in a private room, we'd do it. We're just looking to drink beer and shoot the breeze. Poker is just the entertainment.

Any suggestions?

2. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If there is a fee, for any reason, that makes it illegal. An establishment is not allowed to charge for a chair, chips or the game. They may not take a rake. Some bars have free tourneys with free prizes to the winner. They will offer cheap food and drink specials and usually have on what is a slow night, usually. This is how establishments do it.

If you are friendly with a place and they know you, they may allow you and your buddies to play. But you will need to promise them all would be eating and drinking enough to make a dent.

Any place offering security and such still cannot legally make any money. You can do so in your home as long as you don't make money outside of playing poker with evenly applied rules to all with no benefit to the house (rake, marked cards, etc)

I am sorry but I don't know of such a place. I suggest hosting in your house and control the people who know about it for security reasons, just in case.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts