Austin suggestions

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by mlchorn, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mlchorn

mlchorn 25+ Posts

I haven't had the pleasure of coming to Austin in years.
    Coming this weekend for Mizzou game and staying at the Doubletree downtown.
    I'm too old for the 6th street scene.
    Any recommendations on laid back bars or good places to eat close by? Don't want to have to drive.
    Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Smurfette

Smurfette 500+ Posts

You'll be really close to the Tavern and Shoal Creek Saloon. That's also pretty close to Dog and Duck.

3. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Yes, stay away from 6th Street. I hear some have this crazy habit of walking up to strangers there and punching them in the face for no reason.

4. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

Go down to West 6th. Near the Lamar area. Or go to the 4th street warehouse district

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

If you like Jazz I suggest the Elephant Room on Congress and I think 4th Street. It's in the middle of the block and on the East side of the street. It's in the basement of the building and a really great Jazz venue.

Check the Austin Chronicle's website: The Link for all that's going on that week. It covers it all ranging from art to movies.

If you are coming in with your wife or girlfriend I suggest Chez Nous for a bite to eat. It's fun, cozy and good food. It is just off 6th Street but you would be finished with your meal in time to walk along 6th to check things out before it gets unsavory. You will get the idea and feel of Sixth but not have to deal with it.

I think the Chronicle will give you more than enough of what you are looking for. Heck, they even have alternative lifestyle classifieds if you are into that, whatever that is!

6. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

limiting it to what's in walking distance...

FOOD
    texas chili parlor
    clay pit
    sagra
    nuevo leon

DRINK
    scholz's
    dog & duck
    gabriels (at at&t center on campus - good burgers)

7. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

This thread has me waxing nostalgic.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Speaking of Brazilian, try Estancia Churrascuria, a Brazilian steakhouse. They are local, unlike Fogo. You will need a car, however.

9. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

mlc, the Cloak Room is literally a 2 block walk from Doubletree. It's next door to the Capital. Great underground spot for a pre game pint or a nightcap.

10. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I always enjoyed Opal Divine's whenever I made it down that way. great place to kick back and sample a wide variety of scotches

11. mlchorn

mlchorn 25+ Posts

This has been great help.
    I can't thank y'all enough.
    [​IMG]