Austin to Wolf Creek

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by LonghornNation11, Dec 23, 2010.

1. LonghornNation11

LonghornNation11 25+ Posts

Has anyone made the drive to Wolf Creek? I am looking to go in Feb or Mar to snowboard. Any tips or recommendations about the drive or accommodations in the area would be helpful. Thanks.

2. idahohorn

idahohorn 250+ Posts

Drove it from Dallas. Went through Santa Fe up through Chama to Pagosa Springs. Lots of condos to rent in Pagosa, and great hot springs there. Not really any lodging at Wolf Creek itself, have to make the drive up the pass each day, but man what great snow!

3. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

Yeah, Wolf Creek is nice. Not overly crowded and as much natural snow as anyone. Drive isn't bad. Really scenic once you get to New Mexico. We drove to Beaver Creek from Austin one spring break. I prefer Southwest Colorado than the resorts closer to Denver.

4. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

i drove through new mexico once...lets just say keep your windows rolled up, the whole state smells like a pig farm

5. 4th

4th 250+ Posts

I've gone there in the summer by going through Santa Rosa, Las Vegas, and Taos to South Fork. If you plan to stay in Pagosa Springs, then Santa Fe through Chama may be more desirable than going over the pass (but hey, you have to do it everyday to get to the mountain anyway right). I don't know much about driving in the area in the winter though, as I have never found a reason to continue driving to Wolf Creek once reaching Taos or Santa Fe.

6. vzhorn

vzhorn 25+ Posts

I made the Austin to Taos drive years ago in winter. Hit snow and black ice right out of Clovis. A 4 hour drive took 9 hours. I've also done the Dallas to either Durango/Gunnison/Lake City a few times. Stopped at Amarillo and stayed at the Big Texan or in Tucumcari or Raton. All have good hotels/motels and eats. Santa Fe is worth the trip in itself. Favorite was Pagosa Springs. Drive from Santa Fe to Pagosa might be hairy in winter but its the most direct way and VERY nice country.