Austin's Newest Lounge: Pangaea

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Mr.Wizard, Oct 7, 2007.

1. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I'm glad these places exist. It ensures the douchebags stay away from the places where I like to go.

It's simply a matter of reverse diffusion-- as the concentration of douchebags increases in just a few new "hotspots" it decreases everywhere else, and that is a wonderful thing.

2. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

3. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

Wow, all this is happening less than 10 miles from Callahan's General Store and less than 3 miles from Jim and Dee's.

4. Chris Chris

Chris Chris < 25 Posts

Hey guys! I just wanted to pop over and put in my $.02 about this place! I think some of you guys are being way too harsh! Pangaea looks like a really awesome place to take Fortune 500 chicks and do some awesome networking! I might have to take a trip down to the ATX when it opens! I'll probably be able to expense it, you know, because my company is so successful and all! Alright, dudes, I'll see you guys later!

5. 4thGeneration

4thGeneration 25+ Posts

^
    ^
    That was funny! [​IMG]

6. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

So I went by on Sat night and I must say, the place is pretty ******* pimp. The velvet rope and gaggle of "security" is pretty gd stupid, but that was the only downside, imo. Tons of you will ***** about the shiny shirt/$200 jeans crowd, but you aren't the type that like clubs like this anyway. It was the funnest night life experience I have seen in Austin in a long time. The DJ was awesome and everyone was dancing and having a great time.

That said, I don't have a clue how that environment can be replicated week in, week out. Everyone seemed to be excited about the new place and enjoying it, but how long before it just becomes Foundation and that high energy and excitement is forced and not natural?

They are also going to have to cut back severely on overhead. Shitload of dancing girls (rumor I heard was that they are Russian mail order chicks) and security at the door. Maybe 8 guys at the door when 1 or 2 would do. Funny thing about the velvet rope and line outside...the club is pretty damn big inside, and it was full. I rolled up at 11:45/12 or so and was able to get in w/i a minute or two. So how freakin exclusive is it?

Lots of good bar staff from some of the more successful bars in town as well.

All in all, a pretty cool club that could stand to tone down it's ego.

7. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

We were pretty dressed up for a friend's birthday party saturday night (jacket & sub-$200 jeans), and one of my boys works there, so we decided to try it out. Once we rolled up to the door (no sign - ooooo ultra-exclusive!), saw the velvet rope, security frowning at guestlists, and the dbags standing in line IN FULL SUITS, we decided to take our money elsewhere. A jacket I can deal with, but suits? I wanted to go Billy Walsh on their asses!

8. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

Hmm...I was wearing a polo type shirt, my bud a tshirt and our chicks had casual dresses on. Nothing big time in the slightest.

9. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Any place described as "pimp" I avoid.

10. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Saw this featured on local news last night. That Ault guy was holding a little white dog and stroking him during the interview.

11. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

sorry excuse for a place. I could see some place like this being in Dallas or Houston. Just a place to generally avoid in my book. I want some place I can sip a Shiner in my jeans and boots, or flip flops....

12. Me So Horny

Me So Horny 100+ Posts

13. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

Pangaea claims its first victim:

"KXAN news anchor Michelle Valles was arrested early today on a charge of driving while intoxicated, authorities said.

Austin police stopped Valles around 2 a.m. at 1500 W. Cesar Chavez St. near MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1), said Travis County Sheriff’s spokesman Roger Wade.

She was seen last night at the press preview of the new high-end bar Pangaea after the 10 p.m. broadcast. Pangaea, which is on Colorado Street at the former Alamo Downtown location, opens tonight to the public."
    The Link

14. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

woops

15. unpaintedhuffhines

it was packed, loud and absolutely full of hot chicks. I didn't see shiny shirts or frosted tips.

it's clearly not a place for everyone, but that does not mean it's a bad bar. I didn't have to wait in line like the proletariat so maybe my perspective is a little skewed, however the place was pretty amazing.

I will say that I honestly am not sure if this type of place will continue after the hype, but I had a good time.

let me repeat that this place had the hottest collection of women I've seen in a long while

16. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

17. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

18. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

ho. lee. sheet. picture 14 is nice. outside of that, eh.

19. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

There were a whole lot more scary looking people than good looking people in those pics if you ask me.

20. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Meh.

From those pics, looks like about 3 pretty hot chicks, about 12-15 decent looking coke-whores, a bunch of older or unattractive fatties, and an assload of douchebags.

21. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

**douchebaggery alert** **douchebaggery alert**

Having been in LA and Las Vegas the last 2 weekends I'm really not all that psyched about the new "hot club" in Austin.

22. unpaintedhuffhines

man, that slideshow did zero justice for the *** that was there. Keep in mind that every one of those pics were taken outside the club, and not the actual people inside.

agreed that there was plenty of douchebaggery going on in those pics. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the dudes and didn't really notice.

the chick on the right in pic 3 went to high school with me. She didn't have those tits then I assure you.

23. HornZealot

HornZealot 25+ Posts

after going through that slideshow I am now officially bored with fake tits. Looks like a lot of them must have driven down from uptown for the opening

24. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

that thing in 31 is about as stomach turning as 'tree man'

25. Traffic

Traffic 500+ Posts

I think I see an (infrequent) Hornfans poster in picture #34.

26. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

^^^ Yeah, I thought so too.

I did lol at a well known coke ***** rubbing her nose.

27. unpaintedhuffhines

28. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

a) That most certainly IS him.
    b) coke whores do the darndest things.

29. unpaintedhuffhines

1. eh, don't think so. Different nose. Actually, I'm 100% positive it's not him

2. yes, they do

30. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

Ok so I finally went last night. The first thing I will say is that everyone REALLY needs to calm down. The people in my group wore anything from slacks and a jacket to jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt and it was no big deal. The club overall is very upscale and modern on the inside but in a much more classy manner than Qua. Its subtly classy where Qua is ostentatious. Drinks ARE expensive but I think they are about the same or maybe $0.50 more than say Gruv, Prague, or The Marq. Further, a bottle of Goose (we didn't get one) goes for $275 which seems about normal for Austin as opposed to $375-$450 in LA and $400-$525 in Vegas. Other than one rhythmless gogo dancer, I had a good time and by midnight there were quite a few hot girls in the place when every other spot in downtown was dead-ish

Unpainted - we're talking about Reyfes, arent we? I'm willing to bet you a round of shots thats him.