Austin's Newest Lounge: Pangaea

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Mr.Wizard, Oct 7, 2007.

1. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

2. mynametaken

mynametaken 100+ Posts

3. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

here we go again [​IMG]

4. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Interesting. I think there are some potential circumstances where this would be acceptable.

For example, when I go to restaurants on a busy night, there's often a wait. I usually go to the bar and grab two drinks, pay by CC, and close it out. I do this with the expectation that my table will be ready by the time I'm ready to order the next round, and I don't want to burden my server with having to swing by the bar and close out my tab for me.

Another time I might see this as acceptable is when there are two or more people in a group, and each person is buying rounds. I'll buy a round on my card and close it immediately, knowing the next guy will be buying a round later. I'm not going to leave my tab open, because I might not ever get a turn to buy another round, and I don't want to hassle with hunting down the bartender and closing it at the end of the night.

What I find very odd, though, is bar owners and bartenders who seem upset that somebody would do this, even if they intended to buy two more drinks later. Sure it's inefficient, and I can't think of any reason I'd ever do it outside of the circumstances I mentioned above or something similar-- but the bottom line is that your business and your livelihood depend on the customer's money. Customer service is your job, even if some customers don't make it as convenient as others.

5. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

6. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

7. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

As a bartender, you aren't really inconveniencing me so much as you are holding **** up. If you are the next guy waiting to get served and someone is closing his 3rd credit card receipt of the night, you're the one inconvenienced. Like I said before - one round and close the card is no biggie, but if you are going to come back a couple more times, just leave it open - it's easier on everyone.

I love how you dismiss everyone else's choices just to make your solution work. Do what you do, I don't really care, but there's no question life is easier w/ cash. And for the record, I don't use cash because of chicks, I use it because it's easier to manage my money. I take out X amount and spend X amount. If I take a CC or DC out, I start spending like a fool.

8. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Are you responding to me? If so, you clearly don't understand. I'm not the one who is dismissing ANYONE's choices-- be it cash or credit card. I am offering an alternative point of view for people who seem to be bizarrely close-minded.

I've already said that I always carry cash, and that unless there were specific circumstances (like ordering drinks at the bar while waiting for a table at a restaurant), I wouldn't close a tab with only one round on it. If I intend to stay at a place long enough to order multiple rounds, then I'm leaving the card open.

Those who are saying that you're a "douchebag" for using a CC are the ones who are quite obviously "dismissing others' choices." All I've said is that I don't understand the intolerance some are showing. Quite frankly, it's just really, really weird to react so vehemently to something that is, at most, a minor inconvenience.

9. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Holy crap, I had no idea that this was such a key issue for some of you.

Have we clarified where Guiliani, Huckabee, Clinton, and Obama stand on single-round credit card payments? I think this may be one of deciding factors in the '08 election.

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

this really has gotten ridiculous

11. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Everything on Hornfans gets completely ridiculous. [​IMG]

12. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

When I go out to clubs I pay for everything in Sacagawea dollars.

13. rayfes

rayfes 25+ Posts

Maybe it's because I am a UT EE as well but I carry cash and use it when a bar is crowded to save time (mine and yours).

Nothing worse than waiting at a bar to get a beer behind someone who orders a complicated mixed drink only to then pay and close out with a credit card when I just want a beer and have cash. My transaction takes 8 seconds versus 90 at best for the person in front of me.

Cash-only beer tubs are my best friend. When that isn't available there should be a cash-only beer-only service spot at the bar. Heck I'd be in heaven if there was a draft beer faucet at my table that measured how much I poured and just charged me once or let me pre-pay for a set amount. TABC (the real douchebags) will never let my dream come true though. Sigh.

14. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

15. rayfes

rayfes 25+ Posts

I have a BS in Electrical Engineering from my time at UT '92 to '96, if it were elementary education I probably wouldn't have cash to waste at bars. [​IMG]

16. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

17. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Cash man here.

Bottle service I am not.

18. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

19. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

According to TV commercials, Debit or Credit cards is the way to keep the world flowing at an efficient pace, while cash dramatically slows things down. Cash is apparently only used by people who play tennis with sweaters around their necks, and not New Orleans saints fans.

But this is old news.

20. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

Since my main source of income is the sale of narcotics, washing my money in bars and restaurants is really becoming my only option for getting rid of my money.

Can't get a plane ticket, make a mortgage payment or stay in a hotel (the nice ones) any more without drawing undue attention to yourself

But is does keep the coke whores' attention..