Awesome scenery..........

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by LousianaHorn, Dec 24, 2019.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

been on this trail before back when I was younger............it would kill me now! Lost Mine Trail at Big Bend.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Never been to Big Bend. It’s on my bucket list!

3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Me too AC but Lahorn’s comments have me worried.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You DO have to go to Big Bend at least once. But... You don't have to hike the trails that may be too much for your age/physical abilities.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Santa Elena canyon, Big Bend.............everyone in Texas should see this magnificent beauty in SW Texas before they die...........plus there is Ft. Davis (home of the Buffalo Soldiers), Mt Locke (UT McDonald Observatory), El Capitan and Guadalupe National Park, Carlsbad caverns and if you time it just right Pecos for the Cantaloupes!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

We’re shopping for RV’s in the new year. May hit big bend in 2021 or 2022. Hopefully next year. We’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

[​IMG]

Milky Way rising above the Mule Ears..........this photo was taken (not by me) in April of this year. And yes the Milky Way is INCREDIBLE in Big Bend Country as you are so far away from any light pollution.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

another view from the Lost Mine trail at Big Bend...........AWESOME!

[​IMG]

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I love the Big Bend. I did the Santa Elena canyon raft trip, and the "window" hike in the Chisos Basin, where there are actually (smallish) pine trees! There are so many tarantulas and giant centipede creatures on the roads. Fortunately, there are buzzards and vultures to eat all the roadkill. Don't get injured out there and always have lots of water on you. You're on your own.

Terlingua and Study Butte are also real neat. There's an establishment located in a cave, and also a restaurant/bar that has a beans buffet on occasion. Folks are exceptionally friendly. You are off the grid and without cell phone service. There's real hippies, naturalists, anti-gov't folks, dropouts from society, working cowboys, and other unique individuals out there.

Then there is Lajitas ("La Hideous" to the locals). A billionaire bought the town and built a fake Western movie type village with a small hotel, a saloon, a private plane airport, and a golf course. It looks totally out of place, but you should see it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Big Bend scenery sure beats this other West Texas scenery:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1