AWESOME Tower Pic by 'Lam' Jones for cancer care

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texas Taps, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

I like this one

[​IMG]

2. Tremendous pictures. The story about how they were taken stirs me. That he went down late at night and had a tough time taking them. Then he realizes they did not come out to his liking due to the shakes, goes back even later and gets a couple to come out. A legend does it again. Great photos by themselves but with the story, the man attached to them, magnificent.

3. thanner

thanner < 25 Posts

One of the greatest athletic feats I ever witnessed was Johnny blistering the world record in the 100 meters. Unfortunately, we had some technical issues and the record wasn't certified. Yet, I was there and everyone who witnessed it knows he broke the record. He beat Curtis Dickey, who was one of the greatest sprinters in the world, by ten meters. It was breathtaking. I also got to watch him routinely bring his Lampasas Badger mile relay team from back in the pack to the victory on the final leg, week after week.

God Bless Lam and I hope everyone adds a piece of his photography to their home or office.

4. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

I got one, it truely is one of the best amatuer photos I have ever seen of the tower. Plus it is signed by him, matted, and framed.

He personally delivered it, and then he sat in my office and chatted for a half an hour or more. His medication is $2800 a month out of pocket.

If you do buy one, pay the extra $50 and get the 16x20, it is worth the money.

5. HotLinkHorn

HotLinkHorn First Time Poster

My wife is heavily involved in the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. She's offered to check into doing a special fund-raiser for Johnny Lam)

In the meantime, I'm gonna buy one of these. He's truly a deserving guy.

6. BooDog

BooDog 100+ Posts

I just bought mine. Fantastic picture and fantastic story.

Believe it or not, reading this thread reminded me of a saying about UT that I was fond of when I was in school (I believe it was on the bathroom wall at Nasty's). It went:

"I love this f------ University, and it loves f------ me."

Well, it's moments like these where I just love my f------ University. Period.

7. Dead Horse made me aware of all this and I got the priveledge to speak with the man on the phone. So humble and worthy of all the respect I always have had for him. I could not bring myself to call him by his first name. It had to be Mr. Jones. I will work on that for the next time we speak, Mr. Jones. But no promises! [​IMG]

8. 40Acres&aHorn

40Acres&aHorn < 25 Posts

here is a clip of the 1978 Cotton Bowl with a player intro of Lam Jones along with discussion of his track backgroud as he awaits the opening kickoff. (wait about 10 seconds to load)

The Link

9. hrd82

hrd82 < 25 Posts

I received my framed photograph he took of the Tower a few days ago. It is very nicely done and what a great cause !

10. texfight2003

texfight2003 25+ Posts

I've had Lymphoma. I now have the picture. I feel good.

11. E-1 Jock 97

E-1 Jock 97 < 25 Posts

These will make excellent gifts for my family and friends that are Texas-Exes. Please keep us aware of any fundraising acitivities that will go towards assisting Lam's medical expenses.

Hook'em, Johnny [​IMG]

12. tsquar

tsquar 250+ Posts

Bought two portrait styles for graduation presents. They are really nice. As a cancer survivor, I really am praying and wishing the best for Lam.

13. 314

314 250+ Posts

The link gives me an error.

14. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

The co-op must have changed something. It should work now. Sorry about that.

15. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I had the privelidge (sp?) of meeting Mr. Jones yesterday at the WWHS fundraising golf tournament. He's up and around, and looked very strong. He told me to call him Johnny, but I couldn't do ti either [​IMG]. I may have to hit up the Co-op for one of these ... thanks for the info LHG.

16. You know what I mean then, Capn. I just could not do it.

17. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Great photos taken by a legend!

[​IMG]

18. EyesOTex

EyesOTex 25+ Posts

i know i am brain dead, but i only see one size. did they sell out of 16 x 20? or is there somewhere else I should go? thanks for help [​IMG]

19. JMB

JMB < 25 Posts

The Coop did not run out of the 16x20 size but you can only buy this larger size at the store. The Coop stopped selling this size for delivery by mail b/c a number of the larger size pictures were damaged during shipping. They have not had the same problem with the smaller size. Thus, the Coop removed the 16x20 from the internet/mail order site but they still have them for sale at the store. A possible alternative is that you might be able to buy one directly from Lam in the Austin area. He is a great guy and pleasure to meet. If you want, I probably could get you in touch with him. Send me a pm if you are interested.

20. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

I bought mine today. Great pic, and nicely framed and matted.
    Good luck to you, Johnny. Hope my little contribution helps.

21. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I would also like one of the 16 x 20's, but rarely get down on the drag these days. If anyone knows where else I could pick one up I would appreciate it.

Any up to date info regarding how Mr. Jones is doing now? I was on campus when he played and have some fond memories from those days.

[​IMG]

22. lamjones26

lamjones26 < 25 Posts

Thanks Mrs. Agnor for the post about the UT Tower Photo's availible at the UT co-op. Sorry I didn't make it by the Horn Fans tailgate party before the Ohio State game. Last week was a little rough, I made it to the game but I had to leave well before halftime. I'm looking forward to the next home game because my first stop is going to be the Horn Fans tailgate party! The end of October marks one year since I got out of the hospitol. Thanks to the Longhorn Family's prayers, and support I'm doing a lot better. Thanks for all the help on the tower photo's. If anyone is interested in a UT National Championship Tower Photo, any size, please give me a call at 512-653-8175. Thanks again!
    Your Longhorn,
    Johnny Lam Jones [​IMG]

23. Third Coast

Just got my 16x20 from Mr. Jones a couple of days ago and it hangs on the wall under my Longhorns. Awesome picture with a quality frame and it's signed by a great Longhorn!

Good luck Lam, we love ya man! [​IMG]

24. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Any updates on Lam? Get Well Soon ... [​IMG]

25. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

is it still sold at the co-op?

26. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Since 100% of the proceeds go to charity, is this 80% tax deductible?

27. JMB

JMB < 25 Posts

Not certain but it was still available at the CooP a few months ago. It is not tax deductible b/c it benefits a specific person. However, the picture is easily worth the price even w/o a tax deduction. The picture is a very good deal by itself but you have the added benefit of it helping a very good man who happens to be a Longhorn Legend. If you live in the Austin area, you might be able to buy it from him. Let me know if you are interested and I can try to get you in touch with him.

28. Third Coast

A nice article on Lam in the AAS:

Lam's fastest race

Good to see he's doing better.

[​IMG]

By the way, I have one of the large framed pictures in my entry way at home, so it is the first thing one sees when they come in the door. It has become one of my most prized possessions.

29. Durkee

Durkee 500+ Posts

I met Lam the other night and he couldn't have been more nice. We were just talking football, and when he told me who he was I almost fell out of my chair!!! The pictures are absolutely fantastic, and the fact that you can help out this Longhorn Legend makes them all that more incredible!!

Get one--you won't be disappointed, and you will have something that you can pass down through your family for a long, long time.

Hook 'Em!!

Chris Durkee

[​IMG]

30. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

How's he doin"?

That man was a God at my Jr. High School.

The Hill Country relays with the bells on his shoes
    The Anchor leg that he made of that ground up on (Texas relays or State, I don't remember)
    The Olympics
    The University of By God Texas

God Bless, Mr. Jones ( I can't do the Johnny thing either)

Are these still for sale?

I have a ton of pictures of the tower, but I will keep his and give mine away for x-mas.

Oh, and this didn't suck.....

youtube.com/watch?v=SpC5FruBHU4