Back in the day, why did Dallas hire....

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by TheFied, Jan 12, 2008.

1. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Quinn Buckner. For some reason I just remembered that. How long did he coach there? Was Perot Jr the owner then? If so, then yes Cuban is 1000x the better owner.

2. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

It was the early to mid 90s, and Carter was still the owner.

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Quinn Buckner was well spoken and he had been a gritty, hard-nosed point guard. He was a smart player who learned from Bobby Knight. Problem is that he hand't coached much.

Sometimes the best guy for the interview is not the best guy for the job. Then again, maybe the roster was so crappy that Pat Riley coudn't have coached them to more than 20 wins in a season.

4. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

Buckner alienated probably my favorite Mav of all time Derek Harper.

Harper was still a solid player in the league.

For that he deserved to go.

Boy....the Mavs used to be such a pathetic team. You guys realize that this years team is not halfway through the season and has won more than the 92-93 and 93-94 teams combined two year record.

last years team won more games than all the Mavericks team combined between 1990 to 1994.

5. AggieFactFinder

AggieFactFinder 250+ Posts

the funniest thing about the Buckner era was the timeouts. The players would go to the bench. Buckner would huddle with his assitants in or near the lane while they told him what the hell he needed to do. Then late in the timeout he would join the team at the bench and try to explain what his assistants had just explained to him.

6. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

7. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

It was believed that the reason the Mavs were no longer contending was because they lacked discipline. Buckner was supposed to remedy that. Instead of improving the situation, the move completely backfired. The Mavs got worse to the point where they challenged NBA records for futility. It somewhat reminds me of the Weltlich hire.

8. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

9. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

Bond. Walter Bond.

11. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

The Sean Rooks, Randy White, Doug Smith combo in the post was quite dominant.

Where is that Randy White guy? I remember his 2nd season the DMN did a big article on this really expensive Mercedes he bought. I remember thinking to myself "I hope he's saving some of that jack, because he ain't long for the league". That guy sucked. Only the mavs would draft a guy because he came from the same school as a recent superstar.

12. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

13. Mr Bean

Mr Bean 100+ Posts

I used to be neighbors with Randy White. He lived in Plano and seemed to have managed his money pretty well.

Back in my wild and crazy single days, I saw him at a bar one night. I was drunk and fearless. So I asked him if he would play on my YMCA team. He didn't find it as amusing as I did.