Back Ribs

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by numbereleven, Feb 2, 2008.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

OK, couldn't pass up some cheap back ribs at Costco, have a huge slab. Need some advice on cooking them.

I've already applied dry rub and have them in a plastic bag in the fridge for tomorrow. The HF.com cookbook gives some good direction, but I'll ask anyway.

No, I do not have a smoker. Yes, I have an oven and a grill.

2. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

No smoker? Hmm. How close do you live to Son of a Son?

Link

How big is your grill? Is it gas or charcoal?

3. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Pretty good size, but gas. I know, I know.

I've decided upon going for 3-4 hours in a 225 oven, but trying to decide when I should have 'em on the grill to get some flame kissed goodness. First? Middle? Finish?

4. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

After putting a dry rub on You can cook them on a gas grill - get some wood chips and soak em in water and utilize them. Then cook at the same temperature that you would in the oven. If your grill has two burners - keep one off and put the ribs on that side (indirect heat). You may have to adjust the flame alot to keep the temp at the right degree - cook themm to an internal temp. of 180 to 190 degrees. It may take longer than a smoker or an oven.

Then heat up some stubb spicy BBQ sauce cut the rib slabs in half and poor the BBQ sauce over the ribs and wrap the ribs in foil and put back on the grill/smoker/oven for another 1/2 hour and the meat should nearly fall off the bone if done right -

Cooking ribs in child's play - I can get them right nearly every time. Cooking brisket is where the big boys play - still trying to nail the perfect brisket

5. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Well, they're off and running. Realized too late I could have photographed some food pron for you, but will report back on the results.

6. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

Well, one of the best things I've made in a while. Marinated with mustard and dry rub. Seared for 5-6 minutes per side on the gril, then into a 225 oven to braise with apple juice. Served with sauce on the side. The bones looked like they had been boiled they came out so clean.

Thanks for the tips.