Bad fan behavior at DKR Saturday night?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Burnt Orange Bevo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

During the TTech game Saturday night on ABC, viewers could clearly hear some chants at DKR of "Bullsh*t, bullsh*t" on certain calls by the referees. (Part of me thought it was funny, but another part of me thought it was bad when it's heard on national TV.)

This article by the Daily Texan claims that Tech fans received bad treatment. Can anybody at the game confirm or refute?

Fans' behavior deplorable in Saturday's win

2. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I was all over the place and I did not see one incident. Matter of fact I observed many fans telling Tech fans good game. It's night and day how they were treated compared to how I was treated last year in Lubbock. The only thing that I thought wasn't right was our fans disrupting their school song. Not cool.

[​IMG]

3. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

“We’re Texas.” We have class. We do not threaten opposing fans and do not threaten our own fans.

That’s right, there were Texas fans being attacked verbally by other Texas fans.

All the nonsense going on in the stands did not help the team. The crowd was only loud on a few plays and there were times in the game where players on the defense had to put their hands up and signal to the crowd to get loud. Fans at Michigan, Ohio State and Alabama don’t need a Godzillatron to tell them to get louder.

what is this guy a freshman? he acts like he has never been in the student section before at a night game. Maybe Hurwitz is experiencing some guilt for passing on Rosh Hashanah...his piece reads like a complaint letter to a local newspaper, looks like a future editor to me.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

he has never been to a michigan game obviously.

5. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Let the visiting school play their damn song. Having both bands at a game is a great part of college football. Everytime someone does this I remember aggy yelling their "Beat the hell" BS during a moment of silence for veterans during a Memorial Stadium dedication. Don't be aggy.

6. Murphy'sBoy

Murphy'sBoy 1,000+ Posts

Agree with oilfield 100%. I'm embarrased when we drown out the other school's song. That's just rude and chickenshit.

7. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

Not happy to hear about the band incident, that's bush league. I would say the crowd sounded awful on TV, but that would imply that I could hear them...

8. JBK

JBK < 25 Posts

I totally agree. Why would you want to boo another school's song? Also, why would you boo a team like Louisina Monroe for entering the stadium as we did this year? It doesn't show any class, and it doesn't even make sense.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

Drunken students yelling at other drunken students, what a shock...

There were a shitload of Tech fans in the tailgate areas and several sitting near us, I didn't see anyone getting hassled at all. Opposing fans are going to get **** in the student section of any stadium in the country, in the end how 'classy' your fanbase is will be determined by the behavior of non-students. To that end, we are up there with any successful program in America; I qualify with 'successful' because I'll bet being an opposing fan at say, Duke, isn't a bad experience at all.

I agree with the other posters about drowning out another school's song, just like booing a team (other than OU) when they enter the field. You don't have to sing along or clap, if nothing else just shut up and don't acknowledge anything...

10. HornInWville

HornInWville 25+ Posts

The only things I heard were the Tech fans around me crying about the refs.

If you're really going to get upset about things in STUDENT SECTION at a COLLEGE GAME, then you don't deserve to watch football. There isn't a school in the nation that doesn't have drunk students. And sorry, an opposing fan sitting in a student section is asking for it. I would never do that anywhere. Lame article.

11. Shark4

Shark4 2,500+ Posts

Oh my!

12. Breehorn

Breehorn < 25 Posts

My wife went to Tech and we ran into some of her friends at the Champions Club during half time that had seats on the forty and were almost in tears about how they had been treated. Apparently security offered to throw the fans(UT) out but this group (2 girls 2 guys age 34ish) opted to leave instead. I was very embaressed. The tickets were provided by the assistant AD. I expect he is pissed as well.

I just don't understand why people fell the need to take it that far.

13. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Some people have been to games at Tech and been mistreated badly there, but that doesn't make it acceptable behavior. Tech fans can be really horrible.
    I didn't see any incidents Saturday night, but sorry to hear there were some. The main student section, which I used to love to sit in because of the enthusiasm, is now a cesspool of foul-mouthed drunks, and I can't stand to sit there anymore. Or maybe I have gotten older.
    The only fan "incident" I witnessed was a disgruntled Tech fan out in the parking lot walking back to the tailgate-he was yelling at every passing UT fan something about how we wouldn't win the Heisman trophy now. I never heard anyone say one word to the sad, pathetic moron-I just laughed.

15. Cuernos_Largos

Cuernos_Largos 250+ Posts

To all UT fans complaining about the behavior of UT fans towards TECH fans.....come on!!!!!! It is not even close to how they treat UT fans in Lubbock. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Have you guys ever been to a game in Lubbock??? You not only get treated bad at the game, you get treated bad everywhere you go, restaurants, streets, bars, etc.

Maybe UT fans are tired of their bull$hit!!! So no, I don't feel bad about it. We are TEXAS and we should act with class, but one can only take so much.

I still remember when they beat Simms and Co and they completely destroyed their bleacher seats and they totally messed up the UT trailer that was outside the stadium.

Do you not remember what they did to aggy?? The goal posts??? PLEASE!!! Maybe YOU need to go to a game in Lubbock so you can see why people can act like that towards TECH fans.

16. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Truer words have never been spoken.

17. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

I can't get over how poorly written this Daily Texan article is! I don't think a 19 year old with poor writing skills should be lecturing people on how the entire 102,000 crowd should act, much less tell us his view on how the entire stadium was from where he sat in his little seat.

He has yet to learn the words: generalizing, qualifying and exaggeration.

18. starchild

starchild 500+ Posts

the fans at the horseshoe were the only fans that i've witnessed that were worse than the fans at jones stadium. if some of ours misbehaved, they shouldn't have. but i guarantee they weren't nearly as bad as the fans in lubbock.

19. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

I hope that writer sits next to me at the OU game because he will never want to attend another game again. I will be drinking and will be yelling obscenities about OU the entire game.

I will not sit, I will not stop yelling, and will not stop boozing at Texas games.

20. Unques prist

Unques prist 250+ Posts

I have never been to a Tech game at Jones Stadium, however, I know several 70+ year olds, including my father who were threatened and had their vehicles vandalized while attending Tx/Tech games there. They refuse to go back. That place by all accounts is full of jackasses, not just students. I would never mistreat opposing fans at DKR, and I do not condone other Texas' fans acting poorly, but I have not been on the bad end of mistreatment either.

21. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

Did we rush the field three times during the final second of the game like Tech fans did last year? No. Did we rip bleachers out of the concrete on multiple occasions like Tech fans did last year? No. Understand that as bad some people claim it was in DKR-TMS on Saturday, it was an absolute madhouse in Lubbock last year. If they can dish it out at home, they should be prepared to take it on the road.

22. Olhorn

Olhorn 100+ Posts

I was in 104 and saw security going up 103 and a little later came down following 2 tech students. I assume someone texted that number given at the start of the game. Only thing I saw. And, it was classless to chant and so forth during the Tech alma mater.

23. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

24. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

25. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Listen, everybody knows the tceh students & fans (inlcuding many jackass alumni of theirs) lack in the "classy fan" dept. OK... they're pretty much ******** plain & simple. Typically, not always, when you witness a Horn fan going off on another fan, its usually a provoked reaction at least the majority I've witnessed. Sometimes we have one of those overzealous jackasses, we're not immune from them.

I don't understand all their hostility other than they live in the bloody desert, are of average academic accomplishment and drink themselves stupid during their 6 years there as undergrads. I remember as a student and even as a young, single professional treating many fine Tech females to a very good time. We all kissed and hugged as we walked them back to their cars around 6 street the next Sunday. They were always all smiles, many would come back the very next weekend in spite of their next game being in Lubbock. I mean, those girls were treated VERY well.

So, I find the basis on this article opinionated and very in the minority. Few tceh fans get abused in Austin.

[​IMG]

26. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I was surprised that I didn't see a single incident of our fans being bad to their fans. Of course, I was nowhere near the student section.

27. dgnr8

dgnr8 100+ Posts

the best was when the TV cam caught the classy kid in the front row with the "I c*m orange" shirt on.

28. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

Their fans got harassed in OUR student section?! Seriously?! If you have the balls to sit in our student section, you better have thick enough skin to take some abuse. Plain and simple. I don't go sitting in opposing fans' student section expecting them to bake me a damn pie. Get real.

29. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I did not see any Tech fans being harrassed at the tailgates, walking to and from the game or in the stands. Our season tickets are in 102 frow 14 and there were Tech fans scattered around the sections and didn't see any incidents of Texas fan bad behavior. We never seem to have the incidents reported in other sections.
    However, a couple of rows down (row 11 or 10) there were two Texas Tech girls wearing red dresses marked with Texas Tech and Alpha Phi that stood the entire game and started every "guns up" with their middle finger and then slowly changed fingers to the proper finger. On one occasion someone behend them sent a note asking them to please sit down and the two girls(college kids) responded with a laugh and their special "guns up".

30. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

We have some jerk fans. My son (UT freshman) had a total jerk in his section. Drunk, cussing at everything and everyone in sight the whole night. Security finally threw the guy out while his girlfriend looks on in embarrassment.