Bad fan behavior at DKR Saturday night?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Burnt Orange Bevo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kmac30

kmac30 500+ Posts

we saw a fight almost break out between 4 tech guys (dad, son and 2 of son's friends) and a UT fan. son and friends were probably 19/20. someone bumped someone, tech son said something, UT fan said a lot. dad got really involved. UT fan ended up walking away. security showed up really quick. tech fans walked in and not sure what happened to UT fan. this was the north east entrance. just words, nothing special.

2. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

The UT equipment semi has been vandalized at one game venue in its history: Lubbock.

3. longtex

longtex Guest

4. guy noir

guy noir 100+ Posts

I can confirm conduct in Lubbock. Some tech guy was in my seat and refused to leave, saying "F you," when I showed him my ticket. The usher would not move him. They found me another seat in order not to "create a scene."
    Those who come to Austin are getting what they deserve, although I, too, prefer a better receptioin in Austin.

5. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

Stuff will always be said to vistors in any team's student section. Some things said will be worse than what's appropriate or even good natured ribbing.

But, the whole Texas-Fight stadium cheer during the other team's school song just has got to stop. This is not the first time it has happened and is incredibly rude. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. GiantHorns

GiantHorns 250+ Posts

I was in section 112 (upper north end zone) and the only fans I witnessed being out of line were Tech fans. One guy was getting so ridiculous with his "Texas sucks" garbage that I almost went Philly Eagle fan on him.

Another guy was up there being obnoxious with his "guns up" crap and yelling stuff like "What do you losers think now?" everytime Tech did something positive.

"Loudmouth trailor park trash" would sum my impression of Tech fans from the tailgate areas to the stands. To me it's like the know they are irrelevant and not a real rival so they have to be loud and run their mouths to get noticed.

I guess it just depends on where you sit as to what your gameday experience is. If I had to write an article in the Daily Texan it would have been about how classless the Tech fans were and how lucky they were to be around a bunch of classy Texas fans that didn't send them back to their trailor parks with a few reminders of where they were.

7. bassale47

bassale47 1,000+ Posts

The writer of that article definitely sounds like a noob if he thinks Tech fans were treated poorly, but he's right about one thing: I am utterly embarrassed that we have to flash "MAKE NOISE" and "LOUDER" all over our stadium to get even a hint of reaction from our crowd.

What's even more embarrassing is when the fans are so loud when we're on offense that our players have to instruct them to shut up. I remember Colt having to do this a couple of times last year.

8. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

I didn't see any bad behavior directed towards Tech fans but it is sad that our fans are no longer smart football fans. I think the Cowboys need to take some football classes and understand when they are suppose to fire Smokey - especially not when a TD gets overturned. However, since most of the stadium clapped as well I guess they weren't the only idiots.

Plus, the students yelling Bull **** when the call was clearly right was very aggy...

9. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

The whole "they're dicks to us up there so we'll be dicks when they're down here" is a bunch of ***** ********. Anyone can be a big man when you outnumber someone 1,000 to 1, doing that only because you know you can get away with it makes you a loser, regardless of what happened to you some other place.

Real gangsta-*** niggas don't flex nuts, 'cuz real gangsta-*** niggas know they got 'em

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

A friends mom was spit on a couple of years ago at Tech. She did nothing to provoke this other than have the audacity to wear Burnt Orange.

11. The Horn Identity

The Horn Identity 500+ Posts

I agree with 'they do it, so we do it' is a stupid argument'. And, 'we do it to a less degree than they do' is ******** too. Either it is right or wrong.

I'll go a step further to say that if you see poor behavior of our fans, it is your job to call them out on it. Sitting by is just condoning it.

We're Texas. We don't stoop to others level.

12. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

We had two tech guys, one next to us, one right above us,....the one right next to us was actually alot of fun....he actually asked if he could take a pic with my longhorn hat on....so it is now on facebook for all to see...and everytime horns scored, with a little proding, he high-fived me...lol...he was very cool...but he went wild when tech scored....now thats the kinda of opposition fan I love to sit with, IF i have to sit next to one....

And I also think it was way out of line to chant loudly over the other teams alumni song.....RUDE.....doesnt matter if they do it to us.....we are suppose to be classier than that.

13. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

I have never seen bad fan behavior in Austin toward visitors, but after getting abused by Baylor fans in Waco each year, sometimes I wish we did have some bad behavior reaction to counter this crap faced on the road. The Horns are just too polite to be bad fans, guess that is how we were raised.

14. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Its a double edged sword. I easliy agree with those who say "We are Texas" and to show class and give respect to visitors regardless of who they are. And I really do think that we should bite the bullet and not lower ourselves to that level. But man oh man, is it ever easy to empathize with those who want to dish out a little of Tech's own medicine back to them. Especially if they have been a victim of Tech's less than stellar hospitality.

15. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

I have to ask...and I'm afraid some of you are going to say yes- Do you guys think it's rude to yell "SUCKS!" when Oklahoma fans are chanting "OU! OU! OU!" ?

16. Cowtown_Red

Cowtown_Red 100+ Posts

17. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Cowtown_Red,

Your fan base is 0-2 with how I was treated in lubbock. Then I seen two Tech fans jump an OU fan in the stands a few year back. I was there because Texas was on bye that weekend.

One other story, a good friend of mine who works at the courthouse there in lubbock said he knows this Attorney that got sucker punched by another Tech fan. The Attorney and his wife were in a long line at the concession stand and these two drunks who were brothers cut line. He asked them to move to the back of the line and one of them punched him right in the face breaking his jaw.

I know Tech has some good fans, but I think you are minimizing how bad of a problem you have there. It's right out dangerous and a place like that (University) should be the last place to find thugville.

18. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

19. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

20. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

as a long time bbser, these "(fill in the blank with the school of your choice) fans are so classless" threads never fail to crack me up.

there's the stories (those devils spit on my mother), the generalizations, the ever present good (us) versus evil (them) theme. it's very silly actually.

every school has it's jerks and every other school can tell stories about them. how many threads has this very forum here seen talking about how bad those ags or how bad those sooners are.

and we've learned here today how bad tt is--and baylor too.

if i'm oklahoma state, i'm feeling discriminated against.

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately most of the posters here never experienced the bi-annual abortion in Arkansas. Constant harrassment from the time you crossed the state line until you crossed back over.

If the '69 team would have had to bus back, I doubt very seriously if they would have made it safely out of the state (the Ark. state police have a certain way of looking the other way when "discussions" involve someone with shoes and teeth).

22. cowboyg

cowboyg < 25 Posts

I am one who has never had a good experience in Lubbock. I have been spit on, my buddy was sucker punched last year by a 50 year old in the Tech alumni section (his wife works for the alumni assoc), and all 4 of my tires had the air let out of them as well.

THe person writing this article is one of the people you see in the library on game day. He has no idea what a football game environment is like. This story floats like a lead filled balloon.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

24. Cowtown_Red

Cowtown_Red 100+ Posts

so if it happened a long time ago it's okay?

Look, if a top 5 team comes in and we beat them, that's still a huge win for our program and our students. As long as a mob mentality doesn't set in, let the kids have their fun. You're only a college student once.

I'd love it if we get to the point where a win of that magnitude is just a "good win", but we're obviously not there.

25. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

I have been to every UT/Tech game in Lubbock since 1994. Without question, I would say that it is the single worst venue for opposing fans of any place I have been in the country. Losing there is the ******* worst. You know that when you are leaving, at least three or four women are going to get in your grill and talk ****.

Women.

You know that you are going to have **** thrown at you and you will become concerned for your safety at some point. That is just how it is in Lubbock.

What pisses me off about it is that these jerkoffs probably don't know anywhere near as many players on there roster as I do. It is just a good excuse to raise some hell.

So, do I get my panties all in wad because somebody gave some these ******* retards a hard time in Austin? No. Not so much.

26. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

Anytime you get 102,000 people in one area there is going to be some incidents of bad behavior. That's just the way it is.

I tailgate with a large group and we had almost a dozen Tech students at our tailgate and they were all first class guests. I think they enjoyed the day and we enjoyed being able to show them a good time. That's the way it is supposed to be.

Good manners never go out of style.

[​IMG]

27. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Two wrongs don't make a right but one thing at TT that is very dangerous is fans rushing the field like they do after the game. And this goes for other schools like Washington, etc. The thing is a safety issue. If they don't have crowd control they need to not have games in Lubbock and that will get them to develope some control. A tragedy somewhere is just waiting to happen.

28. omahawk

omahawk 100+ Posts

let the opposing band play their song. don't treat others disrespectfully.... that said, i'm not too bothered that raider fans were treated that way. i've never gone to lubbock without being treated like crap without provoking anyone. we're better than that, but i'm not losing any sleep over this.

29. obsessedhorn

obsessedhorn 100+ Posts

30. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

I'm sorry, but the repeated use of the term "verbally attacked" in the manner it does on these thread is repulsive to me.

"verbal attack". So serious about being yelled at?