Bad News -- recruit Leitao arrested

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Feb 28, 2017.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

WOW! I am impressed. The Kampus Kiddie Korp is doing something besides stopping cars at the checkpoints and reporting burned out lights?

Seriously, at least that overwhelmingly stupid dumbass from Columbus, Ohio is gone. That clown instituted a plan to evacuate Memorial Stadium by having you go to your car, driving to the stadium (19th, 21st, or 23rd) and then driving away from the stadium.

2. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Not sure in Okl, but in Texas 17 is tried as an adult. Selling on a school is going to be a pretty big deal. Really doubt he can get this down from a felony. If it was just possession, maybe, but not distribution. And if he's guilty which sounds he is, he doesn't need to be on this team. Having a relative just get out of rehab, I'm not real fond of the dealers pushing this crap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Befote going into teaching as a second career I spent 11 years as a juvenile probation officer. During that time I saw young people guilty of much worse crimes become good citizens. How about we don"t throw him out with the trash just yet.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I would suggest that removal of a free ride in college is not the same as "throwing him out with the trash". I respect your sentiment because young people most definitely can change for the better after making some hideous mistakes, but let's also consider that transformational change is often most directly brought about by experiencing negative consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

And the TE curse continues. :facepalm:
    I am getting a curandero to out some reverse juju on Peyton Aucoin.
    Seriously this **** is getting weird. What's next?

• Like Like x 3
  6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

With all due respect, I would disagree strongly with this.
    There are loads of research (scientific, psychological, spiritual) that significant, "transformational" change more often results from deeply positive, often inspirational or spiritual, or supportive events that enter into one's life either as part of an organized, planned series of events; or sometimes spontaneously and unexpectedly.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yeah if you took out "most directly"

but no one thinks he deserves a cupcake party.

8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I think most on here are at the "expect the worst, but hope for the best" stage. I don't see much glimmer of hope based on the facts so far.

9. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Another Xanax fan in the campus watch. Apparently Xanax is in with the current 16-24 year olds.

2300 Block of San Antonio Street

Possession of Substance in Penalty Group 3/Assist Other Law Enforcement Agency: A UTPD officer observed a vehicle displaying registration that had been expired for nearly a year. The officer stopped the vehicle and identified the driver. The driver quickly determined that the driver had a warrant for her arrest for Driving While License Invalid. The driver was then taken into custody. A search yielded one Xanax pill and a yet unidentified little blue pill. The driver did not have a prescription for the Xanax. Possession of the pill without a prescription is an offense. The driver was transported to Travis County Central Booking. Occurred on 03/03/17 at 5:52 pm.

10. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

She might of had the little blue pill for her boyfriend?

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Leitao case was reduced to a misdemeanor

So, .........

12. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I'll trust Herman on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If, and that's a BIG IF, he is accepted, follicle test him regularly, and the person collecting the hair has to personally extract the hair from his head.

14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I cannot speak directly into the validity of research, however I can speak with much authority regarding my own transformation 30 years ago and yes, positive events and being given a second chance had a huge impact on my life.
    Disclaimer- I am about as conservative a man as you will find- so this is going to shock the anti Christian liberals here. BUT...I work with kids in deep trouble, not as a career, and the prison system punishment method does not work. no debate. The only thing that I have seen work, and even then just most of the time, is a second chance from someone who has genuine interest in our youth. AND the biggest difference between a lot of folks I know (maybe even whomever is reading this) in be incarcerated or not being incarerated and thus spiraling down the rabbit hole is the fact of not getting caught and or having the monetary funds to get out of a situation if you were caught.-
    Stupid mistake by this guy, yep. Deserve a break- yep, just like I did.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1780001-texas-te-signee-has-felony-charge-reduced

"..... Leitao's four-year deferred sentence means if Leitao stays away from any legal trouble and meets the probation demands of the district attorney's office, Leitao's record would be cleared. Leitao will be required to keep the DA's office of advised of his whereabouts over the next four years and meet some obligations, including speaking to others about not making a similar mistake.

Reese's father, Dave Leitao, is the basketball coach at DePaul University in Chicago. The rest of the Reese family remained in Tulsa, where Leitao last coached, so Reese could finish high school at Jenks.

Smallwood said he and Leitao hope the plea agreement will clear the way for Reese to hang onto his scholarship at Texas.

"I think the indication the family got from Coach (Tom) Herman was that Reese would be able to keep his scholarship to Texas (if the felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor)," Smallwood said. "It's not totally up to him, of course. The athletic director and others will have a say.

"But Reese knows he's been given a great opportunity here, and I feel as confident as I can that this young man will not disappoint."......."

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

We should not take this guy

18. LonghornCatholic

You think this is bad news, word is Fowler is out too.

I'll let somebody start a thread when/if it becomes official.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  19. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

• Like Like x 1
  20. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I lean towards taking him. If we set the bar at a misdemeanor gets you kicked off the team, it's a slippery slope.

His terms of probation will be plenty incentive to tow the line. Getting kicked off a football team will be the least of his problems if he fails to comply

• Like Like x 1
  22. LonghornCatholic

I think Fowler would have squashed the rumors himself via twitter if untrue.

Hope not but likely, he gone.

23. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

There's a big difference between a real misdemeanor, and a drug dealer who pled down to one because he had a good lawyer

• Like Like x 4
  24. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I saw a quote somewhere this morning from the lawyer, even he was surprised at the outcome.

I think it’s a very bad decision to take a drug dealer despite whatever the court decides to call the offense. His teammates and future players need to know that this is a line you don’t cross, imo.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well said, Dio. If one of your core values is no drugs ( and it is for both Tom and Charlie), then I don't see how you can rationalize allowing Leitao on the team. Kid may deserve a second chance but it does not have to be provided in Austin, Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

This. We may need his services now, but not taking him will pay dividends down the road. Kids need to know that, if for no other reason, they should stay away from any drug activities because it is very bad for your career.

I agree with this too. I can see taking a kid who is charged with a misdemeanor, but this is not the case here. I don't want him. TH already screwed up, IMO, taking on Casey Horney. He doesn't need this aggravation.

• Like Like x 1
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm still fine with the coaching staff deciding what kind of leash they put him on. I'm not ok with a total free pass, but don't think it has to be one or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Let the kid play, he made a mistake and was charged with a misdemeanor

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

From what was described, he was CHARGED with a felony but was able to plead it down to a misdemeanor. That does NOT mean the original conduct was simply misdemeanor in nature.

There are all manner of plea agreements that see people plead to a reduced offense title, many of which are essentially legal fictions for the purposes of judicial economy.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I seem to remember a DT that Texas and many others recruited hard that ended up with a marijuna business at Tennessee. My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember the kind hearted Stoops brothers giving the kid a second chance. I honestly don't remember much of him on the football field, but I never heard that he screwed up again either. The human equation doesn't work without a little grace and forgiveness. Sometimes you can just talk to somebody and tell whether they are genuinely repentant or arrogantly think they're too smart to get caught again. Somehow I trust Herman to engage on this one and make the right decision.