Baggy Shorts

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by beaVo, Jan 23, 2008.

1. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

can the switch from tight "john stockton" shorts to the big baggy shorts be pinpointed to one year, or was it a gradual thing?

and who was responsible for it?

jordan?

2. LightTheTower

LightTheTower 100+ Posts

I believe the Fab Five of Michigan generally gets credit for the change. Perhaps not the first, but definitely brought great attention to the look.

3. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

after a little research, it seems most believe jordan was the main influence, and it was a gradual switch from about 1990 to 1993, or so.

and apparently the nba is fining teams for not sticking to the "2 inches above the knee" rule.

4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

A lot of them look like friggin capris for girls now. Clamdiggers turned into basketball fashion.

5. toughandcool

toughandcool 100+ Posts

Webber and Fab 5 are the reason.

6. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

What the Horns are wearing right now could be considered culottes because they actually have pleats. This, in my opinion, is wrong.

7. LosIllini

LosIllini 250+ Posts

Definitely late 80's early 90's. I remember Illinois' Final 4 team in 1989 wore at least one set of uni's that had the longer shorts- which brought some commentary from the critics. Not as long as the shorts seen today, but weren't the nuthuggers either, emulating Michael Jordan. Fab 5 took it up another notch.

8. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

FAB 5 at Michigan is the first team that I remember wearing them. Whoever said Jordan, go look at old footage he definitely wore nutters as a Bull for many years

9. they're awful. i wondered how dj and aj would be able to bounce the ball between their legs without the ball getting lost in there.

10. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Actually UNLV with Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony, Anthony Hunter et. al were the first to go baggy shorts. I don't know why the Fab 5 of Michigan, which came a year or so later, gets the credit. They definitely went with shorts a little longer than that of UNLV, but they certainly didn't start the trend in college basketball.

As someone noted above, Jordan started the gradual shift to baggy shorts. He wore his UNC shorts underneath his Bulls shorts for good luck so he needed bigger and baggier shorts to compensate for them.

11. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I was wrong Jordan didn't wear nutters but they definitely weren't the baggy shorts

[​IMG]

I think the reason the FAB 5 gets credit is that they took to an extreme level very early on.

[​IMG]

12. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

13. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I saw a Jordan poster that showed him year-by-year, and it was definitely a progression. That doesn't answer the question, but it does get me one more post.

14. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

Arkansas early 90's teams had shorts longer than most today sport. Alex Dillard and Corliss Williamson in particular!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. LightTheTower

LightTheTower 100+ Posts

[​IMG]
    Nutters

[​IMG]
    A little bigger.

What occurred in between.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Owlhorn

Owlhorn 500+ Posts

I believe there was simply a casual transition, and this can be seen with all of the games on ESPN classic.

1.) My freshman year of high school was the Fab 5 first year. Our Varsity had almost the same unis as Michigan, baggy shorts and all, and black socks.

2.) I specifically remember my 8th grade team having baggy shorts, while my 7th grade team didn't. That seemed to be the critical year.
    [​IMG]

3.) I have LSU/Bamalama 1992 recorded from ESPN classic. Both teams have relatively baggy shorts on. Especially Shaq and Sprewell
    why the baggy shorts? Well, this was '91. In AAU ball that previous spring/summer, almost every team wanted to be the Runnin' Rebels or the Blue Devils

17. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

I remember hearing the Fab5 bringing in the baggy short and black socks fashion

18. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

AJ has the worst. Those are almost going to his ankle.

19. BDog

BDog 250+ Posts

20. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I work at a community college and I was at our game this afternoon. I watched our point guard dribble the ball between legs, and I was seriously concerned that he was gong to lose the ball in all that fabric. Like GOO, I wonder if the shorts (longs??) ever interfere with the between-the -legs dribble?

21. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

22. iluvthisbbteam

iluvthisbbteam 100+ Posts

I hate the shorts the Horns are wearing this year...wonder if they like them...do they have any say in the decision when the uniform selection is made?

23. bentwookie

bentwookie 100+ Posts

At the game Saturday night I got the sense that Bob Knight does not allow the really baggy shorts...either that or they looked much shorter b/c UT's were so long and baggy. I did notice that the Texas Tech players seemed to pull their shorts down lower than most teams to compensate for the short length.

24. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Up untill this year, I had always assumed that RB had some kind of "above the knee" rule. I'm almost sure that this is the first year that clown shorts have been allowed.