Baking Chicken

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Tailgate, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

I had some baked chicken the other day at The Mess Hall cafe in Austin that was pretty damn good. I have been wanting a good baked chicken recipe and wanted to see if anyone here had first-hand experience of some fall-off-the-bone recipes.

Cheers and Hook 'em!

2. Golden Steer

Golden Steer 250+ Posts

I use what's called a Romertopf (spelling?), a clay pot you soak in water, and then cook it.

They're about 15-30 bucks, depending on size. The clay absorbes water during the soaking, and steams the meat during cooking, keeping it nice and moist.

90-100 minutes for a fryer, at 400 F. Rub the bird with spices of your choice. Open the pot up once, to drain off the drippings, or use a small rack to keep the meat from soaking it up. Use a bit of the drippings for gravy.

Open up the pot for the last 10 minutes, for a crispy skin. Let stand for 10 mintues, and enjoy moist, tasty bird.

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

This is what he is talking about. I have a friend with one and attest to what he says. It's true and I am now reminded that I want to buy one. Thanks for the thread and reminder.

Yum.

4. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Thanks for the input. Sounds delish.

It just so happens one showed up as a Mother's Day gift [​IMG]

Can't wait to try it out.

[​IMG]