Balcones Country Club

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by tropheus, Jul 11, 2007.

1. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

Anybody got the inside scoop? How are the courses, what are the costs of membership, is membership worth it? Do you have to live in the neighborhood? Is there a benefit to living in the neighborhood (besides proximity)?

We're toying with the idea of moving out of central Austin to that area because of property taxes and too big of a mortgage on our investment property that we moved into. Not the biggest fan of north Austin, but the thread re: Westwood, Canyon Vista got me thinking...

2. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Two Courses- Petty good track, and open to anyone who can pay the dues for the most part.

We do the "Summer Social" membership as the pool is our main draw. Missed seeing Will Sexton last night at the Summer "Tunes on Tuesday" weekly music shindig.

They are still doing the $1000 initiation fee deal I am pretty sure, and I think the monthly pop is like $300 with a portion going to food. Not as nice a Great Hills. I am pretty sure you can buy a card for $250 (that is NOT publicized) that gives you 10 rounds with a cart.

I was dragged to NW Austin from my cozy abode in Travis Heights. I must admit I do miss being able to go out and party and get a $10 cab ride home. The only thing I really miss is access to the music scene, but with so much time invested in the kiddos I wouldn't have the opportunity that much anymore anyhow.

If I had time to play more golf I might go for the full membership, but to me the social is the way to go.

3. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

The golf courses are no better than Riverside. The layout is interesting, but the maintenance is not much to be excited about. Save your money to play some of the nicer daily fee courses in town.

4. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

tropheus,
    I belong to Great Hills up in that area and really like it. PM me if you have any questions/interest.

5. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

Grew up playhing both Balcones courses. Balcones GC is nice, but built to be an "old man's" course - flat, short, decently easy, although the back side has a few exceptional holes. Spicewood GC is really an underrated track - it has challenging holes, there are birdies to be made, and in general upkeep is on par or exceeds local muni quality. It's not Austin GC or ACC or Barton Creek, but you aren't paying those prices, either.

Add to that that the staff and pro shop folks are some of the nicest that you'll find, and the low cost to entry, it's a very good deal. If you're purely looking for the best golf/best conditions, check out Great Hills. I never understood the hate between the members of these two clubs - GH is a fantastic track, and the golf community at GH is extremely serious. You can find a 'game' whenever you want it. But you also pay more, the course doesn't really lend itself to walking, and you only get 18 holes out of the deal.

6. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I would be looking for cheap, close, easy golf (I'm kind of an old man in some respects when it comes to golf) with pool, tennis and food options to boot. The idea of a slight step up in muni quality and difficulty sounds perfect actually -- and $300 per month is nothing. The only problem is I'm not 35, I'm 32. Certainly they'll let me play golf on the weekends though?

I'll investigate GH too.

Summer79 -- We're in a similar boat -- we lived in 04 for two homes and now in 3. We've made a killing, but It's just too expensive to live here for my tastes. But, the access to downtown is unbeatable, but with kiddos, we don't go downtown at all (except for work). The other thing is, I want a neighborhood where my kids can ride bikes, etc. Where we are, there is too much "cut through" traffic in the neighborhoods.

I like the Westwood idea and that CC has always intrigued me and the neighborhood is pretty solid, so it seems.

7. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

8. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

The Spicewood course was in no better shape than Hancock when I played it last. It was terrible, total waste of $40.

The layout is interesting enough, but the course quality is abysmal. There were many spots where I was in the rough and had a better lie than my playing partner who was sitting in the middle of the "fairway". I live on the Great Hills CC course and its in MUCH better condition (though I have never actually played the course, the one hole I can see is 100000x better quality). However, if I remember right, Great Hills is also considerably more pricey.

Either way, I would rather drive to the Star Ranch, Avery Ranch, and Teravista's of Austin and pay a daily fee. Thats my suggestion.

Edit: Great choice on the Westwood area. I grew up there, went to UT, and wanted to buy my first house there (and did buy my first house there). Love the area.

9. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

I grew up there too (further north), but moved from Anderson Mill elementary area to Round Rock in the 4th grade. Still resent having to wear maroon uniforms and listed to the burnt orange clad WW Warriors play March Grandioso at football games.

10. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

My brother built a house there in 1971, and still is in residence.

Be advised that the homes were all on septic tanks originally, and not all have done the costly hookup to the sewage system that Austin installed a few years ago.

Nice neighborhood made up of all custom homes which can still be reasonably priced, unlike the crazy downtown housing market. Driving time to downtown is <15 minutes.

11. ninerhorn

ninerhorn 100+ Posts

chitwood,

hope things are well for you. Give us the 411 in GH. Initiation, monthly, etc.

thanks

12. Raduck1

Raduck1 < 25 Posts

I have been a member there for 4 years. The golf courses are getting better. It's been tough with all the rain lately. Also we didn't overseed our fairways this winter which led to some bare lies, but the bermuda has come in strong. The one thing that I really like about the club is the people. There are a lot of friendly people and its always easy to get a game on Friday or the weekend. I do believe they still have the $1000 initiation going and if you are under 33, I think you can sign up on a JR membership which is lower dues until you turn 35, which I am doing this year. They have sold out of all the $250 cards. If you have any questions, please PM me.

13. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

did an Austin Home Search search of that area -- unbelievable the prices (compared to "central Austin"). For substantially less money, I can get nearly twice the home, nearly twice the lot, a pool if I want it (I don't, not now with really young kids), better schools and a semi-private golf course, tennis court and pool complex right down the street. I won't get 20%+ a year in appreciation, but at this point, I think we're done with our real estate speculation days (9 years in 04 and 31)...

14. WithoutAClue

WithoutAClue 100+ Posts

In case somebody gets serious about joining Great Hills CC, I
    have a membership there that I need to sell. I don't know what
    the club is currently asking but I'd be happy to match/beat it
    for a fellow HornFan.

PM me if interested.

15. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

niner,
    I'll try and dig up the GHCC information today and post it. As stated, I'm a member so if anyone wants to join, let me know and I'll get a referral. It's possible I could get a referral and you could buy Without a Trace's membership, so we both win. If not, he certainly has more on the line than me, so he gets first shot. [​IMG]

16. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

For Great Hills CC:

I've got three different documents with a bunch of information--if anyone wants them, send me an email at gregshields@akllp.com and I'll forward them.

The gist is for full membership over the age of 34:
    $3500 Stock (payable in 4 payments – at signing, 4 mo, 8 mo, & end of 1st yr)
    $3000 Initiation Fee
    $ 325 Monthly Dues
    $ 100 Per quarter food & beverage minimum

For ages 21-34, still full privileges:

$3000 Total Initiation Fee
    $ 244 Monthly Dues, ages 21 – 29
    $ 325 Monthly Dues, ages 30 – 33

Category I (Age 21-29)
    $1500 of Initiation Fee paid at signing and $1500 payable at the end of their 1st year
    Note: At age 35, Stock purchase is required
    Category II (Age 30 to 34)
    $3000 of Initiation Fee paid at signing
    Note: At age 35, Stock purchase is required

There is also a promotional membership going on now:

The Associate Membership
    12 month commitment required
    *Tee times may be made 2 days in advance*
    No Stock Purchase Required
    $1,500 Initiation fee (plus tax)
    $ 325 Monthly Dues

17. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

$5K more up front, then essentially the same. hmmm.

18. UTGal

UTGal 100+ Posts

Troph, as a past Membership Director of GHCC, I would suggest the Associate membership (without the stock purchase) to begin with. The Pro at GHCC is fantastic and the course Super really knows his stuff - well worth the money, IMO.

19. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

well then it's essentially the same price. the only issue remaining is which might be closer and that can only be determined by where we move.

20. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

I was a member at both when I was young (not at the same time). There is no comparison - Great Hills is much, much nicer than Balcones and Springwood. The course layout is much better and it is kept in better shape.

I did not like the Balcones course at all (extremely boring layout and usually pretty bad shape). Spicewood was only slightly better. Two courses is nice, but if you don't enjoy either one, then it doesn't make any difference. Great Hills has some fun golf holes, with enough of a challenge for good golfers as well.

21. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

we don't go downtown at all (except for work) Non sequitur.

22. El_Guapo

El_Guapo 500+ Posts

I played Balcones a while back for some kind of charity deal was shocked at how bad it was. Like someone mentioned, it was not much better than Hancock. I can't imagine joining up when Great Hills is right down the road and the monthly dues are essentially the same. I've never played Great Hills but I jog by it or through it all the time and there is simply no comparison.

23. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

Bah, this decision is too hard.

Move south and join Onion Creek instead. Unless they've changed something since I last inquired, it's $5,000 initiation and $245/mo if you're under 38. 27 holes, tennis, pool, clubhouse, etc.
    Sure, if you move south you won't be in the Westwood district anymore -- you'll be in Bowie, Akins, or Crockett. Schools, schmools, these kids go to college too.

24. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

mish,
    When I was looking at places to join, I loved Onion Creek. Location was the only problem--I was not going to fight that traffic to try and cross town from my house.

25. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

we almost bought our second house in onion creek before schools were an issue.