Barking Carnival Big 12 Football Previews

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Scipio Tex, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

We are counting down a team a day until August 21st. Baylor and KSU are already in the books.KSU The Link

Baylor
    The Link

After thoroughly mocking my inability to elegantly link URL, I hope you will enjoy.

Hook 'em.

2. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

3. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

I've been puzzling over it since I left the stadium. We got our asses kicked pretty badly at home by a 5-7 team. That kind of **** hasn't happened since the McWilliams days.

4. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

I always thought the reasons were pretty easy to find:

1) Kick returns
    2) Turnovers
    2a) Defense not forcing any turnovers
    3) The QB being beaten to a pulp because the O-line was lousy.

5. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

I've gotten myself thinking (which is rare). Before last year's K-State game, when was the last time we lost at home, by double digits, to a team that finished with a losing record? I'm thinking maybe Baylor in 89, but they might not qualify.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm sure it happened in 97 at some point.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn 1,000+ Posts

Brilliant work so far Scipio.

KSU is funny- they seem to have our number even when we are better. They can't seem to beat A&M, even when they are better than the Aggies.

7. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

10/25/1997 Colorado (5-6) 47, Texas 30
    11/25/1989 Baylor (5-6) 50, Texas 7

* - Colorado officially forfeited all its 1997 wins for using an ineligible player, but Texas officials maintain records based on what happened on the field

The last time Texas lost at home by double digits to a team that finished more than one game under .500 was 11/29/1980 to Texas A&M (4-7) 24-14.

The last time Texas lost by 20 points or more at home to a team that finished more than one game under .500 was never.

8. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

9. Dusty

Dusty 250+ Posts

Actually the Beach Museum of Art was designed by Charles Moore while he held the O'Neil Ford Chair in Architecture at UT. An addition was recently tacked on by Arthur Andersson and Christopher Wise, both with UT ties as instructors and student (Wise). The difference (when compared to tract building) is in the details.

10. panhandle2

panhandle2 25+ Posts

Thanks for a great read, Scipio. Always enjoy your stuff.

11. TexasGarcia36

TexasGarcia36 25+ Posts

Don't forget that KSU was coming off a bye which gave the team 2 weeks to work on some zone-blitzing schemes that Texas had never seen from them before. Couple that with an injured and inconsistent offensive line and you get beat by twenty at home. The thing that still bothers me the most is seeing KSU's coach dancing on the sidelines as the game ended. It was really bush-league and classless. [​IMG]

12. Horn@AC

Horn@AC 250+ Posts

[​IMG]

He wasn't dancing after this one.

13. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

14. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

15. purplestatic

purplestatic 25+ Posts

if texas had played ksu in late november, they win by 30.

16. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I got really tired of seeing Nelson catching all of those wide open passes. Reminded me of #11 from Nebraska around '01. Team has one guy that can catch and we can't cover him.

When Prince is gone in a year the next coach is going to inherit a shitload of JUCO's. Much worse team than what Prince inherited.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

18. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

19. bull rush

bull rush 100+ Posts

Had to smoke a cig after that analogy/metaphor orgy.... Do you guys keep score?

.....have to admit though, some of them are damn funny!

20. techie

techie < 25 Posts

At least you didn't lose to Colorado the past two seasons.

21. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

22. Scipio Tex

Scipio Tex 100+ Posts

Scott told our coaching staff in no uncertain terms that he was a Texas Longhorn up to a couple of days before his public announcement.

So, no, he didn't renig on a public commitment, but the power of the MBRC can't be denied. Scott will develop inflammation of his perineum.