Barrett Confirmation Hearing

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

And this is a topic for another posting, but they most certainly do need to eliminate the law that says insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions. That's not insurance anymore, it's pre-paid health care for pennies on the dollar.

Insurance works when you have a bunch of people who don't need it currently, pool their money together via a company, and then the small percentage who do need it later, are covered by the money paid into it.

That's why back in the olden days, of say 2012, normal people could actually afford decent heath insurance. Now, it's 15 grand a year (I looked this week for coverage for me and my wife) for a crappy bronze policy that covers nothing until you've paid 8 grand out of pocket. But if I had cancer right now I could still sign up for it, or get a sex change operation free of charge I suppose, as an Obama sop to the LGBTQWERTY community.

Right now, it's like being able to add full coverage collision insurance to your car, while you're in the wrecker having it towed off the junk yard. Can't discriminate against my car, the fact it's totaled is just a pre-existing condition.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Indeed. She's better in writing than when speaking. I know a number of folks from Indiana, but I've never heard that form of grating accent before.

(not that it matters for anything)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Amy Klobuchar is bringing a nicer touch, and actually cracking a funny or two about being made Queen. Usually her feeble attempts at humor fall flat.

Earlier, a Rhode Island senator spent almost his whole time diagraming a sort of 'conspiracy theory' about the Federalist Society, private foundations, etc. I don't know if he actually asked her any questions.

They're not treating her like Cavanagh, Bork, or (worst of all) Thomas. As remarked above in this thread, the fact that she is a woman means she gets a softer, gentler gauntlet to run. Aside from her highly annoying accent,* she's pretty likeable from the human standpoint.

*Strictly regarding accents, I'd much rather listen to Edith Bunker or Arnold Horshack speak than her.

4. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Wow that must be a horrible accent if it’s not better than Horshack.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's really odd. I've known people from South Bend, NE Indiana (small corn farming towns near Ft. Wayne), and the Indianapolis area. None of them spoke anything like her.

My best explanation: She's a person with a naturally high-pitched nasally voice, who (for some reason) has always tried to talk like a posh upper-class East Coaster from the gilded age--but much faster.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

She sounds fine to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Duck Dodgers

That was Whitehouse from RI. He's the one who created a bizarre conspiracy theory out of Kaughan's calendar entries as a teen, and who also jumped into great detail about a joke in K's yearbook about passing gas.

Dude is one of the Senate's biggest jokes.

"Those were tha days!!!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

No talk of high school beer parties or Long Dong Silver yet...

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Duck Dodgers

Ahh old LDS. Still call the fish place Long Dong's in tribute.

Give them time though, it's only day 2. The "honkey stole my baby" option is still there - just need to find a Haitian who would claim the adoptees are her babies. If she doesn't speak English even better, so she won't have to testify in person, just give statements the media can rubber stamp as "credible accusations" like they did with the ding bat who accused Kauagah.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That may be it. International adoption horror stories. It's a double-edged sword for the Dems. But, if they want to play to the hard-left black power corner--those folks really hate the idea of trans-racial adoptions. Maybe cite some shrink on the "White savior" complex, "cultural colonialists", or something... There are also examples of poor mothers being tricked out of their babies in Guatemala (and possibly in Haiti as well). If they go there, it will get rather ugly rather quick.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

D D
    His signs and conspiracy were a joke But Dems will believe every word of it
    He ended by saying he was looking forward to asking her questions tomorrow.

12. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Cruz was good today. Much prefer this version of Ted than the one in his first year or two in the Senate

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Cruz has softened his rough edges and conveys a more congenial persona these days. Same substance, improved image.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. horninchicago

Whitehouse. Sounds racist.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And finally some substantive discussion of severability, effect of stare decisis, judicial philosophy, etc. This is by far the best Democrat questioner thus far. Senator Coons of Delaware. Dems should have run this guy instead of that other guy from Delaware.

Just looked him up. The chicken lobby must be behind him. He heads the Senate chicken caucus. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. horninchicago

I'm not watching, so I will take your word for it on the substance, but he was lockstep with the rest of them during the Kavanaugh debacle. So, F him.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He's respectful, but he's digging as much into the substance as he can. She won't answer some things (can't commit to a position on an existing or likely case), but she's answering most of Coons' questions. This is the sort of back and forth that should happen in these hearings. Now he's urging other Dems to "step back from this timing" and wait until after the election.

She really criticized Roberts' opinion on the ACA in writing and they discussed that. I think he may be the only Democrat to address her as "your honor." (I could be wrong, but that's what I recall)

• Like Like x 2
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

There was a recent article about the LDS video tape and how some congressional staff at the time of the Thomas hearing did research on it. Apparently LDS wasn’t well known when Anita Hill said she saw the tape. If I recall correctly from the story, there were 1-2 audition tapes out, but nothing officially released. So the sleuths were 99% confident they caught Hill in a lie. It was just one more item on top of all the other items that made Hill a non-credible witness.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I disagree with her (and some other legal scholars) that some cases are "super" precedents, are put on a pedestal, and get more deference. If, on further review, a precedent doesn't conform with the Constitution, the Constitution trumps the precedent--even a "super" precedent. The precedent is really just a particular set of judges' commentary and ruling on a particular set of facts at a particular point in time. It is not the Constitution itself, and it is definitely not a "super" precedent because it is a famous case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

These hearings have been relatively tame especially compared to the circus of the Kavanaugh hearings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Lots of mansplaining going on with Blumenthal.

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. 2003TexasGrad

She sounds like a hot professor with a naughty side.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. Captain9Dragons

Captain9Dragons < 25 Posts

the hack from hawaii is speaking now, about nothing

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow, she knows how to drop the dangling participle. Man I’m not sure I even remember what that means but her questions lead on and on and then move on so as to prevent any kind of answer.
    Oh, so that’s how they’re wanting to catch her. They’ve been showing all the healthcare cases and now want to get her to say she would allow life impacts to align with her judgements. Slick, but Amy can handle it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 2003TexasGrad

What does the law you asshats passed say?

What are the facts of the case relating to the law you asshats passed?

That's how I'll judge. Suck me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Captain9Dragons

crazy eyes booker up to the plate

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Booker, the master of innuendo.

• Like Like x 1
  28. 2003TexasGrad

Hes such a bad actor, the feigned look of concern in his eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Captain9Dragons

they keep talking about healthcare, thought obamacare took care of all that, they must be skeered its unconstitutional and barrett will correct roberts mistake

30. 2003TexasGrad

These hearings need to be off the air, behind closed doors with reporters present only. Its turned into a grand standing made for TV event. Im sick of these politicians using this platform to promote their own political positions.

• Agree Agree x 1