Barrett Confirmation Hearing

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Clean, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Once again Ben Sasse is masterful
    and it is revealing to see him get ACB to talk about what our constitution is and is for
    instead of the hate coming from the Dems

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So if Barrett had been nominated by Bush and if she had gone to Yale, you'd be ok with her?

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

They are maddened by gridlock. The only way to win is to get a judge to do it for them. Meanwhile the slow march of illegal aliens being waved to California continues; increasing the population in anticipation of further reallocation of the electoral college votes; which even they concede cannot be repealed or amended into oblivion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sen Sasse was doing so well until he went full tilt on the Stros.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Cruz tried to get him back
    But they did cheat
    it did lighten the room

6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I don't think I've said that I wasn't OK with her. I think they should hold the seat open but that's not her fault. I did read that she would be the most inexperienced justice ever but that doesn't mean she's not qualified.

7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Listening to her speak she's hella qualified.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That's one way of looking at it. But when you get a ticket (a fine) for speeding, is that a tax? In a very theoretical economic viewpoint, I suppose any payment you must make to the government could be labeled a "tax", but it appeared to me to be a bit of a stretch to call the ACA mandate penalty/fine a "tax." I recall many being surprised that Roberts pulled a rabbit out of his hat to fit the ACA within the taxing authority. Roberts needed to label it a "tax" to fit the ACA within the taxing power of the federal gov't. Many viewed Roberts' opinion as contorting in order to save the ACA.

9. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Kagan was not a judge before she was confirmed to the SC. So pretty hard to get less than her zero experience as a judge.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What is "experience?" Elena Kagan's first judicial position was on the Supreme Court. She spent most of her career in academia and as a political lawyer. Yet I'd still call her qualified.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  11. 2003TexasGrad

Blumenthal interrupting and mansplaining again. Will the MSM scold him?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Mansplainin' only goes one way. Come on, man. 'Smatta witchu?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Duck Dodgers

He learned that in the jungles of Vietnam, which despite his lies about, he never went to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 2003TexasGrad

Even a clock is right twice a day....

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 2003TexasGrad

OMG its Horono. I had to turn off the TV as soon as she opened her mouth. Im so sorry for everyone that has to sit through it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Poor Mazie Hirono. The Dems on the committee need to get her to donate her questioning time to one of the other Dem Senators. It's painful to watch/listen to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. horninchicago

They are all loons, the Democrats. That's why if any Democrat seems reasonable, it may be in comparison to the likes of Hirono.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Duck Dodgers

She's sitting in that seat for two reasons. 1. She's a Democrat, and there's no chance a Republican will win in Hawaii. 2. There is a very strong party machine there, as it's basically a small, corrupt town (Honolulu), with all the crooked dealings that you'd get in a big city. Once in a seat, it's like a palace coup for someone else to run in a primary and win. If you don't win, you're finished forever, and no one wants to support a losing side, for fear of retribution.

So you end up with senile fossils like her, until she croaks, and there's a competitive race for the nomination.

19. Captain9Dragons

Captain9Dragons < 25 Posts

liberals are concerned about judicial activism

now

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. horninchicago

cn7492644.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The 16th Amendment:

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

How it was calculated:

"Calculating the Penalty The penalty for noncompliance is calculated as the greater of either a percentage of applicable income, defined as the amount by which an individual’s household income exceeds the applicable tax filing threshold for the tax year; or a yearly flat dollar amount assessed on each taxpayer and any dependents. The total dollar amount assessed on a taxpayer (for themselves and any dependents) is capped at 300% of the annual flat dollar amount. For example, in 2018, the annual dollar amount penalty for a taxpayer and three dependents (all of whom were without coverage for the entire year) was limited to three times $695, or $2,085. "

:idk:

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Can you imagine an R-Senator mansplaining to a Dem female nominee?
    Oh my

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I know nothing about her Supreme ability but Man She handles the rude Dems. Good enough for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Pretty sure that’s where good ole Roberts used for his legislating pro ACA.

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    Exactly but then the Dems couldn't whine on national tv that they would rather be voting on a stimulus bill that Pelosi says she will not bring to floor

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

That’s one if the things that get to me, the comments on why are we here when we should be working. I want to tell them this is your job and if your peers would get off their a** and do their job they could get anything done as easily without you as with you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Not sure the word "fee" is anywhere in the Constitution. However, a fee could arguably be deemed as a transaction between you and the government where you are given something for the fee.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The overt politicization of language as it's happening. Link.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    Surely even reasonable Dems ( there MUST be a few) see this for what it is and how dangerous it is?