BA's Preseason poll

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Beau Vine, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

2. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

3. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

Rice and UT not in the top 10?

Arizona St @ 9? They're loaded this year.

Silly poll. Hope they were drunk.

4. Booya

Booya 25+ Posts

This may be a dumb question, but why is Kasparek not listed in our rotation on that site?

5. horngrad03

horngrad03 250+ Posts

6. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Since Drew Bishop is writing the diary this year on texassports.com, does that mean Augie's expecting big things from him this year?

7. slugfest

slugfest 500+ Posts

How about Riley Boening? Seems like we'll need 2 mid-week starters this year.

8. AFKAE

AFKAE < 25 Posts

Way too low

9. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Michigan #8? I'm willing to admit knowing nothing about the Michigan baseball program, but I do know that there hasn't been much of a program until last year.

10. Barton Hills

Barton Hills 1,000+ Posts

I'm growing tired of wondering about Big Bird and Riley ... I really hope they are able to contribute this season.

We need them.

11. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

Rustygreer: I would add Pat McCrory and Kyle Walker to that list. McCrory looked good at times last season and I wouldn't give up on Walker just yet. [​IMG]

12. Truck's Son

Truck's Son 500+ Posts

I'm fine being ranked lower for a change. Only way to go is up for this team. As talented as we are, we do have a lot of unproven talent (on the 40 at least). It'll be nice to have a chance to move up the rankings rather than try to hold on to one of the top spots.

13. LSBR

LSBR 25+ Posts

I think Kyle is going to be given a chance to work out of the pen. Seems to be a comfort level for him there. I don't think he will get a look at closing, although he certainly has closer stuff. He could be a dominating innings-eater in the middle in there.

Kasparek should be ready to be the dominating Friday night guy the Horns haven't had in a couple of years. Boening will likely be March, if then.

Here's how the staff shapes up coming into the spring, based on all the facts I have:

Friday - Kenn Kasparek
    Saturday - Casey Whitmer
    Sunday - Austin Wood
    Mid-Week - Brandon Workman, Chance Ruffin, Stayton Thomas
    Middle relief - Workman, Ruffin, Thomas, Hunter Harris, Keith Shinaberry, Garrett Clyde, Brandon Belt could also see some innings
    Short Relief - Cole Green, Thomas

14. LSBR

LSBR 25+ Posts

Just as an FYI on a couple other teams:

The Baylor series, second to last weekend of the year, should be a whole lot of fun for anyone who enjoys watching good baseball. The Bears are going to be legit. If some of those hitters - namely Aaron Miller and Dustin Dickerson - swing the bat this year the way they are capable, Baylor is one of the top 2-3 teams in the country. Their pitching staff sets up well with Kendal Volz, Shawn Tolleson and Willie Kempf working the starting rotation and guys like Craig Fritsch, Randall Linebaugh and Nick Cassavechia coming out of the pen. They will be outstanding, defensively. Again, if some of those talented bats come to life, the Bears will be very tough for anyone to beat.

Texas Tech comes into this season quietly, but the Red Raiders have a chance to be awfully good too. Everyone knows they will swing the bats, particularly in Lubbock (where Texas must go early on the Big 12 slate), but the Raiders have a chance to pitch too. Nathan Karns, former UT commit who ended up at NC State last year, is in Lubbock now. He has overpowering stuff. Freshmen Robbie Kilcrease (Round Rock) and Chad Bettis (Lubbock Monterey) are awfully good. If Miles Morgan and Cory Large are back to 100 percent, they sure make Tech a whole lot better on the mound as well. And Ramos is a steady guy on the weekend.

Got some more on the Ags, Rice, UH, etc., but I've gotta run now. Will try to post something quick another time.

15. howard

howard 100+ Posts

Regarding Baylor, why are we playing a conference foe in a non-conference game on 22 April? Have we ever done something like this before?

16. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Is Chance Ruffin any relation to Bruce Ruffin?

17. dbfootball

dbfootball 250+ Posts

Father and Son

18. davert

davert 100+ Posts

I quit worrying about early season polls a long time ago. The nice thing about college baseball is that performance on the field answers all questions. It is where we are at the end of the season that matters. We always want to be in the top 8 for super regional opportunities. Lets let our boys play there way to the top.

19. texduncan

texduncan 25+ Posts

20. TexasBaseball7

TexasBaseball7 100+ Posts

We will need every pitcher we have this year. As will all D1 teams if they want to advance. With the shortened season and the possiblility of 5 games some weeks, loaded staffs will be a must. Pray for a healthy Big Bird and RB.

21. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

RB probably won't be available until mid-season, if then. Recovery from Tommy John surgery is a slow process, most of the time.

[​IMG]