Baseball history and Ernie Koy Sr.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by LousianaHorn, Jun 15, 2021.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Valerie Koy (Ted's Wife) posted this on facebook........

Here’s some Ernie Koy history trivia from my husband Ted:
    83 yrs ago tonight - 15 June 1938 - Cincinnati’s Johnny Vander Meer threw his 2nd consecutive no hitter vs the Brooklyn Dodgers in the first night game at Ebbets Field. Until he died at 97 yr old, my Dad was adamant his line drive down the 3rd base line would have been a hit but for the force play at 3rd. “ There’s no way he’d thrown me out at first”, I heard him say many times.
    My Mom was at the game & had taken some 8 mm motion pictures ( new technology for the time), but unfortunately the film has been lost. As a part of the fan fare for it being the first night game at Ebbets, my Dad and Jesse Owens ran an exhibition 100 yd race before the game. Owens, who had won the 4 Gold medals in the ‘36 Olympics, wanted to give my Dad ( & the Reds player) a 10 yds head start, but my Dad said he’d only needed 8 yds & he won by a yard. Not bad for a 210 lb guy running in a baseball uniform.
    1. First Lighted Baseball Game at Ebbets Field
    2. Babe Ruth was Ernie’s Dodger’s Batting Coach
    3. Beat 4 time Gild Medal Olympian Jesse Owens in Baseball Cleats in pregame exposition foot race.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

Ted Koy #24 was always one of my favorites. Ernie Koy, Jr. #23 was too. All three legends

• Like Like x 1