Battle 4 Atlantis

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Born in ATX, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Ok, already looking forward to the next challenge.
    Our first game Saturday afternoon is against Marquette @ 4pm CST (11/19).
    If we win that game, our likely opponent on Sunday @ 1:30pm CST is Louisville.
    Win that game, and we'd likely play Tennessee on Monday @ 11am CST on ESPN.
    Here's the bracket and schedule:
    https://files.atlantisbahamas.com/all/Battle 4 Atlantis/2022 Women's B4A Final Bracket.pdf?_ga=2.83984219.335150041.1668476726-1719497348.1668476726

Other than the Championship game, all other games are available for livestream through Flohoops. Anyone familiar with this service? I can't tell if its a pay service or not. Here is the link to access Flohoops:
    Basketball | Games, News, & Articles - FloHoops

• Like Like x 3
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The Marquette game worries me because they're more likely to play zone. And thus far, this team has struggled against zones. But Vic's teams as a whole have struggled with it since he's been here.

4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'm with you when you said you'd like to see some more motion offense incorporated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

We shot 44% from 3 tonight. If we can keep that kind of production then we’ll be in great shape. I also expect us to turn them over quite a bit so 30% of our shots should come in transition

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

IMO, when you're playing without your best and most important player, you have to accentuate strengths and hide/ cover up weaknesses even more. When you don't have a true PG, the best thing that you can do is to limit the amount of times that they handle the ball by running more motion.

And as @Sincerely hookem mentioned, you don't have nearly the same kind of quickness to press without Rori. So why not just get back and set up on defense in the half court?

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Part of Vic’s press strategy is to wear the other team down and hope it pays dividends in the 4th Qtr

8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Definitely gotta have exceptional ball handling from the facilitator in that dribble-drive for it to be effective. Without Rori we don't have that.

9. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Very familiar and it’s awful. Everything Flo Sports is terrible with blurry video, bad camera angles, and extremely overpriced! It’s going to cost $30 for the monthly subscription and the annual subscription is $150 but be careful because it says $12.50 monthly but it bills you for the year. I learned that lesson the hard way:smh:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Yikes. Thanks for the info Jacob! It says you can cancel anytime, so I guess I'll do the $30 monthly subscription and then cancel it next Tuesday. Its definitely worth 30 bucks to see those first 2 games (or 3 games if we don't make the tournament championship). Its pretty damned ridiculous that these games are not being televised on legitimate media outlets. You can see some really awful matchups everyday on ESPN+, but yet we can't get these high quality games from the Bahamas shown on a real network?

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Flo hoops is both good and bad. With them you can see quite a few games you couldn't see otherwise especially during Holidays. But beware the "cancel" clause. It's in there all right but believe me cancelling can be 10 times harder than registering. They're quite accommodating when getting you on board. But cancelling is frustrating. Nobody available. Good luck.

12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Really appreciate the warning geewago! When its not a trusted source that wants to do a recurring subscription with me, I generally buy a pre-paid Visa card and try to use that to pay with. This keeps the company from pulling their "make it hard to quit you" non-sense. There are laws regulating this. And last year, the FTC issued regulatory guidance on this, including a directive that it should be as easy to cancel as it is to sign up. But I don't know if they've done much to enforce it. Another option is to use your own credit card with a bank that you know will process these types of disputes in your favor. BOA, Wells Fargo and Frost have all reversed charges for me or my wife in the last few years on these kind of BS recurring subscription services where you can never really cancel. I don't really want to deal with a hassle on this, but I do really want to see our games this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Man, chartered flights sure are nice. Looks like the trip to Nassau only took the team about 2 1/2 hrs today compared to the all-day adventures I've had flying down there through Miami on commercial flights:

• Like Like x 2
  14. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

Yes the prepaid MC is the way to go with these crooks. After I typed my post I wished I had mentioned that, but I see you already have that figured out.

15. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Hate to sound dumb, but I never heard of a prepaid credit card. How do you get one?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Rori still in a boot. Doubt we see her in this tournament.

17. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Joe, you can buy them at grocery stores like Kroger's. They look just like gift cards and are sold in the same section.

18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

LL, thanks for the info.

19. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Much easier is to pay with FTT coins using the FTX crypto exchange. It’s in the Bahamas too. Unfortunately there seems to be a glitch today as ALL my money can’t be withdrawn.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Well, her tiktok posts from this afternoon include her dancing in the hotel room with Amina. Hoping that is a good sign? She hadn't posted any dancing vids since 10/31. But I know Vic said at the presser the other day that they are going to be careful with bringing her back.

• Like Like x 1
  21. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Let her rest this weekend and thanksgiving holiday. Horns should beat Marquette and Loouisvile is a tossup. We won’t be penalized too much for a loss to Louisville and/or Tennessee this early. Getting her healthy is critical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

AP interviewed Sonya as part of this clip:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  23. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Can't say I agree with that. And, it's not that you get "penalized" as much as you don't get credit (for a top 10-25 win). I'm still convinced that losing at Tennessee last season cost us a #1 seed.

We only have a handful of Top 25 non-conference level games. We lost to UConn. If we are fortunate enough to win today and then get the chance to play Louisville and (most likely) either UCLA or Tennessee, those really are final opportunities for marquee non-conference wins. Princeton and South Florida are bit below that level, IMO. So, we have to make the most of our opportunities since we will have such few come Big 12 play; for all we know, ISU will be our only chance at Top 25 wins if Baylor and Oklahoma falter.

25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

We’ll, I’m trying to convince myself. All your points are valid. I’m thinking that the decision makers would recognize Harmon was missing and factor that in. With all the teams that will be jostling for seeding, it’s NEVER good to have a loss. The ones I don’t wasn’t to see are the Texas Tech losses and Harmon is needed to prevent that. Perhaps our mid-season conference swoon had more to do with seeding than Tennessee loss. Or not. Theories abound. I think the results against Iowa State will be huge later on. Committees should consider late results and how the current team might perform in The Dance more than an early season loss. Of course Texas won conference championship last year. LOTS of factors. Having said all that, just win these next three in a row and all these bytes will be wasted motion.

26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Tennessee beats Rutgers by 40.

27. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

UCLA up 9 at halftime over North Dakota State.

28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas out-rebounded 19-9 in Qtr 1? Allowed 10 offensive rebounds
    Gonzales with 3 fouls
    Down 20-14

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

We look out of sync and unprepared. They have gotten a lot of points in transition. Hopefully we’ll figure it out.

We’ve cut their lead to 26-23 near the end of the 2Q.

30. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

31-28 Trailing at halftime

Moore & Morris 2 fouls
    Gonzalez and Gaston 3 fouls

30-28 rebounds favoring Marquette so they’re doing better with both teams 13 offensive