Battle 4 Atlantis

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Born in ATX, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

That was as bad of a 1st half as I can remember. And we're not playing a top 10 team this time. Let's see what the second half brings and hope its a lot better.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  2. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

Well I guess I’m glad Flosports isn’t letting me watch the second half. As according to gamecast it’s gone very bad very quickly

3. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The game never came back on after the halftime, on Flospports for me. Frustrating after paying $30. Confusing website.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Ummm…. what’s going on with this team? I know it’s early and we don’t have Harmon but we are going to rely on her to much if this is how we play without her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

Finally cam back for me, 5 minutes+ into the third quarter

6. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Part of it is Vic screwed around hiring assistants and with transfers coming in the coaching staff didn’t have time to work with them as much. Vic fan, but he dropped the ball putting his staff together so late. They will be okay as the season goes on with reps.

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Refs aren't helping either. A lot of poor calls in this game.

8. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Just down by 1 point end of 3rd

Gaston & Gonzales 4 fouls

9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Apparently Jak got the start today in place of Gaston (I’m guessing because she’s still foul prone)

10. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Why would Morris be out of the game in the second half until 8:00 in the fourth quarter? Did she have 4 fouls?

11. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

What's with Vic not keeping Sonya in the game? He's just adding to the level of difficulty. Why not have your best scorer in the game?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

No she only has 2. Maybe her back is a problem again?

13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

SMH :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Morris has 13 points and leading the team in points

15. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Guys, this loss was really bad. There's just no way to sugarcoat this. Marquette is an NIT team at best. We had a real size advantage over them too. This is all on our failure to get a solid backup PG in the offseason. Let's face it - we don't even look like a top 20 team without Rori, and probably shouldn't be there on Monday. We only led this game for about 30 secs. What an awful performance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

My 2 was as in fouls

17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I don't think I've ever heard a worse called game. Surely, Vic's plan wasn't to foul relentlessly until your presence becomes ineffective, miss at least 50% of your free throws and miss every bunny known to man. What, was it jet lag or the brilliant Bahamian sunset Vic promised them? I don't know, but it's definitely no bueno.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Didn't follow the game.

From the box score, Marquette was 22-36 at the free throw line; we were 12-19. Sonya had no free throw attempts. They almost double the number of free throws we shot. Not sure if they were the more aggressive, disciplined, or smarter team, but it seems like from that stat alone.

19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

A-Mo had a double-double and only 2 fouls so that’s a really good development if you ignore the 7 turnovers (20 TO’s total today).

Well Vic will have no shortages of teaching moments.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

I wouldn't put us in the top 20. We lost to an NIT team at a neutral site by as much as we lost to UCONN on the road. Vic is gonna have to "own" and "wear" this one. I wish I could trade toes with Rori until next week. This is as bad a loss as I can remember.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Maybe when Texas plummets in the polls on Monday, they'll get down to business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I don't understand. Why would Jak get so many minutes, while your best player sits on the bench for all but 4 or 5 minutes of the second half. Against UConn, it was Taylor Jones who was held out most of the fourth quarter. She wasn't very effective tonight, but she was against UConn. This pattern reminds me of Matharu sitting on the bench for long stretches last year when she was obviously needed in the game. Is this Vic's way of teaching people lessons? Trying to get minutes for young players? Maybe Morris' back was an issue, but if so it wasn't obvious. There may be a lot of factors I am unaware of, but just looking at the obvious, I don't get it. That's one thing I like about Geno. He figures out his best players and sticks with them. And they don't seem to have a problem with conditioning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That's exactly what it was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Well, the early part of the season is now a disaster. I didn't watch the game, but I'm betting that Marquette played zone. I expect another loss tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In addition to the loss itself, it bumps us into the losers' bracket; we'll have zero chance to play Tennessee. If Louisville wins this evening, we will have zero chance to play the Cardinals. Instead, we'll get to play 2 teams who will not help our SOS/RPI whatsoever, and most likely hurt it. We already had a relatively weak non-conference slate; this tournament will end up burying it. While there's so much season left, we won't have the marquee wins needed to be in consideration for a #1 national seed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

At this point that might actually be a good thing. After that loss, this team needs to try to build some confidence.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Nah. I'd rather have won tonight in a squeaker, even if it meant a loss to Louisville tomorrow.

29. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

So would I, but that's not reality at this point. The reality is that this team isn't very good right now. Even in areas that don't have anything to do with the PG. IMO, at this point they need confidence building from winning. Not potentially getting blown out or losing to better teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I agree with a lot of that. But, they'd have gained some confidence tonight had they completed the comeback.

And, playing against Louisville (even if resulting in a loss) tomorrow would allow this team to understand how far they have to go improvement-wise while helping SOS.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022