Battle 4 Atlantis

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Born in ATX, Nov 14, 2022.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Gonzaga hands Tennessee their fourth loss of this young season. Wow...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

And the Jack Rabbits are up on Louisville 26-19 at halftime

3. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

My memory is not always spot on, so feel free to correct me. I think I recall a season in the not too distant past where there was much hand-wringing about the direction of the team, during the months of December and January. Coach of said team was focused not so much on wins but on progress. "Come watch us in February". Anyone remember how that team did? We've got 2 frosh and 3 transfers playing regular minutes. And another transfer in the wings. It takes time to learn and embrace Vic's system. But once they do...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

And the Jacks take down Louisville

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Despite the cloudy dreary weather in the Austin area since Friday, we can always count on the sunshine pumpers doing their part here . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

From what I can see on the Flohoops video feed from a distance, Rori is standing at halfcourt during warmups with Jordana and appears to be wearing her boot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Tipoff has been moved to 6:49 pm due to late finish of last game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

13-9 TX, end of 1st. Still playing a bit ugly. Missing too many shots, and have 5 TOs. Sonya got an elbow to the mouth or chin (ruled unintentional) that has caused some bleeding. They might be giving her a stitch or two at the break. She's our leading scorer with 5.

9. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

32-20 TX at the 1/2.
    Shay drained a couple of 3s. Has her career high right now with 11 pts.
    Amina hit a 15 fter from the baseline at one point. Didn't know she had that. She's been a presence and has 6 pts and 5 rbs
    We're forcing Rutgers into a bunch of TOs, but then making dumb TOs ourselves.
    Defense has been pretty good. Offense and taking care of the ball, not so much.
    Refs still very badly need to go to school.
    Announcers can pronounce Ndjakalenga, but not "Faye" for some reason.
    I think Vic wants to get the W and then hurry up and get home. Nassau has been a real trap for higher seeded teams.

• Like Like x 3
  10. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

Thanks from those of us without the feed.

11. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

52-37 TEX
    Team consciously feeding AMO in the Qtr. She scores 9 in the Qtr, takes 2 charges, and has played good help defense.
    Rutgers cut lead to 10 at one point.
    Shaylee has no points right now, and has played 22 mins. She's gotta be really tired after 3 straight days of running things.
    Holle still leading scorer with 13. Ndjakalenga has 3 fouls in only 8 mins through 3 Qtrs. Wish she could get that figured out (bad refs not helping)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

AMO takes another charge! Then asks for a break. She's gonna need the ice bath. We're pulling away now in the 4th. 62-39.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Hattie fighting for RB with Rutgers player and goes into stare-down mode with both players jawing. Refs trying to sort it out, but it just looked like talk to me.
    Announcers doing a little feature talking about "Vic Schaefer's daughter Blair" and the genius cameraman zooms in on Sydney. LOL.
    Break in action so refs can talk about nothing. 67-41 TEX, 5:43 left in 4th.

One of Rutgers' players ejected for allegedly coming onto the floor during the "scrum". Tech Foul - Gonzales hits the 2 FTs and we get the ball.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Pouring it on now. Texas 73 - 41 with 4:27 left. Iowa State just called to see if Rutgers wants to play them later in the week. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

This was good practice playing against zone defense all game long

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Announcers just gave kuddos to Vic for hiring all female staffs. Now going on and on giving Blair kuddos as being ready to be an asst. coach. Hattie lost a shoe. AMO lost a shoe earlier. Need to get that figured out. 78-44 with 2:13 left and Femme comes in.

• Like Like x 2
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Has Taylor Jones not played much in this game?

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  18. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

82-44 Final.
    Amina ends up our leading scorer with 14. Shay and Sonya with 13.
    AMO gets the post-game interview and Rori ends up "video-bombing" her interview and gets pulled in as well. Props up AMO, says she really likes the improvement by the team, but we need to keep it going.

• Like Like x 6
  19. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

(Screwed up the reply-this is in response to the question about Jones’ minutes) Not a ton. I attribute it to the zone, traditional post up was not going to work. Gaston and Moore had much better chemistry in breaking the zone, so there wasn’t much need to keep Jones out there.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

#3, 6 and 11 came into this tournament and they left #19,10 and 23. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  21. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

That was kinda strange. She only got 15 mins, most of it early. But AMO and Amina were playing so well, I think Vic decided to roll with them. And then gave Hattie some needed minutes in the 2nd half.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I followed the game just once via live stats at the beginning of the 4th quarter and then was shocked to see the final score. The live stat link disappeared, but here's the NCAA box score:
    NCAA Statistics
    Wow, outscoring them 29-7 in the last quarter will certainly change the final score!

Noticed from Shay's minutes that she's out of the doghouse.

• Like Like x 1
  24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

If I’m not mistaken they had zero turnovers in the 4th Qtr? Pretty sure they had 15 at the end of the 3rd but not positive

• Like Like x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

A much needed win regardless of the seeding implications. They need to try to build off of it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think we're seeing just how important continuity and cohesion is in basketball. Louisville and Tennessee brought in a number of transfers just like UT did. Having that experience of playing together is so important.

• Agree Agree x 9
  28. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Some of yal really don’t understand basketball at this level at all and it shows “real bad”. Creakyhorn made a ref to past seasons and wbbnut connected the dots about how the teams with transfer are struggling. All of those teams I think will figure it out. The teams that don’t have tons of freshman and transfers are winning because it was less teaching. Be clear we have 4 transfers 2 fresh, and 2 soph that we are expecting to just be what paper say they gonna be and it just don’t work like that. Plus Vic ain’t give them no cupcake schedule like some others like lsu, Stanford, Iowa and IowaSU. We playing really good teams. Somebody made the red that Marquette was a NIT team but they returned most of that deep NIT run team back and it’s showing. Moral of the story hold on it’s going to be a ride!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

What I like is that we are playing good teams early and showing fight without Harmon against these teams. Teams like LSU will get a rude awakening for playing such a cupcake schedule and think they are doing something special. Hopefully Harmon returns Sunday and we can really get into business! That’s going to open up a lot for Gonzales and Morris as well as our bigs. Put these games behind us and use this win and build upon it:hookem:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Damned right you can.

• Like Like x 5